advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help in identifying this interesting tree
Posted by: d4
Date: January 25, 2023 07:45AM
This old tree was sadly removed from our local train station while major renovations were taking place. Does anyone recognize what type of tree it was? If I plant one in my backyard I know it'll never get to this mature size in my lifetime. But just out of curiosity, I'd love to know the name of it.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help in identifying this interesting tree
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 25, 2023 07:57AM
Hard to see the leaves on it.
The bark looks like a crepe Myrtle
Did it have flowers in the spring?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: gadje
Date: January 25, 2023 08:19AM
my friend has a trunk like that (tree is dead, only the trunk remains). I think the tree was already dead or dying when he bought the house. He kept the trunk because of the interesting shape. Removed the bark and exposed the bare wood and applied a layer of finish to make it shiny and protect from the elements. It looks like a piece of art. I can ask him later if he figured out what kind of tree that was, but I doubt he knows.

EDIT: also if you specified the region if may make the identification easier as it eliminates the species that usually do not grow in that region.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2023 09:24AM by gadje.
Date: January 25, 2023 08:55AM
Oops. Yes, i guess mentioning the zone would be helpful.

This tree was located in New York. Zone 7a.

I'm not sure if it flowered in the Spring. It did have interesting reddish bark from what I remembered. The twisty trunk form and airy leaves was what I remember most. It's one of those things that I never really paid attention to. But now that it's gone, I miss it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2023 08:56AM by d4.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 25, 2023 09:00AM
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 25, 2023 09:04AM
It probably isn’t a crepe Myrtle if it is in 7a
I can’t tell from the pics if it had leaves or needles, like maybe some kind of cedar tree.

I looked and it seems crepe Myrtle will grow in 7a, so might be

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2023 09:06AM by rgG.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: January 25, 2023 09:06AM
If you can remember or discover more details such as the leaf shape, leaf growth patterns, fruit, etc., the free iOS app VTree can guide you through figuring out what tree it is.

[apps.apple.com]
Date: January 25, 2023 09:28AM
rgG
It probably isn’t a crepe Myrtle if it is in 7a
I can’t tell from the pics if it had leaves or needles, like maybe some kind of cedar tree.

I looked and it seems crepe Myrtle will grow in 7a, so might be

The tree had leaves. Plenty of crepe myrtles in the surrounding areas. I look at one every day in my backyard.

Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: January 25, 2023 03:29PM
Top 6 Trees With Red Bark-

[www.treemusketeers.net]

I'm guessing it was either Eastern Hemlock or Water Apple, based on those descriptions.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 176
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020