advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
They slipped the surly bonds of earth
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 27, 2023 05:18AM
This week marks the anniversaries of our nation's worse three spacecraft disasters. Let us remember the brave crews who perished in the pursuit of exploring the unknown.

January 27, 1967
Apollo One - Edward White, Gus Grissom, Roger Chaffee

January 28, 1986
Challenger - Michael J. Smith, Francis R. “Dick” Scobee, Ronald E. McNair; Ellison S. Onizuka, Christa McAuliffe, Gregory B. Jarvis, Judith A. Resnik

Feb 1, 2003
Columbia - Rick Husband, Kalpana Chawla, William McCool, David Brown, Laurel Clark, Michael Anderson, and Ilan Ramon

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2023 06:51AM by Ombligo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: They slipped the surly bonds of earth
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: January 27, 2023 06:26AM
Progress often comes at a price and, in these cases, a very heavy price,

RIP!
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 27, 2023 08:31AM
The Challenger disaster was the one that got me.

Christa McAuliffe, the first teacher in space - all those schoolkids watching…

I just went home that day. It was so horrible.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 27, 2023 11:44AM
Challenger happened on my 16th Birthday. I asked my mom to let me skip school, she said yes. But. I woke up early anyway to watch the launch.

We both sat in stunned silence. I cried on her shoulder.

Thinking about this reminds me of 9/11. I was off that morning, was going to have breakfast with her. We saw the second plane hit. She cried on my shoulder.

After Columbia, I told my buddy about Challenger on my birthday.

"You're not allowed to have birthdays anymore!"

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 27, 2023 11:47AM
Rolando
Challenger happened on my 16th Birthday. I asked my mom to let me skip school, she said yes. But. I woke up early anyway to watch the launch.

We both sat in stunned silence. I cried on her shoulder.

Thinking about this reminds me of 9/11. I was off that morning, was going to have breakfast with her. We saw the second plane hit. She cried on my shoulder.

After Columbia, I told my buddy about Challenger on my birthday.

"You're not allowed to have birthdays anymore!"

I hope you never skipped school again either!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 27, 2023 03:39PM
I've always been fascinated that all three disasters occurred within a single week on the calendar page.

It is what it is.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 28, 2023 04:07PM
Peggy Noonan wrote one hell of a speech.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020