advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anybody still using TiVo?
Posted by: JEB
Date: February 04, 2023 12:47PM
Spectrum cable just raised our rates again. I do enjoy having a DVR to skip commercials.
I’m thinking of buying a TiVo to replace the Spectrum DVR. Cost? Monthly fees? Recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

John
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anybody still using TiVo?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: February 04, 2023 02:12PM
I set my dad up with one, he definitely prefers it to Spectrum's crap hardware.

Unfortunately most of the cable monopolies are going to stop supporting CableCard soon, which will probably end Tivo as a cable TV option.

[www.techhive.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2023 02:13PM by Will Collier.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: February 04, 2023 02:24PM
Date: February 04, 2023 03:27PM
TheTominator

FREEDOM OF CHOICE IS WHAT WE NEED
Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 04, 2023 04:54PM
Yes my TiVo’s still work great.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: February 04, 2023 06:28PM
I have two TiVo Premier units and one TiVo Bolt.

The two Premier units are on Over-The-Air (OTA), the TiVo Bolt is using a Cable Card from Spectrum.
- Last year I had a failed cable card which was replaced, thought it was going to be a challenge but they "found" a replacement. They did tell me to expect sometime in future that the Cable Card would be going away.
- I am easily able to stream recorded programs from the Bolt to the Premiers that are in other rooms, so opted not to put cable cards on them.

Last year, my bundle for Internet, Cable TV, and Phone (which I never) use was approaching $210/mo. I called up Spectrum and found my way to Customer Retentions, told them I was on retirement budget and that I wanted to drop phone and go onto Spectrum Choice 15 in effort to save money. However, when I was talking to retentions, he said "How about this? I keep you on your current plan for $140/month including tax and fees." He said that would cover at least 12 months, where again I would have to do something similar. So, I said YES. So, far it has stayed ~140mo for almost a year now. Will call Retentions again when I see price start slipping upward.

My suggestion, call Customer Retentions and see what they can do for you...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2023 06:33PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: ADent
Date: February 04, 2023 11:26PM
Got em still. OTA at my house and cable ones at my Mom's.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 05, 2023 08:44AM
Will Collier

Unfortunately most of the cable monopolies are going to stop supporting CableCard soon, which will probably end Tivo as a cable TV option.

[www.techhive.com]

Spectrum is already distributing high-split converters (HSCs) to replace the old tuning adapters (TAs) that enable receiving SDV.

The HSCs allow the CableCards to keep working (remaps the frequencies) in those markets where Spectrum is increasing upload speeds.

My TIvo Roamio (base model, 4 digital cable or 4 OTA tuners) is still working fine with CableCard & TA...no upgrades to upload speeds here yet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2023 08:46AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: mspace
Date: February 05, 2023 09:44AM
Another thing to look at is Channels.

[getchannels.com]
Posted by: gadje
Date: February 05, 2023 10:33AM
mspace

[getchannels.com]

are you using this one? Thanks
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 05, 2023 10:34AM
Have you tried YoutubeTV? Free trial is available.
[tv.youtube.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: February 05, 2023 10:39AM
Bill in NC
Will Collier

[www.techhive.com]

Spectrum is already distributing high-split converters (HSCs) to replace the old tuning adapters (TAs) that enable receiving SDV.

The HSCs allow the CableCards to keep working (remaps the frequencies) in those markets where Spectrum is increasing upload speeds.

My TIvo Roamio (base model, 4 digital cable or 4 OTA tuners) is still working fine with CableCard & TA...no upgrades to upload speeds here yet.

That's good to know.

Dad lives out in the boonies, the cable company there has always been awful, from long before Spectrum took over. I'm not optimistic...
Posted by: mspace
Date: February 05, 2023 10:59AM
gadje
mspace

[getchannels.com]

Yes. I have it set up on a Raspberry Pi with dedicated hard drive
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 05, 2023 11:31AM
Hi everyone,

Back in the day I had a TIVO but switched to the DVR provided by Cablevision and never looked back. Once I switched to FIOS, I switched to their DVR service. In November 2021, I had a chance to check out TIVO's current offerings and its interface. The assessment I made in this post still stands:

<[forums.macresource.com];

TIVO just isn't worth it these days. It's still better than the interface and features of the FIOS DVR but not nearly enough better by far to make it worthwhile.

Robert
Posted by: gadje
Date: February 06, 2023 06:37AM
mspace
gadje
mspace

[getchannels.com]

Yes. I have it set up on a Raspberry Pi with dedicated hard drive

Thanks, I will look into it again. A few years ago it did not support several streaming services that I was using. Does it do 4k? what tuner do you use?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2023 06:38AM by gadje.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 156
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020