advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Crazy night last night - lost internet, then lost power - raging storm caused damage
Posted by: hal
Date: January 01, 2023 01:13PM
It was storming like crazy last night. Winds gusting well over 30mph and hard rain all day and night.

I was watching a hockey game when the data simply stopped coming in. Everything was working, but I verified that the internet was down.

Just as I was contacting Comcast to report the outage, the lights went out. It was a crappy hockey game anyway... I keep a 7w bulb connected to my big UPS so it's not completely dark when the power goes out. I have a couple of solar powered lamps for backpacking that I keep charged and my headlamp will go for over 24 hours on a full charge, so I had light.

[edit] The power company said that something like 150,000 was affected. That's about 1/3 of the metro area.

The power came back on at 4am. Got up this morning and went outside...

The whole back yard is flooded. A neighbor's GIANT oak lost two major branches crushing a rarely used flatbed truck and the fence dividing the property. I haven't even seen what the front looks like yet...

happy new year!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2023 01:20PM by hal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Crazy night last night - lost internet, then lost power - raging storm caused damage
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: January 01, 2023 02:07PM
Heck of a way to start the new year. Let's hope things get better from here.
Re: Crazy night last night - lost internet, then lost power - raging storm caused damage
Posted by: wave rider
Date: January 01, 2023 03:12PM
Got hit hard here on the coast too. I had to do some emergency berm construction to direct the flow of my new water feature. Luckily, I have a power tool…

Round point manual shovel!

=wr=
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 01, 2023 03:37PM
Glad you are safe. It sounds like you weathered the storm. The last time the power went out at our house I noticed all of my wife’s battery powered candles came in handy as they were already spread through the house.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Date: January 01, 2023 05:43PM
a closer up - amazing that the windshield is still intact, but that right front tire looks like it's flat and sunken a couple of inches. Drove to the store and had to navigate a big oak blocking one road. Someone came out and cut enough off so that one lane was clear. Two major stoplights are out. Thank GOD it's a sunday/holiday else I'd still be on the road. Bits of flooding here and there, fences knocked down all over the place. And the Sierras 90mi away looks like a big pile of sugar from down here.

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 01, 2023 07:19PM
As that all moved up the hill, we picked up 32 inches of snow in a 12 hour period, which is really crazy.

Forecasters get excited when we get 3 inches per hour in a storm - yesterday's rate reached 7 inches per hour in the late evening. We also had some strong winds and miraculously retained power throughout the storm.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 01, 2023 09:49PM
And for those in the far northwest corner, they got another earthquake to go with all the weather. A 5.4 to be reasonably accurate…
Posted by: Forrest
Date: January 02, 2023 02:31PM
Looks like the F-450 roof held up well. I wonder what year the truck is?

FYI “ The class action lawsuit includes 1999-2016 Ford F-250, F-350, F-450 and F-550 Super Duty trucks that allegedly have roofs that cannot handle the weight of the trucks in rollover incidents.”
Date: January 02, 2023 02:39PM
Forrest
Looks like the F-450 roof held up well. I wonder what year the truck is?

FYI “ The class action lawsuit includes 1999-2016 Ford F-250, F-350, F-450 and F-550 Super Duty trucks that allegedly have roofs that cannot handle the weight of the trucks in rollover incidents.”

haha! maybe that's why there is a HUGE steel bar on the flatbed that rises above the cab and close inspection shows that it saved the cab. The steel is crushed but only to the verticle support, but it made a 4" (at least) indent on the oak
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020