advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Running out of application memory?
Posted by: DP
Date: May 30, 2023 07:22AM
Fired up my M1 Pro MBP running 12.6 and had a force quit window open saying I was out of application memory and needed to quit some apps I had open. Never seen this before.

The four apps were Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Safari, and Preview. I closed PS and a minute later the window opened again showing the other three. I ended up force quitting all of them to get the window to stop opening.

What's up with that?

Something different.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2023 07:22AM by DP.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Running out of application memory?
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 30, 2023 08:33AM
If it only happened this one time, rebooting at least once might prevent it happening again.

If it happens again, use Disk Utility to run First Aid on all volumes of the internal drive. FA on the Data volume will run very slowly. What you are looking for is a failure to repair a problem. I hope you don't find one, but if you do, backup everything to an external drive. Then boot into Recovery, Erase the internal drive, and reinstall the OS from Recovery. Then use Migration Assistant to bring your stuff back from the backup.

I had to do that when First Aid found an unrepairable glitch in my internal drive (M1 mini). It worked, and cured a couple of other small nuisances.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 30, 2023 09:52AM
We have that come up occationally on some of our users machines. Usually they are either out of disk space or Chrome is eating up all their memory because they have 100s of tabs open.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 30, 2023 10:05AM
what they both said and ..

I have a client with 2 M1 minis under Ventura.
This was a constant issue for a while with iMovie 10 that was due to the iM library being full of iM9 files. That blew their minds.
Converted and the issue mostly went away.

Still comes back occasionally when iM is running.
He restarts and all is well.

I also found that when he left source drives plugged in after grabbing the files, that would coz the issue too.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Date: May 30, 2023 11:03AM
Thx, all. Reboted and we'll see what shakes. I don't use Chrome, tho...

Something different.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 30, 2023 01:22PM
Never seen this before.

I see it from time to time on my Late 2012 mini, with 12G RAM.

One app uses a lot of memory so open a couple-three semi hungry apps and I'll probably get that message.

I never got it when I had 16G but one 8G stick went bad and I replaced it with a 12G stick, so now I have to watch what I run.

The prices for one 8G stick have put me off.

This is the main reason I'd get at least 16G even with the M1 chip.

Safari can be a memory hog, too.

Besides a reboot, I'd use Disk Utility or a Safe Boot.

It's rare that they find the problem, but it's happened and running DU was the answer.

Also, when DiskWarrior stalled at a the same point every time, running due either said it found a problem or didn't but then DW ran as it should.

I quit it whenever I'm done, and will restart it if I've been surfing a lot.

Actually I tend to quit most apps if I'm not using them, to avoid that situation.

With 16G, I didn't bother.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 30, 2023 01:53PM
I use to see that on my 2017 imac running mojave. The activity monitor would show that the Energy Saver pref was the culprit. I think I went on an uninstall binge that included removing old Cybermax utility software and I don't think it's happened since.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see adobe software doing that occasionally.
Posted by: rouderon
Date: May 30, 2023 03:08PM
I also have a 2012 Mac Mini (with 16gb ram) running Mojave. I was periodically getting the out of memory alerts, so I downloaded Memory Diag from the App Store and keep an eye on the meter in the task bar. Once it shows close to or totally full (it's at this point that I usually notice Safari not being very responsive) I just run it to free up memory and everything goes back to normal.
Date: May 30, 2023 03:27PM
I have 32GB in my MBP! Shouldn't have the issue at all! I'll take a look at Memory Diag.

Something different.

Posted by: Tiangou
Date: May 30, 2023 03:39PM
C(-)ris
We have that come up occationally on some of our users machines. Usually they are either out of disk space or Chrome is eating up all their memory because they have 100s of tabs open.

If you use Premiere, there’s a good chance that its cache has filled the drive. Hit your Premiere pref’s and clear it.

Date: May 30, 2023 08:18PM
K. Again, thx!

Something different.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 232
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020