Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cat folks: any way to train a stray?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 20, 2023 10:36AM
Hi everyone,

I have another stray who has been consistently hanging out on my porch (we have a lot of strays around here, especially after Hurricanes Ida, Zeta, Gustav, Katrina, etc., etc.) ... this appears to be a young female, who is quite friendly... consistently runs up to me, seems to answer when called, rubs up against my legs, enjoys a thorough petting, seems to want to be played with, etc.

I've thought about trying to get her adopted out, but the local TNR organization here tells me that if a cat can't be picked up, there's no way it'll be adopted out... all the shelters are full, and it's also kitten season. She's ear-tipped, so must have been TNR'd at some point. I've tried picking her up, but she is NOT at all amenable to this... didn't bite or scratch me though.

I hate to see friendly cats on the streets around here... the last one who was friendly like this, I ended up finding him dead in the alleyway between my and my neighbor's house. It was probably last summer's heatwave that did him in. (I consistently fed him, but he seemed to have no interest in water when I provided it to him.) Life on the streets for cats here is not a good life.

So... ideally I would get her to the point of allowing herself to be picked up so she can be adopted out. Any ideas? (And NO, I cannot adopt her out myself, I already have too many mouths to feed, and not enough time to properly devote to a cat...)

TiA

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2023 10:37AM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat folks: any way to train a stray?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 20, 2023 10:42AM
Honestly, I think your best bet is to get a cat trap from a local cat society that will spay the cat and return her to you.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: May 20, 2023 10:59AM
Rolando
Honestly, I think your best bet is to get a cat trap from a local cat society that will spay the cat and return her to you.

She's already been TNR'd... see above

Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 20, 2023 11:18AM
Owen is an adoptee, as are all the furries we've had. We've had him for 10 years or so. He still will not put up with being handled for more than 30 secs, and only by me.
No idea if he was a stray, or a dump or a feral or what.

The local adopt-a-cat places, we have 3 close by, don't have a pick up rule. They take in the unadoptable and hope for the best.
We are suckers for that lot.
Fortunately, unlike a town dog pound, they are well funded. If one doesn't get adopted, they live their life there.

Owen came home to being one of 2 instead of one of 40, and mellowed with time. We can now get him to the vet without 20 minutes of screaming after a week of tricking him into the carrier.

If the cat will lay on your lap, or sleep on top of you, that is a good start.
Few strays can be trained without lots of time.
All those before Owen took a month or more of constant playing and attention.

Best of luck.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 20, 2023 11:35AM
She sounds like she’s ready for life with humans, it’s only the very long line in front of her that’s preventing her from being adopted.

If you yourself can’t bring her into your home, then you can at least provide her with a box and a blanket to sleep in outside. And semi regular feedings.

Posted by: wave rider
Date: May 20, 2023 11:54AM
Repetition. Pick her up to knee height for just a second and gently return her to the ground with copious petting and stroking afterwards. Repeat later.

You do talk to her and tell her how lovely she is, yes? Maybe get a brush for her too. Few cats can resist a gentle brushing…

I agree with mattkime, she sounds ready for human staff.

=wr=
Posted by: DP
Date: May 20, 2023 12:15PM
She sounds like she had a home. Can you at least check to see if she's chipped? Or is that what TNR means?

Something different.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 20, 2023 01:03PM
You could try Craigslist?
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 20, 2023 01:45PM
I tamed Fuzzy. No cat was more stray than she was (rip).

In the beginning your relationship isn't picking her up. It's being near each other. It's being a consistent resource. After a while it's about her letting you touch her. Eventually, when I know she knows me, I'll put my gloves on and pick her ass up and hold her for a bit. She'll skitter off but cats forget almost right away.

Cats always measure safety. Once they trust you, then you can just go ahead and keep her indoors if you want.

I always wished her ear wasn't tipped.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 20, 2023 01:54PM
Fuzzy

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Date: May 20, 2023 02:15PM
1) I haven't been able to pick her up -- at all. The few times I've tried, even just trying to put a hand under her belly, she's made it clear in no uncertain terms that she doesn't want to be held. RollingEyesSmiley5

2) She is, however, seemingly totally comfortable around me. I suspect it has something to do with my being a reliable food source... emoticon-animal-004

3) She has shown signs of wanting to come in, but I'm not thrilled about that idea... since I can't have her as a pet. She is also quite vocal and makes lots of different vocalizations.

4) I presume she was checked for a chip when she was TNR'd... that's SOP for TNR. (For those who don't know about TNR, here is the local organization who I've been in contact with ... great people: [www.trapdatcat.org])

5) I also forgot to mention that there are several other cats in the neighborhood, including one big black male who is NOT at all friendly and who chases all the other cats away... I've thusly nicknamed him "El Jerko". El Jerko will cry because the young female is getting fed, but he won't get any food because she knows that he will not approach me.

6) I can provide a pic or two, if anyone is curious about what these kitties look like.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 20, 2023 03:53PM
"El Jerko"? You’re right next to the longest river in the country…

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2023 03:56PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Janit
Date: May 21, 2023 08:48AM
This pick-up issue sounds like a realistic prediction by the TNR rather than an actual policy.

People who come to a shelter looking for a pet often want the "perfect" cat and will likely prefer one that they can pick up if there is a choice. Never mind that the needy cat they adopt as a kitten may grow up to develop fierce and idiosyncratic boundaries.

Hence it seems like your supplicant will be happier where she is right now rather than living indefinitely in a shelter. Even if she eventually lets you pick her up, she may not let anyone else do it. I am acquainted with quite a few cats, adopted as kittens, who nevertheless would allow only one person to pick them up.

The challenge is finding someone who would be happy to take a cat with this kind of personality. For now, if you have a porch or yard, you might try providing her with a padded sheltered space where she can hang out and be fed.
Date: May 21, 2023 01:23PM
Janit
This pick-up issue sounds like a realistic prediction by the TNR rather than an actual policy.

People who come to a shelter looking for a pet often want the "perfect" cat and will likely prefer one that they can pick up if there is a choice. Never mind that the needy cat they adopt as a kitten may grow up to develop fierce and idiosyncratic boundaries.

Hence it seems like your supplicant will be happier where she is right now rather than living indefinitely in a shelter. Even if she eventually lets you pick her up, she may not let anyone else do it. I am acquainted with quite a few cats, adopted as kittens, who nevertheless would allow only one person to pick them up.

The challenge is finding someone who would be happy to take a cat with this kind of personality. For now, if you have a porch or yard, you might try providing her with a padded sheltered space where she can hang out and be fed.

Yes, it's a realistic prediction rather than an actual policy.

She already routinely hangs out on my porch, along with El Jerko, but I hesitate to leave anything of value out on the porch. I've already had two bowls (NOT worth much of anything!) stolen off my porch... that's the kind of neighborhood I'm in.

Posted by: btfc
Date: May 21, 2023 01:58PM
[www.cbc.ca]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 214
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020