advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
which iPad for Mother's Day? and how to sort Apple ID mixups?
Posted by: gadje
Date: April 09, 2023 10:14AM
Wife wants an iPad since some of her games won't run on the old iPad.

First iPad is from 2012, 4th generation, still works "fine", under my Apple ID, but this is the one she complains her games won't work anymore. iOS 10.3 I think. No more updates.

We have another iPad, 6th generation, under her Apple ID. iOS 16.3.1, her game works here, but the problem is the kids use it also so she rarely gets to use it.

So now I need to buy a 3rd iPad. I am thinking about iPad Air for the simple reason that it has the M1 chip and will probably be supported a little longer than those A13/14/15 models Apple still sells. It also has the USB-C power connector, that's the future, right? Unless I change my mind and buy the cheapest A13 model, LOL.

I am not sure how to set up the new iPad to make sure it is only her iPad and she gets to transfer her game and all that progress. Should I restore from the oldest iPad, and then log out from my Apple ID and log in with her Apple ID? would that copy her progress?

or restore from the second iPad which is already under her App;le ID? after her game is copied over, log her out and log in one of the kids?

I really need to straighten this out so messages go to the right person. now if the kid is using her iPad and I send a message, it shows as read, but I have no idea who read it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: which iPad for Mother's Day? and how to sort Apple ID mixups?
Posted by: gabester
Date: April 09, 2023 12:29PM
gadje
I am not sure how to set up the new iPad to make sure it is only her iPad and she gets to transfer her game and all that progress.

There's a migration mode; you'd use the camera from the old iPad to scan the fancy animation on the new iPad at the appropriate time then leave them physically close together so they can sync over all that data. Maybe plugged in if you've got enough stuff... Automagic!

Otherwise the full local backup/restore is likely the way to go (and not a bad idea for archival sake...) but I've personally had issues with this working; mind you I was trying to get all the stuff including pictures from an iPhone to a newer iPad. For whatever reason it wouldn't bring over the pictures that way?

g=
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 09, 2023 02:14PM
I think the M1 iPad Air is the best bang/buck in the iPad lineup.
Posted by: gadje
Date: April 09, 2023 04:27PM
sekker
I think the M1 iPad Air is the best bang/buck in the iPad lineup.

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020