advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The Midnight Special Pilot - August 19, 1972 (chock full o stars)
Posted by: hal
Date: April 17, 2023 02:21PM
[www.youtube.com] Just posted last month

I LOVED this show when I was a kid. It was almost the only way to see the bands that I loved playing LIVE - no lip syncing.

Here's the description:

Hosted by John Denver, with special guest appearance by Argent, Harry Chapin, David Clayton Thomas, Cass Elliot, The Everly Brothers, The Isley Brothers, Helen Reddy, Linda Ronstadt, and War.

John Denver - "(Take Me Home) Country Roads" & "Goodbye Again"
John Denver and 'Mama' Cass Elliott - "Leaving on a Jet Plane" duet
Argent - "Hold Your Head Up" & "Tragedy"
Harry Chapin - "Taxi"
David Clayton-Thomas (singer from Blood, Sweat & Tears) - "Yesterday's Music" & "Nobody Calls Me Prophet"
The Everly Brothers - "All I Have to Do Is Dream" & "Stories We Could Tell"
The Isley Brothers - "Pop That Thang"
Helen Reddy - "I Don't Know How to Love Him"
Linda Ronstadt - "Long Long Time" & "The Fast One"
War - "Slippin' into Darkness"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2023 02:28PM by hal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Midnight Special Pilot - August 19, 1972 (chock full o stars)
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 17, 2023 03:39PM
Pluto TV Channel Vevo70s is mostly Midnight Special, as far as I can tell....
[pluto.tv]

I have a vague memory of Wolfman Jack hosting one, and introducing the strange sounds of.... and I don not remember who.

I also remember seeing the promo for Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody on Midnight Special... I think. I was about 7.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 17, 2023 04:31PM
What's the point of the forced widescreen matting? Does showing fullscreen content in it's original aspect ratio break something? I rarely watch on a 16:9 device (16:10, 5:3, currently on a 3:4!)

Show me all the pixels and no cursing smiley black bars!
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 17, 2023 05:01PM
Nice! I had just turned 6. smiling smiley

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 17, 2023 06:40PM
No way was Dad letting that on the TV, and he controlled the remote (otherwise known as me)

There are some truly wonderful voices in that show that were taken from us much too soon. Thanks for posting

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2023 07:14PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: chopper
Date: April 17, 2023 08:09PM
Very cool
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 17, 2023 08:26PM
Lew Zealand
What's the point of the forced widescreen matting? Does showing fullscreen content in it's original aspect ratio break something? I rarely watch on a 16:9 device (16:10, 5:3, currently on a 3:4!)

Only if you want to watch in glorious 480i and Mono Sound!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 18, 2023 08:51AM
Linda's Long Long Time was great! As was Harry Chapin's Taxi. Aw hell, everything was good. Thanks.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 18, 2023 09:51AM
lot of great talent.
But Linda knocks everyone else out of the park with Long Long TIme.
Her phrasing is something special.
I'd guess Argent were prevented from playing live by the musicians union. Oh well.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Date: April 18, 2023 11:38AM
Rolando
Lew Zealand

Only if you want to watch in glorious 480i and Mono Sound!

I am completely happy with 480p/60 or 576p/50 (bob/double deinterlace) and Mono sound when the alternative is no performance at all. I have loads of SD content that I love to watch.

I just want the option of all those glorious 480 or 576 vertical pixels to reach to the edge of my screen instead of being double matted, an unnecessarily small glowing window swimming in a sea of black all around.
Date: April 18, 2023 11:41AM
Here is an excellent example of no matting, No Love is Sorrow by Pentangle, 1972:

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: decay
Date: April 19, 2023 09:24AM
Zoidberg
Nice! I had just turned 6. smiling smiley

the following day after this show was my 7th birthday

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020