advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I'm glad I don't photograph weddings all the time
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 27, 2023 11:40AM
While I enjoy the challenge of taking a wedding photo job, I am glad I don't do them all the time. Nothing wrong with it if you like to photograph them all the time. It's just not something I believe I would enjoy if I had to work several weddings month.

Between the client, family, and guests being highly emotional, the grind of timetables and business dealings gets hectic.

I believe I am thinking about this with the recent Tolman Media photo/video collapse. [forums.macresource.com] Could you imagine being hired by one of their ripped off clients? I'd imagine they be super paranoid even if one has a good track record.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I'm glad I don't photograph weddings all the time
Posted by: decay
Date: March 27, 2023 11:41AM
I feel like the entire wedding industry is a giant rip-off

---
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 27, 2023 11:45AM
I personally don't understand how people do it. It takes a certain skillset, patients...and a willingness to operate under some pretty extreme expectation.

The worst part is NO MATTER WHAT, most people think the work is shooting. The photographer has to look at all that later and then form it into something. IMO thats the real work.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 27, 2023 11:51AM
decay
I feel like the entire wedding industry is a giant rip-off

This. Being a participant is no fun, either. When I was 19, I had to be a bridesmaid for a cousin I didn't even like much, for a marriage that lasted about 2 years. She thought it should be the most important thing in my life. After that, I said never again.

I can't imagine having to photograph these things.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Date: March 27, 2023 11:54AM
Some comments from someone reposting when Brenan Tolman posted a video where he basically says the whole business was possibly a Ponzi Scheme. He posted this and then removed it after the company went under.
[www.youtube.com]

Nicole
1 month ago
2023 bride here who booked with Tolman Media!. I received THE email from Tolman as well as one from my photographer who did our engagement shoot claiming he has not been getting paid. My wedding is in a few months and I already paid half of my total which I was told would not be returned back to me and now I need to search for another photographer last minute.

Dominique
OHHHHHH NOOOO my best friend is supposed to be using this company for her wedding on April 30th….this seems like a MAJOR ISSUE. Is there anyway she can contact the photographers/videographers personally? Asking on here in case anyone that was part of the company sees this and can help!

Katie Diaz
And how do you feel bout taking all our money and not providing the service that was listed on our contract???? 1250.00 should be sent back to use couples who paid for a service that will no longer be getting or now have things changed saying that our deposit is a booking fee of 1250.00 how could you ever think this is ok

Erica Cross
I paid a $925 deposit for your services with no refund!!! I am NOT happy. This is completely unacceptable

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 27, 2023 11:57AM
I've photographed a couple of weddings, fortunately for nice people.

My biggest takeaway is to roll with the punches, and be cheerful. That took care of 95% of the issues.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 27, 2023 12:15PM
I did 30+ years as a photographer, covering everything from preschool graduations (super cute) to major disasters (PTSD therapy after Hurricane Mitch), and in that time I shot one wedding. Afterward, all I could say was never again.

The personalities were just too much to deal with
A nervous bride
a groom who just wants it over to go on the honeymoon
brides mother - think drill sergeant
groom's mother - hates the bride for stealing her innocent baby
bride's father - shell-shocked from the cost
groom's father - wishes he was going on the honeymoon instead of his son
aunts on both sides - nuff' said
uncles on both sides - where's the open bar?
and some dweeb cousin trying to shoot over your shoulder so no one will buy reprints.

Nope, once was enough.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 27, 2023 12:24PM
Ombligo
I did 30+ years as a photographer, covering everything from preschool graduations (super cute) to major disasters (PTSD therapy after Hurricane Mitch), and in that time I shot one wedding. Afterward, all I could say was never again.

A nervous bride
and some dweeb cousin trying to shoot over your shoulder so no one will buy reprints.

Nope, once was enough.

You should have stuck around to shoot the divorce.
Date: March 27, 2023 12:41PM
vision63
Ombligo

A nervous bride

Nope, once was enough.

You should have stuck around to shoot the divorce.

Did you get the prints done before they filed?

Posted by: btfc
Date: March 27, 2023 12:45PM
Ombligo

A nervous bride

Nope, once was enough.

You forgot the Wedding Planner, following you around and trying to tell you what, when, and where to shoot.

I shot several for $, but that got old.

Then I would shoot friends’ wedding at cost as a favor to the couple.

Then I decided I’d rather just enjoy the wedding.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 27, 2023 01:03PM
I know a young woman who loves photography and had a great eye for composition.

She decided to be a wedding photographer and did some incredible work to build her business.

She created a great website but does no other advertising related to wedding photography, and has a full calendar during 'wedding season'.

In the off season, she photographs people's pets for free at animal shelter events, then sells prints to them.

I've known her since she was a toddler, a sweet, smart, funny kid.

However, her husband (who is also her pack mule and second photographer) says she takes total control of the shoot.

Not every customer is a great one, but she gets all her customers by word of mouth.

And she has some great stories to tell.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 27, 2023 01:13PM
I have had wedding where I overruled the wedding planner and over emotional parents. It isn't fun doing this but the images are the pay off.

The silliest one is where a wedding planner told me I was eating too much food in front of the clients that were encouraging me to eat more. I later saw the wedding planner outside licking her armpit. I wish I were making this up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2023 01:14PM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: March 27, 2023 01:19PM
pRICE cUBE
I have had wedding where I overruled the wedding planner and over emotional parents. It isn't fun doing this but the images are the pay off.

The silliest one is where a wedding planner told me I was eating too much food in front of the clients that were encouraging me to eat more. I later saw the wedding planner outside licking her armpit. I wish I were making this up.

smiley-shocked003

Wow!
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: March 27, 2023 01:26PM
pRICE cUBE

Did you get any photos?
Posted by: jonny
Date: March 27, 2023 01:47PM
What's the point anymore. Everyone's got a camera in their pocket and 9 times out of 10 the candids are better than the pro's anyhow.
Date: March 27, 2023 02:55PM
MindMeld
pRICE cUBE

Did you get any photos?

She stopped before I could raise my camera. We didn’t speak the rest of the event.

Posted by: archipirata
Date: March 27, 2023 03:09PM
I get you. I did a few. Even with a good wedding planner to work with it's hard. Without one, it's too much like herding cats. You are expected to produce perfect results while having little to no control over the situation. I'm too old for that kind of stress. I'm perfectly happy in the studio.

Athens, OH
Posted by: Don C
Date: March 27, 2023 03:16PM
Shot candid shots at the wedding of a buddy. I never claimed to be a photographer, but they like the shots I'd taken. Except in the two or three roles of film, I completely omitted the best man! Other guests did include him so everything was ultimately fine on that front.

I had the film developed at, oh, probably the drug store down the street and I was not happy with the product. My buddy was OK with them, but used the negatives to have more prints made and when he got those back he agreed that my prints were pretty bad.
Date: March 27, 2023 03:30PM
I typically let the couple know that photo rules the day because no one will remember the wedding planner. Well, except pit licker.

Date: March 27, 2023 03:32PM
Don C
Shot candid shots at the wedding of a buddy. I never claimed to be a photographer, but they like the shots I'd taken. Except in the two or three roles of film, I completely omitted the best man! Other guests did include him so everything was ultimately fine on that front.

I had the film developed at, oh, probably the drug store down the street and I was not happy with the product. My buddy was OK with them, but used the negatives to have more prints made and when he got those back he agreed that my prints were pretty bad.

People are happy with photos that they think they look good in.
Posted by: chopper
Date: March 27, 2023 03:43PM
Like I said, my buddy did it for more than ten years. After 2017 he said something changed in people and he wanted no more.

He sold all his glass and bodies for $2500--a steal.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 27, 2023 03:45PM
pRICE cUBE
I wish I were making this up.

Photography is always such a good source of stories!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 27, 2023 04:34PM
pRICE cUBE
MindMeld
pRICE cUBE

Did you get any photos?

She stopped before I could raise my camera. We didn’t speak the rest of the event.

Oh my. I never even considered that could be a thing.
Posted by: DP
Date: March 27, 2023 05:25PM
Back when I was in school, I shot weddings to help pay for (art) school. I had two part time jobs too although I wasn't shooting weddings all the time. But I decided after that experience that was never going to make a career shooting weddings. The people were just a big PITA and I just couldn't do it. It would have been a great career if I didn't have deal with any people...

I did make enough tho to buy a used and a beat up Hassy CM and I did get some pretty nice compliments from the results.

The last wedding I went to as a guest, about ten years ago, I watched the photog and he shot video as well as stills and he had three assistants, two who shot stills and one who assisted the photog when he was shooting video. That was the wedding!

Then, the two video cams and a small backdrop set up in the hallway outside the reception hall for individual stills.

I was trying to tally up what I would've had to charge for all of this: All the shots and video for pre-wedding, the wedding itself, and the reception. Individual pix of guests, Paying three assistants. Amortization of equipment. Time involved in processing stills and video. And, paying myself. What did I forget?

I figured $10-maybe $15,000! And hopefully all went well!

God bless successful wedding photogs!

Back to music.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 27, 2023 07:10PM
At a nephew's wedding last summer I was amazed to see a photog (one of several) operating a drone for various overhead shots.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 27, 2023 09:36PM
Our wedding photographer was great. We found a guy in Kissimmee (near Disney World) who basically catered to British tourists. Why is that important? Because he included the negatives in the price. Most of his clientele didn’t want to order prints from overseas, so he charged a little more and included negatives so they could get someone else to make copies.

He did a great job. We took the negatives and had two sets of parents’ albums made. We also had one photo blown up to be framed.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 27, 2023 09:45PM
My wedding was so long ago it was done in rotogravure - so no dups came into play.
Date: March 28, 2023 01:31AM
RgrF
My wedding was so long ago it was done in rotogravure - so no dups came into play.

RgrF the Groom-zilla.
Posted by: d4
Date: March 28, 2023 10:41AM
My wife and I have been married for 15 years. I researched and chose a wedding photographer with a "photo journalistic" style. Candid moments of us and our guests at the outdoor ceremony, and evening reception. It was a beautiful day.

After the ceremony, the guests were leaving and heading over to the reception. I had to find the photographer to ask and insist for him take some formal portraits of my wife and I with our immediate families. Isn't formal photos normal?? He declined and told his assistant to take the photos. WTF?! He made it seem like it was beneath him. 15 years later and I still remember his attitude.

We did not purchase a printed album or prints from him. Just the files. I wanted to make the album myself mixed in with photos from our guests and the morning (which the photographer was not present for). He sends us a CD with over a thousand photos of the ceremony and reception. Completely unedited. Just a raw file dump.

I used Apple iPhotos (back in the day) when Apple was still printing photo albums. 3/4 of the photos in my album were from guests. A posed formal wedding photo the assistant took is the only photo from our wedding hanging in my in-laws' house. My mom also has our formal wedding photo taken by the assistant framed as well.

So much of the wedding industry is a colossal waste of money.

Date: March 28, 2023 11:25PM
d4
My wife and I have been married for 15 years. I researched and chose a wedding photographer with a "photo journalistic" style. Candid moments of us and our guests at the outdoor ceremony, and evening reception. It was a beautiful day.

After the ceremony, the guests were leaving and heading over to the reception. I had to find the photographer to ask and insist for him take some formal portraits of my wife and I with our immediate families. Isn't formal photos normal?? He declined and told his assistant to take the photos. WTF?! He made it seem like it was beneath him. 15 years later and I still remember his attitude.

We did not purchase a printed album or prints from him. Just the files. I wanted to make the album myself mixed in with photos from our guests and the morning (which the photographer was not present for). He sends us a CD with over a thousand photos of the ceremony and reception. Completely unedited. Just a raw file dump.

I used Apple iPhotos (back in the day) when Apple was still printing photo albums. 3/4 of the photos in my album were from guests. A posed formal wedding photo the assistant took is the only photo from our wedding hanging in my in-laws' house. My mom also has our formal wedding photo taken by the assistant framed as well.

So much of the wedding industry is a colossal waste of money.

One time my girlfriend had a job photographing a High School Continuation graduation. She would photograph them and sell them their pics right there. She asked me to help her and I said cool. I made every graduate take a picture whether they planned to buy a picture or not. I also made them all give me their email and phone numbers.

She made a lot of bucks on site and the gig was eventually over. I helped her put the pics on Smugmug in case they still wanted to buy the pics.

After about a month, I'm looking at cool graduation photos of these grads (In Aperture!). They came back to school to finish. I was proud of them. What good were their photos doing me?

This was something like 2005. No smart phones. I called every one of those graduates and mailed them their photos. These kids were by and large poor. When I went to Costco to pick up the prints, I opened it up and was checking them out.

I was chatting with one of the managers (In Fresno) and telling him about the event. I mentioned it was going to cost me a mint to mail the pics and he pulled money out of his own walled and paid for the photos. Too cool.

The pictures made those kids so happy. It felt so good to please them. To let them know that they were special.

I wish I could talk to that photographer that didn't understand that your wedding day was your special day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 142
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020