Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sacramento woman inundated with packages she never ordered
Posted by: hal
Date: December 29, 2022 02:08PM
[www.abc10.com]

The boxes originate from addresses all over the United States, including Iowa, North Carolina and others.

"The same thing over and over again. I have never ordered a portable heater. I don't need one," she said.

They were all shipped to her home where she's lived for around 40 years.

"I'm just getting tired of opening the front door and having a bunch of boxes sitting out there," she said. "I want to know who's doing it. And if the police don't help you, the post office, UPS doesn't help you, where do you go?"

That's when she called ABC10. We helped her dig through the boxes to find out why this was happening. The boxes had no name, but her home address was listed. The packages had return service labels with her address listed as the recipient.

It appears as though her address is being used as the location to send returns for an Amazon seller of these plug-in portable heaters, which left Mathews with a few concerns.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sacramento woman inundated with packages she never ordered
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 29, 2022 02:31PM
I'd Ebay enough portable heaters to nab me a Mac Studio.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 29, 2022 02:33PM
out of boredom, I found the item on amazon - utterly useless. Claims to be a 500w heater that plugs into an outlet like a nightlight. Probably not even 5w. With all of the failed sales, it would take a LONG TIME to get that Mac Studio.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 29, 2022 02:45PM
hal
out of boredom, I found the item on amazon - utterly useless. Claims to be a 500w heater that plugs into an outlet like a nightlight. Probably not even 5w. With all of the failed sales, it would take a LONG TIME to get that Mac Studio.

They got commercials for those. I guess I'd have to take them to a swap meet. Probably be responsible for burning down multiple homes.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 29, 2022 03:05PM
Twice I've gotten random Amazon returns send to me. The first one I sent back to the sender. The second one I wised up and merely tossed after a waiting for a period to see if something more came of it. At the time, I had been selling off my kids college textbooks and whatnot via Amazon third-party, which I presume is how they picked my address. Both were super-crappy electronic ripoff products. Lucky for me, it sounds, it has not continued.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2022 03:05PM by Acer.
Posted by: gadje
Date: December 29, 2022 05:28PM
Someone must be losing money on this. I suspect it is a form of money laundering, although the volume is not high enough to justify the effort.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 29, 2022 06:41PM
gadje
Someone must be losing money on this. I suspect it is a form of money laundering, although the volume is not high enough to justify the effort.

Another thought, is that they know the product is garbage, but it's cheap to produce and they sell enough to justify it, but they don't want to deal with the returns, so by providing a bogus return address, they don't need to provide any labor to deal with the returns (they just issue a refund when the tracking shows it as delivered).
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 29, 2022 08:32PM
Another thought, is that they know the product is garbage, but it's cheap to produce and they sell enough to justify it, but they don't want to deal with the returns, so by providing a bogus return address, they don't need to provide any labor to deal with the returns (they just issue a refund when the tracking shows it as delivered).

Another thought — they have a disposable address for a store front, they know the product is garbage, but it's cheap to produce and they sell enough to justify to make a comfortable profit, they don't want to deal with the returns, so they provide a bogus return address, and when they feel it's time to move on, they do, no refunds required.

I think either of the above makes a lot more sense then money laundering.

Another thought — somewhere along the line, there was some kind of typo, and her address was accidentally listed as the return address.

If the packages are not addressed to her, but are addressed to her home (as stated in the article) there should be much of a problem to tell all the carriers — UNKNOWN — and they should stop delivering.

Some might slip through for awhile, but that should be all it takes.

I suspect that's what will happen.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: gadje
Date: December 29, 2022 08:36PM
I agree, as I said, money laundering did not make much sense.

You both have better ideas than me here, LOL.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020