advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ProTools and Mojave to Monterey . . .
Posted by: mspace
Date: February 27, 2023 09:23AM
We are using ProTools lite on a MacBook Pro (Early 2015), OS Mojave. Old, I know . . .

Running into some intermittent processing issues. First thought is to upgrade the OS to the last possible version, which is Monterey, before considering the more expensive options (new computer).

Anything I should be careful of, other than the 32 bit apps (which I've checked out), and copious backups?

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ProTools and Mojave to Monterey . . .
Posted by: Bixby
Date: February 27, 2023 10:37AM
What is ProTools lite? You mean ProTools Intro? Or a different version? ALWAYS check the PT compatibility chart before doing any upgrades...
Date: February 27, 2023 10:46AM
Protools Artist. A lighter version of the program. We only started this past year, so using the most recent version.

Mojave is the earliest OS it will run on. We just squeaked by as is.

Thinking that upping the OS "might" help . . .?
Posted by: Bixby
Date: February 27, 2023 11:37AM
Probably wouldn't hurt. But you're saying processing issues - PT is throwing errors while mixing in real time, or something else? You have enough RAM and a fast hard drive?
Date: February 27, 2023 11:59AM
16g ram/512 SSD

We're not mixing. Right now recording rehearsal vocals to precorded tracks.

Intermittently, the error is re: increasing buffer size, which we have done. Can't do it too much as it creates latency and echo issues.

Also using sample sounds with the keyboard track. Sometimes we'll get "Auditing processing was not met", which seems to be trigged by the samples plugin.

I realize upgrading the OS wouldn't be a complete fix, but thought it might make things more efficient.
Posted by: kj
Date: February 27, 2023 12:11PM
Are you using an interface, or the built in sound? Sounds more like the driver is taking a dump, as that should be plenty powerful to do what you are doing (doesn't sound too intense). But being able to run low latency has more to do with the drivers than your hardware. Have you tried other programs? I bet even garageband would be less problematic, and pretty capable.
Date: February 27, 2023 12:16PM
Using sounds from UVI, which we need. The error is Protools complaining about the UVI Workstation. This is all software interface, no hardware.

UVI was freshly purchased, so everything is up to date, etc.
Date: February 27, 2023 12:53PM
I think UVI has a free version of workstation, so you could see if the AU version (rather than AAX?) works in garageband. If you bought sounds for it, you should be able to transfer those over.

I haven't used the built-in sound much, but I know I can't get as low latency as I can with my interfaces. But it's usually really solid.
Date: February 27, 2023 01:00PM
I looked around and there are lots of complaints about UVI pooping out because it is not multi-threaded (each instance can only use one processor).
But it's not unusual for different plugins to have problems with some DAWs, so it could just be less compatible than we would wish.
Date: February 27, 2023 01:58PM
kj
I looked around and there are lots of complaints about UVI pooping out because it is not multi-threaded (each instance can only use one processor).
But it's not unusual for different plugins to have problems with some DAWs, so it could just be less compatible than we would wish.

Thanks for looking!

We are only using one instance with two piano samples.

It works for the most part, which is why I was thinking we needed to upgrade, etc.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 27, 2023 05:27PM
Never upgrade the OS when you're experiencing software problems.

It just complicates things. You'll end up compounding those problems with those of the new OS.

Fix the problems you've got under the OS you've got. Then consider an OS upgrade.

...Poking thru the Avid forums, looks like for some people the only solution was to downgrade the app to one version back. But those posts were really ancient. Dunno if that's possible or helpful.

Posted by: August West
Date: February 27, 2023 05:33PM
Not a music guy, for synths, if it's even consider one, I used Emus for sampling back in the day, but didn't Avid/Pro Tools have a native synth/sampler that came with pro tools at one point that goes for like 5 bucks now? I don't know if that would solve your issue or not, but wanted to toss it out there.

ETA: It was Expand 2 I was remembering. Free Synth page

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2023 05:36PM by August West.
Date: February 27, 2023 05:53PM
Yes, thanks, Protools does have built in sounds.

We got UVI after listening to a ton of samples of different companies and decided they had they best overall sound for the project. It does make a difference for fine tuning the whole overall picture to work with what we're going to use in the mix.

August West
Not a music guy, for synths, if it's even consider one, I used Emus for sampling back in the day, but didn't Avid/Pro Tools have a native synth/sampler that came with pro tools at one point that goes for like 5 bucks now? I don't know if that would solve your issue or not, but wanted to toss it out there.

ETA: It was Expand 2 I was remembering. Free Synth page
Date: February 27, 2023 05:56PM
Thanks for another way of looking at it.

Tiangou
Never upgrade the OS when you're experiencing software problems.

It just complicates things. You'll end up compounding those problems with those of the new OS.

Fix the problems you've got under the OS you've got. Then consider an OS upgrade.

...Poking thru the Avid forums, looks like for some people the only solution was to downgrade the app to one version back. But those posts were really ancient. Dunno if that's possible or helpful.
Date: February 27, 2023 06:35PM
Wasn't really paying close attention before. Is this a commercial project? Just curious. Also, where did the prerecorded rehearsal tracks come from? Try to get a working system somewhere in the chain to bounce the rough mix to a stereo track and then use playback of that track on your laptop to record the singer.

ETA: Also, IIRC, when I was tracking PT was on the system disk, and all audio files were on an external disk. See if you can just bounce that stereo guide track yourself. Turn off all recording, all effects, cross your fingers on the sampler, and bounce. If the sampler can stand alone and generate an audio track, do that and mix the synth audio in with the rest.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2023 06:42PM by August West.
Date: February 27, 2023 07:07PM
August West
Wasn't really paying close attention before. Is this a commercial project? Just curious. Also, where did the prerecorded rehearsal tracks come from? Try to get a working system somewhere in the chain to bounce the rough mix to a stereo track and then use playback of that track on your laptop to record the singer.

ETA: Also, IIRC, when I was tracking PT was on the system disk, and all audio files were on an external disk. See if you can just bounce that stereo guide track yourself. Turn off all recording, all effects, cross your fingers on the sampler, and bounce. If the sampler can stand alone and generate an audio track, do that and mix the synth audio in with the rest.

Good suggestions, but doesn’t allow for the flexibility we are using.

The tracks are prerecorded of the band. We’re working vocals and keys in this round of rehearsals (at home), to be recorded in studio later. We are not always using all the instruments as we work, and altering keyboard midi as we go along. It’s just easier to do from Protools for full access.

This issue is intermittent. Just thought the OS might make a difference at the most inexpensive level.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 27, 2023 09:38PM
You're asking a lot of the MBP considering the age, proc and ram.
And then there's modern VI. SSDs don't last forever, nuther.
Without hardware, you're asking even more of your MBP.

Until Oct '21, I ran PT 10 on a 2013 MBA with 8G ram & HS, but always had an external I/O to carry some of that lifting.

Monty appears to be more stable from my convos with my fellow post prod ops.

As August points out, if you aren't on an external drive for your actual project, that's even more pressure on the beast.

Tax your rig a bit more and run Activity Monitor for more insight.
Disk First Aid? Onyx?

Save your work externally and perhaps try a re-install of Mojave, or a painful long nuke and pave.
It's good for the soul as long as there is Knappogue or the like in hand.
Just because Avid says Mojave is supported, doesn't mean it is.

Avid sells potatoes and will say anything to get you to buy.

!#$@@$#!

composed with both pinkie toes

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2023 11:57PM by Fritz.
Date: February 27, 2023 11:19PM

We’re working vocals and keys in this round of rehearsals (at home), to be recorded in studio later.

Ah, I see, I thought you were just tracking vocals. Wish I could be of more help, Best of luck though!

Date: February 27, 2023 11:52PM
Fritz
As August points out, if you aren't on an external drive for your actually project, that's even more pressure on the beast.

When you say external drive, do you mean just booting from it and/or running everything (Protools/project) from the external?
Date: February 27, 2023 11:53PM
Pro tools on the internal boot. Project on an Ext.

!#$@@$#!

Date: February 27, 2023 11:56PM
August West

We’re working vocals and keys in this round of rehearsals (at home), to be recorded in studio later.

Ah, I see, I thought you were just tracking vocals. Wish I could be of more help, Best of luck though!

Thanks! The process is everything. winking smiley
Date: February 27, 2023 11:58PM
Fritz
Pro tools on the internal boot. Project on an Ext.

Thanks! Will try it.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 28, 2023 07:43AM
You might have luck if you break the record process down into multiple steps. Try bouncing down all you background tracks with the VIs so you’re left with a stereo or even a mono track. Create a new session, import your bounced audio and record your vocal (s) to this session. After the vocals are recorded you have a choice of finishing in the new session if your bounce mix was what you want on the final or import the vocal track back into your original session to finish there.

JoeM
Date: February 28, 2023 07:47AM
JoeM
You might have luck if you break the record process down into multiple steps. Try bouncing down all you background tracks with the VIs so you’re left with a stereo or even a mono track. Create a new session, import your bounced audio and record your vocal (s) to this session. After the vocals are recorded you have a choice of finishing in the new session if your bounce mix was what you want on the final or import the vocal track back into your original session to finish there.

Thanks. That’s easy to follow. We’ll add it to the list.
Date: February 28, 2023 08:02AM
great suggestion Joe.

!#$@@$#!

Date: February 28, 2023 08:24AM
Fritz
great suggestion Joe.

thumbs up
Date: February 28, 2023 09:32AM
I use a lot of old gear with my PT setup and that can cause a lot of oddball issues at times. Sometimes it’s necessary to come up with work arounds that bypass the normal PT work flow or typical support solutions Avid provides since PT can be really temperamental, especially with MIDI and some plugins.

JoeM
Date: February 28, 2023 09:42AM
JoeM
I use a lot of old gear with my PT setup and that can cause a lot of oddball issues at times. Sometimes it’s necessary to come up with work arounds that bypass the normal PT work flow or typical support solutions Avid provides since PT can be really temperamental, especially with MIDI and some plugins.

So what's your take on upgrading the OS?
Date: February 28, 2023 10:40AM
mspace
JoeM

So what's your take on upgrading the OS?

I'm facing that dilemma myself right now. I'm still on Catalina with PT Ultimate 2022.12 and I really would like to update to Big Sur, maybe Monterey. But I'm in the middle of a project so like others advised you here, I'm waiting to finish.

I would try to work around your issues and finish your project. Look through the DUC for any posts that deal with the issues you're having and see if you can find a solution or a work around like I mentioned. If you can't complete your work, I'd do a complete backup of your MBP and project and then try an OS update. If that doesn't work out you can restore your previous OS and PT session data and all you'll be losing is the time required for the swapping. Another thing I do is to create a bootable external clone of my system, make sure it works and then do the upgrade to the Mac. Redundency is always worthwhile if you can manage to create a clone of the old system.

JoeM
Date: February 28, 2023 10:59AM
How many vocal tracks?
Date: February 28, 2023 11:43AM
kj
How many vocal tracks?

Two of us at the same time. Required.

JoeM
Look through the DUC
DUC?
Date: February 28, 2023 12:19PM
mspace
kj
How many vocal tracks?

JoeM
Look through the DUC
DUC?

DUC - dates back to Digidesign. I think it was short for Digidesign Users Conference or Community.

You’ll find it here:
[duc.avid.com]

JoeM
Date: February 28, 2023 12:25PM
JoeM
mspace
kj
How many vocal tracks?

JoeM
Look through the DUC
DUC?

DUC - dates back to Digidesign. I think it was short for Digidesign Users Conference or Community.

You’ll find it here:
[duc.avid.com]

Thanks!
Date: February 28, 2023 12:32PM
That really isn't asking much of a system. I think it could be your choice of software, unfortunately. There are a million hosts, I would try something else. On our digital mixer we get 24 tracks on a cf card, so any SSD shouldn't be a problem for a couple tracks. Numerous soft synths and effects, so two is nothing.
Date: February 28, 2023 12:55PM
mspace
JoeM
mspace
kj
How many vocal tracks?

JoeM
Look through the DUC
DUC?

You’ll find it here:
[duc.avid.com]

Thanks!

You’re very welcome! BTW, you can sign up and post your problem there. The folks on the forums there are very knowledgeable and are usually very helpful.

JoeM
Date: February 28, 2023 05:48PM
I just updated my mini to Monty and then PT 22.12 after I finished a project. So far no issues when I open old sessions to check.
Only Waves Sound Grid crashes, but I think that's for the Avid Live console which I am never on and/or networking sessions, also not in my lane.

!#$@@$#!

Date: February 28, 2023 07:08PM
Fritz
I just updated my mini to Monty and then PT 22.12 after I finished a project. So far no issues when I open old sessions to check.
Only Waves Sound Grid crashes, but I think that's for the Avid Live console which I am never on and/or networking sessions, also not in my lane.

That’s good to hear. It looks like Avid is finally getting a little catch-up done as far as operating systems go. I’m hoping they don’t break other stuff that was working fine along the way, which they seem to do periodically.

JoeM
Date: February 28, 2023 07:35PM
yes. I was a little nervous about buying the '18 mini and completely updating everything in Oct '21. But PT10 was so old as was my MBA, it was starting to be a drag.
Now I'm kind of itching for a M1 mini, even though the Intel is kicking butt.

!#$@@$#!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 173
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020