advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
More on LastPass - the coverup is even worse than the breach
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 29, 2022 02:20PM
If you use LastPass, I would take these concerns seriously.

[9to5mac.com]

'9to5Mac’s Take
It’s clear that the LastPass security breach was not only far worse than initially revealed, but that the company engages in a number of practices I would personally consider unacceptable.'

'Based on what we now know, I would not consider LastPass as a password manager.'
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: More on LastPass - the coverup is even worse than the breach
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 29, 2022 09:11PM
I used LastPass for a couple of years and then stopped. But I didn't delete the account. I just erased all of my settings and then deleted the account--perhaps after the horse is out of the barn!
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: December 30, 2022 10:55AM
So is there still a standalone/ single payment version of 1P available?

I have searched there sight until I’m blue in the face without any luck.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us." Justice Robert Jackson
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: December 30, 2022 11:12AM
Harbourmaster

No. Perpetual licenses are long gone. They don't care about individuals. They only care about lucrative corporate/family plans and vault-sharing, online and subscription-only.

If you want control over your own data look into something like Keepass or Bitwarden or the iCloud-keychain password manager.

I'll give the AgileBits folks this: They appear to salt their passwords well. The folks at LastPass were (IMHO) criminally negligent in respect of how they dealt with master passwords.

Posted by: pqrst
Date: December 30, 2022 01:44PM
This gets worse and worse. Thank you for posting. I am a paid lastpass user and have becoming less and less happy over the years. Last week, after the revelation about how bad the hack was, I started to use Bitwarden to enter my passwords and do a new password at the same time (in Bitwarden). I figured that my lastpass vault was exposed if not cracked, and now it turns out they have or will be hacked. Yikes!!!!!
Posted by: pqrst
Date: December 30, 2022 01:46PM
Michael
I used LastPass for a couple of years and then stopped. But I didn't delete the account. I just erased all of my settings and then deleted the account--perhaps after the horse is out of the barn!
I think that I would consider what you had in the vault to be compromised (or will be). And if you haven’t changed those passwords since then, you should now.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 30, 2022 02:33PM
Harbourmaster

Download link for the latest version of 1Password 7: [app-updates.agilebits.com]

A perpetual license can be purchased from within the app, according to this thread: [1password.community]

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2022 02:36PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: December 30, 2022 05:14PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Harbourmaster

Download link for the latest version of 1Password 7: [app-updates.agilebits.com]

A perpetual license can be purchased from within the app, according to this thread: [1password.community]

v7 is not supported and can stop working at any time.

Posted by: Michael
Date: December 30, 2022 06:59PM
pqrst
Michael
I think that I would consider what you had in the vault to be compromised (or will be). And if you haven’t changed those passwords since then, you should now.

That's a good idea-I'll go ahead and do that. I never did put our primary financial places in LastPass so this security breach isn't a concern for those. And the financial ones have 2FA. I think I'll take this opportunity to also clean house and get rid of accounts that I really just don't use anymore.
Date: December 30, 2022 10:15PM
Tiangou
N-OS X-tasy!
Harbourmaster

LastPass it is, then. RollingEyesSmiley5

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 31, 2022 12:46AM
Tiangou
N-OS X-tasy!
Harbourmaster

I’ve been getting updates this year for 1password7 perpetual license.
Date: December 31, 2022 07:32AM
sekker
Tiangou
N-OS X-tasy!
Harbourmaster

I’ve been getting updates this year for 1password7 perpetual license.

v7.98 was released with bug-fixes for the migration to the cloud-vault in v8, the subscription-only product.

The latest 1PW 7 update also ads an obnoxious promo for 1PW 8 that obscures the tags on the left side of the 1PW window.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2022 07:35AM by Tiangou.
Date: December 31, 2022 03:27PM
Tiangou
v7.98 was released with bug-fixes for the migration to the cloud-vault in v8, the subscription-only product.

The latest 1PW 7 update also ads an obnoxious promo for 1PW 8 that obscures the tags on the left side of the 1PW window.

I have v7.98 installed and I don't have a problem with obscured tags.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 146
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020