Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
wifi extender recs . . .?
Posted by: mspace
Date: January 12, 2023 03:51PM
Hello all!

Trying to find an extender for my friend. Her Pilates studio is in an older "warehouse" type space in midtown Manhattan. There's lots of cement/metal, etc.

The space is on one floor, a small room where the Fios router is, and a much larger room, where wifi can be spotty. The teachers work live and also over Zoom, so the connection needs to be stable.

Due to the construction of the environment, I know just the minimum might not be strong enough.

Minimum parameters to look for?
Any brand recommendations?
Any model recommendations?

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: wifi extender recs . . .?
Posted by: raz
Date: January 12, 2023 04:04PM
Wirecutter has a good write up on this.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: January 12, 2023 04:22PM
raz
Wirecutter has a good write up on this.

Any particular article? I put wifi extender into the search and did not find anything specific. Articles about routers, yes.
Posted by: jonny
Date: January 12, 2023 04:30PM
I've been nothing but happy with Amazon's Eero. Rock solid.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 12, 2023 04:46PM
mspace,

Based on the description of the space, I doubt an extender is going to cut it. You could suggest she try one but, in the end, a mesh network system will likely be the best solution. If it was me, I wouldn't even bother with an extender. I'd just go with a mesh network system and be done with it. I'm a fan of Netgear's Orbi systems but there are models from other brands that are very good, too.

Robert
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 12, 2023 04:59PM
Robert M
Based on the description of the space, I doubt an extender is going to cut it. You could suggest she try one but, in the end, a mesh network system will likely be the best solution. If it was me, I wouldn't even bother with an extender. I'd just go with a mesh network system and be done with it. I'm a fan of Netgear's Orbi systems but there are models from other brands that are very good, too.

This is my recommendation, also.

It is what it is.
Posted by: raz
Date: January 12, 2023 05:00PM
Mesh routers

[www.nytimes.com]

Extenders

[www.nytimes.com]

That said, I’m also a happy eero user

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 12, 2023 05:03PM
what Robert said. Or if you like technical fun, FiOS can run MoCA. I have it here in the house and it does an excellent job delivering signal to the 2nd floor on the far side of the house, where no signal had gone before. I bought a cheap ActionTec MI424WR used off of ebay to make it happen.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2023 05:04PM by Fritz.
Date: January 12, 2023 05:08PM
Thanks for the advice.

I doubt she'll go for a new router, etc., as she's using what Fios gave her. (And I do know it's not needed. I use my own with Fios.)

I don't have an issue with reception there myself, but I can see where it might need a bit of a boost. I'll recommend she try an extender that can be returned if it doesn't help. Then I'll talk about a mesh system.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: January 12, 2023 06:01PM
I've found Ubiquiti's network devices to be rock solid and easy to use. I have it running all around the plant.
Posted by: dk62
Date: January 12, 2023 06:27PM
If she already has FiOS router, which has MoCA built in, she can just get a MoCa adapter for the other space. This is what I use in my house, have 3 adapters, cable router (which requires one of the 3 adapters), and an access point. All computers and main video streamers are on ethernet from the adapters, and mobile devices on WiFi. Of course, this assumes that the space is wired with coax.
Date: January 12, 2023 06:37PM
dk62
If she already has FiOS router, which has MoCA built in, she can just get a MoCa adapter for the other space. This is what I use in my house, have 3 adapters, cable router (which requires one of the 3 adapters), and an access point. All computers and main video streamers are on ethernet from the adapters, and mobile devices on WiFi. Of course, this assumes that the space is wired with coax.

No coax. Just a simple space with FIOS connection and router. I need to keep this just as simple.
Date: January 12, 2023 06:38PM
Mspace,

If you end up going with a mesh system for her, you don’t need to replace her router, Many mesh network systems can be used in bridge mode. That way, she can continue using the FIOS router for routing and use the mesh network to create a wifi network. Think of it as using the mesh network system as a ultra capable wireless access point with satellites in strategic places. That is how I use the Orbi in my apartment.

The FIOS router and orbi base station are in my living room, hardwired together. The orbi is in bridge mode. I have one satellite by my front door and another satellite in Little M’s Room. It makes a triangle that ensures quality wifi coverage in the entire apartment. The FIOS router does the routing and we use the Orbi network for wifi. Easy peasy.

FWIW, this is her business. She shouldn’t skimp on a solution If she needs quality WIFI. It’s one of those times to buy the proper hardware and think of it as one of the costs of doing business. That’s why my office and warehouse have a mesh network system. A couple of extenders didn’t get the job done. bit the bullet and bought an orbi system and haven’t looked back. Worth every penny.

It’s configured in the same manner as the hardware in my apartment. Router plus orbi system in bridge mode.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2023 06:45PM by Robert M.
Posted by: rz
Date: January 12, 2023 08:18PM
We spent a ton on the Orbi mesh system and aren't really happy with it. The satellites disconnect frequently.
Date: January 13, 2023 07:18AM
rz,

Some of them can be hit or miss. I've got five different Orbi systems in place. One was a bit flakey. Reset it and moved the entire system to a new location. No problems since. No issues at all with the other four systems. Even purchased a used system on the cheap for the sole purpose of getting extra satellites. That one worked without an issue before I reconfigured the satellites.

Robert
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 13, 2023 08:40AM
rz
We spent a ton on the Orbi mesh system and aren't really happy with it. The satellites disconnect frequently.

agree smiley (but this "smiley" shouldn't be smiling)
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 13, 2023 10:03AM
Robert M
FWIW, this is her business. She shouldn’t skimp on a solution If she needs quality WIFI. It’s one of those times to buy the proper hardware and think of it as one of the costs of doing business.

Definitely agree. Business expense. Tax write-off.

I think the most elegant solution would be to place a single access point in the center of the space (on the ceiling is fine), hardwired to the existing router.

My suggestion is always to run a network cable if possible. That will ensure a solid connection between the access point(s) and the base router.

Wireless repeaters can help to increase coverage but may also slow everything down due to interference of communicating wirelessly with the router.

www.dongknows.com is a great resource.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 13, 2023 10:31AM
I’ve sold enough Netgear stand alone extenders and Netgear mesh systems like Orbi, to not recommend them. May be pricey, but an Eero (or Google?) mesh system is definitely easy and reliable.
Date: January 13, 2023 11:50AM
mikebw

www.dongknows.com is a great resource.

Yes, it is.
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 13, 2023 01:24PM
I have a TP-Link mesh router system (router plus two remote nodes) and happily recommend it. I don't think my system cost more than $150 when I put it in at the beginning of the pandemic and I haven't really touched it since, except to update the firmware, which I really just did for fun. With mesh you don't have to think about which network or transmitting node to choose initially or as you move around the space, and you don't have to tie devices like Rings, Nests, or printers to any piece of router hardware. And you can just drop another mesh node somewhere to augment your service whenever you feel like it with minimal configuration.

Extenders are 15-year-old concepts and were never that great to begin with.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 13, 2023 01:35PM
tenders
Extenders are 15-year-old concepts and were never that great to begin with.

Agreed. Using an extender (which is actually a repeater) reduces max throughput by 50%.

[www.screenbeam.com]

It is what it is.
Date: January 13, 2023 02:24PM
Tenders,

Exactly. I still remember the time when I needed two distinct WIFI networks in my apartment to get full coverage. To say it was annoying is an understatement. I still have the MoCa hardware that was a part of it in storage. No longer needed to use the MoCa hardware or the other router (in bridge mode) once I switched to the Orbi system. Adding additional satellites as necessary took all of a few seconds.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 152
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020