advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone doing No Mow May?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 10, 2023 07:57PM
I was curious if anyone here is doing No Mow May - forgoing mowing your lawn for the month in an effort to give critters - pollinators in particular - time to establish themselves after waking from the winter.

There's plenty of debate on the topic without clear conclusions - is it actually good for the lawn? Is it actually good for the pollinators?

My lawn is mostly long and lush but if I go without mowing for another 3 weeks its going to get VERY LONG. Which is....fine I guess? Its held that you shouldn't cut more than a 1/3 of the grass at a time but that quickly becomes impossible as its height exceeds 3x the height of the mower blade.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone doing No Mow May?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 10, 2023 08:05PM
Yes...of course our grass has been snow free for about 4 days so its not long yet.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 10, 2023 08:12PM
The grass would be two feet tall by June. I do mow it at maximum height, helps shade out the weeds.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: May 10, 2023 08:14PM
With all the rain we've had I have been cutting my grass every 3 days since early April. If I went the entire month of May without mowing, my grass would be over 2 feet tall and impossible to cut with my Ego mower.
Posted by: rz
Date: May 10, 2023 08:26PM
Yeah, I'd be getting nasty notes from my neighbors if I didn't mow the whole month of May. I had to mow back in March before I left for Japan for a few weeks. It was already getting high. I think I mowed twice in April. Haven't mowed yet this month, but I probably need to this weekend.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 10, 2023 08:55PM
.....Mow 'money.....Mow problems.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Black
Date: May 10, 2023 09:20PM
I have to reboot part of my lawn every spring due to the allelopathic tree covering my yard, so I let it go pretty far before first mow to give the roots a chance. I have a few little "wild" areas of the yard that cause migrants to stick around a few days longer than they might, but otherwise I don't see the benefit of tall grass. Planning first mow tomorrow.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 10, 2023 09:32PM
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: May 10, 2023 09:38PM
Not doing it intentionally, but a dead John Deere battery, and then life getting in the way has me wondering when I will have time to mow.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 10, 2023 10:02PM
[www.facebook.com]
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 10, 2023 10:45PM
Pollinators can have the trees. Living in the desert southwest, lawns are a serious waste of water. However, this winter's rain raised a serious crop of invasive plants that must be tackled almost weekly. In the wilder areas, we expect they will provide an epic fuel source for wildfires by late summer. hot smiley
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 10, 2023 10:49PM
I'm kind of coming to the conclusion that No Mow May is kind of bs. The strongest argument for it is that it might encourage people to leave parts of their yards wild. I support that and I'm interested in doing it but its not the point I'm at now. At very least, there's no clear cut benefit. There aren't really clear cut downsides either. I just assume resuming normal lawn maintenance.

The skeptic in me has won out.

Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: May 11, 2023 02:08AM
We are not fanatics about our grass area so no chemicals just occasional cutting. This means we have lots of daisies that my wife and grandchildren love plus other wild flowers that certainly attract the insects. Our climate here allows a No Mow May not to result in 2' grass and we happily have done it for many years. When we had a larger garden and grass area we would leave parts unmown for a Spring wild flower meadow and a Summer wild flower meadow. The trick to it not just looking abandoned is selective mowing of paths through and around which then shows that it is meant.

This year we are doing No Mow May on our small area of grass but will also be continuing with No Mow June and July in about a third. We will mow paths round and through.

Paul
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 11, 2023 02:48AM
I am kind of doing no-mow May, partly because I want to give the bees some food and partly because I hate mowing and because I'm lazy.

My grass is getting long but not ridiculous yet. I'm going to mow soon because I noticed the dandelions have now gone to seed (and I don't want the grass to get too long).
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 11, 2023 05:28AM
I am

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 11, 2023 07:15AM
Sort of.
I have a permanent no-mow strip along the fence, and I leave the rest of the grass fairly tall when I do mow. There are also lots of pollinator friendly non-grass areas all around the yard.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 11, 2023 09:06AM
Nope.

My crabgrass gets mowed weekly.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 11, 2023 09:58AM
Sure they've only mowed about 40 acres of hay so far this season LOL! 16 acres to be baled tomorrow. The yard has been mowed about 4 times or it would be 3 feet high.

Grateful11
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 11, 2023 10:53AM
despite the rain, the small lawn gets so little sun I might mow 3x a season.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 11, 2023 11:24AM
I'm probably good for a no-mow summer.

Also, I'm a Curly fan, mostly.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 11, 2023 11:33AM
Shemp!

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: Spock
Date: May 11, 2023 12:21PM
I did No Mow February so I'm good.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 11, 2023 12:39PM
May is a tough month to skip because it grows faster that month than any other, making for a lot of work to catch up.

We do not treat, it's survival of the fittest. The dandelions, violets and white clover get pretty good seasons between mowings.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 11, 2023 01:28PM
Every year!

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: jonny
Date: May 11, 2023 02:55PM
California native, drought tolerant grass. No mowing required!
Posted by: chopper
Date: May 11, 2023 03:26PM
I am thus far but I do start my RZ500 every day and let it run to operating temp.

Also I am doing the thus-far-too-lazy-to-mow May.
Posted by: kj
Date: May 11, 2023 04:39PM
I have a history of doing barely mow May, June, July, and August, so I can't get away with missing a week now days.
Date: May 11, 2023 05:07PM
Aaaaaannnnnnd just today the municipality planted a big stick at the edge of my yard with a code violation warning stapled to it for grass being too long.

I guess they're not doing No Mow May.

mad2 smiley
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 11, 2023 08:19PM
Very small front yard doesn't need a lawn mower.

A weed whacker is all I need to get the job done.
Posted by: gabester
Date: May 11, 2023 11:42PM
I would think a well maintained lawn undergoing no mow may would not benefit pollinators... In other words if all you had was grass, and not ivy or clover or various weeds mixed in, there's nothing for the pollinators to do there (except I've noticed moths seem to love the long grass and witnessed them fleeing from the aftermath of the mower, at least the ones that weren't maimed by the mower blade or crushed by the wheels...) Do pollinators even hit up dandelions?

g=
Date: May 12, 2023 12:00AM
gabester
Do pollinators even hit up dandelions?

Yes. At least according to something I saw that was talking about dandelions being bees' first food in the spring. Dandelions certainly bloom before most other flowers.
Date: May 12, 2023 12:07AM
AllGold
Aaaaaannnnnnd just today the municipality planted a big stick at the edge of my yard with a code violation warning stapled to it for grass being too long.

mad2 smiley

Well, maybe they are observing No Mow May, but only selectively. It turns out a few blocks away there's an area of grass I believe is maintained by the municipality (a median) and it's longer than mine. They don't appear to have given themselves a warning.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 12, 2023 09:38AM
AllGold
AllGold

mad2 smiley

Well, maybe they are observing No Mow May, but only selectively. It turns out a few blocks away there's an area of grass I believe is maintained by the municipality (a median) and it's longer than mine. They don't appear to have given themselves a warning.

It's only a problem when someone else can be made to fix it!

Or maybe there are different rules for medians versus yards?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 12, 2023 10:02AM
Did your neighbors rat you out?

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: kj
Date: May 12, 2023 12:55PM
AllGold
gabester
Do pollinators even hit up dandelions?

Yes. At least according to something I saw that was talking about dandelions being bees' first food in the spring. Dandelions certainly bloom before most other flowers.

I saw bees doing their things on a few of the dandelions when I mowed the yard yesterday. And they also like the clover we have here and there. I try to let them do their things.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020