advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Upgrade to Monterey or other?
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: May 16, 2023 04:28PM
I have been using Mojave 10.14.6 in a MacBook Air early 2015, and I get the usual reminders from Apple to upgrade. I realize that this is a perennial topic here, and I'm wondering what the current view is regarding doing the upgrade: In brief, Never, Maybe, For Sure?

And if I recall, there were or continue to be some downsides to doing the upgrade, in terms of losing functionality of various programs. Does Apple offer a list of such problems?

Finally, are there any security issues either with doing the upgrade or with staying in an older OS that is no longer fully serviced by Apple?

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Upgrade to Monterey or other?
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: May 16, 2023 04:44PM
An Early 2015 MacBook Air will only go up to Monterey, so that's a good stopping point. smiling smiley

Catalina and higher (including Monterey) won't run 32-bit apps. Any obsolete apps worth keeping will need to be replaced with 64-bit versions. In some cases, the update might be free. In others, you may need to purchase new licenses.

Check for 32-bit apps:
[www.macworld.com]

Of course there are security issues when you run an old and unsupported OS. Only Ventura, Monterey, and Big Sur are presently receiving security updates. This fall, Big Sur will stop receiving updates. Monterey will stop receiving updates in late 2024.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 16, 2023 04:54PM
I went from High Sierra to Monterey. I would not have done it except I had one program that I needed to update. I haven't heard anything positive about recent OS releases.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 16, 2023 05:16PM
Monty has been very stable.
I've had minor but annoying issues with a clients 2 M1 minis on Venty.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 16, 2023 05:33PM
CA Bob,

Will add to what Tiangou said. 32-bit apps won't run on Catalina or newer. Some apps have 64-bit updates. Some do not have updates but do have viable alternatives. Unfortunately, some have not been update, will not be updated and do not have viable replacements.

Intel Macs running Catalina or newer have an option for running 32-bit apps. Purchase Parallels, create a virtual machine with Mojave or older and install just those 32-bit apps on it. I've done this for a couple of apps including Adobe CS 5.5. I can't justify the expense of newer flavors of the adobe apps and I haven't recreated the docs in the Affinity app suite. So, I'm running Indesign and Illustrator in the virtual machine for now.

I literally virtualized a fully-operational version of a machine so I could run it in Parallels. Not just a basic installation with a handful of apps. We're talking a full-scale machine that I use to run my business with all of its apps and data. I created the virtual machine, created a virtual drive and used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone a backup of the machine to it. Selected the clone as the boot drive, rebooted the virtual machine and went back to work.

Note, once I confirmed the fully-operational full-scale machine worked, I immediately paired it down to just the basics 32-bit apps I had to run virtually.

This is a doable option until you move to an Apple Silicon machine. From what I understand, you cannot run Mojave or older in a Parallels virtual machine on Apple Silicon.

Robert
Date: May 16, 2023 06:09PM
Thanks very much to all of you. Really appreciate your help. I checked on whether I have 32 bit applications, and found one or two which seem to be of little consequence and my old copy of Final Cut Express, which has never worked on this machine anyway. On the other hand, the serious filmmakers I talk to around here seem to be using other editing software, so apparently the Final Cut revolution has so far fallen a bit short.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 16, 2023 06:13PM
I sort of did what Robert is suggesting. Instead of a virtual machine I just bought an old mini to run headless. They are super cheap at this point. My lineup is:
Mini 2009 El Capitan
Mini 2014 High Sierra
Mini 2020 Monterey

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 16, 2023 06:54PM
Monterey is the newest OS that seems to have few downsides.
Posted by: chopper
Date: May 17, 2023 12:16PM
Tick ... tick ... tick ... tick .... tick

For Clay to chime in about his never thinking about the OS. Ha!
Date: May 18, 2023 11:26PM
I did put on Monterey and it seems to work OK, as this post shows. There were a few tense moments when it first started to boot, because it took a lot longer than the old system. But it seems to have perked up. There are a few minor cosmetic changes in the way things are displayed, but so far there is no obvious downside. Once again, thanks to everyone. This is kind of what this forum was all about back in 2001 and thereabouts, when there was a lot of debate about moving up to (I think) OS 8 going from OS 7. I recall that they used to charge for the upgrades, particularly when OS 10 came out and revolutionized everything.
Posted by: clay
Date: May 19, 2023 08:13AM
chopper
Tick ... tick ... tick ... tick .... tick

For Clay to chime in about his never thinking about the OS. Ha!

You summoned me? :-) Hey, since jdc isn't frequenting the board anymore, someone had to fill that role.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 200
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020