advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Trying to update an older MacOS
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: January 19, 2023 02:37PM
I have a late 2015 21.5" iMac running 10.11.6 El Capitan. According to Mactracker this computer should be capable of running 12 Monterey however Software Update doesn't show any sort of MacOS update. I've been scratching my head trying to work out why and then thought maybe it's because it requires an APFS HD as I know that at some point that was going to be necessary. I reformatted an external HD using APFS with the idea of cloning across to it then reformatting the internal to APFS and cloning back again. Unfortunately the iMac cannot see the external drive. It's a partition with two others and they show up but they aren't APFS. Bit of a Catch 22 situation where it should be able to run a later system but only if it is on APFS but does not recognise HDs that use that.

Any thoughts good people?

Paul
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trying to update an older MacOS
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 19, 2023 03:25PM
Update the OS to High Sierra/Mojave for the AFPS conversion and firmware updates first.
Posted by: Black
Date: January 19, 2023 03:47PM
Same thing here, also on El Cap. Unfindable in app store.
But try following the link on this page (open with App Store.)
[support.apple.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 19, 2023 03:59PM
btfc
Update the OS to High Sierra/Mojave for the AFPS conversion and firmware updates first.

I would think those components would also be part of any subsequent OS version update. There's no way Apple would permit a Sierra user to install a Big Sur upgrade without having included those components.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 19, 2023 04:39PM
voodoopenguin
I reformatted an external HD using APFS with the idea of cloning across to it then reformatting the internal to APFS and cloning back again. Unfortunately the iMac cannot see the external drive...

10.11 needs HFS and won't see APFS vols.

Erase the external as Mac Os Extended (Journaled) and clone to it and then test to confirm that it will boot.

...For so big a jump (from 10.11 to 12), you should have *at least* one backup anyway.

Try This download link:
[apps.apple.com]

Posted by: btfc
Date: January 19, 2023 04:44PM
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 19, 2023 07:33PM
OS updates

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: January 20, 2023 03:01AM
Many thanks to all, I am steadily making progress with the various steps towards my goal.

Paul
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 202
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020