advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anybody make their own corndogs?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 16, 2023 03:52PM
I used to buy somebody's corndogs at Costco, but as with so many Costco food products, they're just ok at best, which is ok.

But when it's a bunch of just ok something, it becomes less than ok, and that's the last time it gets in the house.

I used to go the the Alameda county fair, and the corndogs were really good.

More out of idle curiosity than actual plans to make them (though it could happen) I was curious if any of the august members rolled their own, and had a recipe.

I picked up an 18-pack of Kirkland 1/4lb hotdogs.

They're pretty good, and I like them better than the supermarket fair I've tried so far.

Two brands, Nathan's and Casper's (or Kasper's, I don't recall) were disappointments.

I haven't tried Hebrew National or Oscar Mayer because the price just leaves me cold.

Yet I like Oscar Mayer beef bologna, so the dogs should get an audition.

And I love corn bread, so a decent corndog might be worth the effort.

Anybody?

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2023 03:53PM by RAMd®d.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anybody make their own corndogs?
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 16, 2023 04:28PM
Can't help you with corn dogs, but the only hot dogs we buy are Hebrew \National...and usually only when they're on sale. Parts is parts, but the advertising makes me think that the parts they use are generally better than those of other hot dogs. ;)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 16, 2023 05:03PM
I spent my high school years making corn dogs at the county fair. We mixed the batter from scratch, dipped the dogs, and then put them in a deep fryer. It isn't really that difficult, but you need a deep fryer (no, an air fryer won't work). The batter is just thick corn meal batter, add some spices of choice.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 16, 2023 06:39PM
....as a general rule/philosophy of life.....try not to make....more.....horndogs....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 16, 2023 07:49PM
Ombligo
I spent my high school years making corn dogs at the county fair. We mixed the batter from scratch, dipped the dogs, and then put them in a deep fryer. It isn't really that difficult, but you need a deep fryer (no, an air fryer won't work). The batter is just thick corn meal batter, add some spices of choice.

If it's not bad for me, I don't want it. I always get the giant carnival ones.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 17, 2023 12:24AM
.It isn't really that difficult, but you need a deep fryer

I'm out.

A deep fat fryer is the last appliance I'd have because deep-fat frying is more trouble than it's worth to me.

Though I might be able to make homemade McDonald's fries, but no, too much trouble.

But thanks for the information, Om,.

but the only hot dogs we buy are Hebrew \National...and usually only when they're on sale. Parts is parts,

I like their 'We answer to a higher authority ' tagline, but to me parts is parts.

Taste is the thing.

If I ever have knowledge that Safeway has them on sale, I'd abolutely try some.

But compared to other hotdogs, they're just too pricey for me to risk not liking them.

Of course I might like them, just not at the regular price, or they might be tolerable enough to finish the pack and not be disappointed for buying in the first place.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: June 17, 2023 05:02AM
Ombligo

^ That. Someone decided I needed a deep fryer in my life and gave me one for Christmas one year, and home-made corn dogs were one of the experiments I tried. The home-made ones turned out good, but not dramatically better than store-bought, or at least not better enough to justify buying all the ingredients and doing it myself. I used Oscar Mayer All Beef hot dogs, the medium sized ones not the big ones.

The most use the deep fryer got was for making onion rings because I stumbled on to a very good beer batter recipe, but even those only got made 4 or 5 times, max.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: d4
Date: June 17, 2023 06:15AM
I'm a fan of Boar's Head natural casing frankfurters. Yeah, they cost more. Rarely go on sale. And I don't own a deep fryer because that's the PITA part of making your own corndogs.

Posted by: Cary
Date: June 17, 2023 07:11AM
How much extra? A pack of 7 is $5 - 6, not on sale. So, less that $1 each.

Hebrew National hot dogs are worth the extra $$$.

They only use parts of the animal that are allowed under the rules of kashrut (generally, the front half of the animal), and are inspected for various defects. If even one defect is found, the entire animal is not kosher. This selectiveness is a large part of the reason for the higher cost.

I like hot dogs (a lot!), and will eat most any if proffered (although I've cut way down), but I only buy HN.

Put them on the grill, turn a few times until lightly charred, on a lightly toasted potato bun with deli mustard, or Gulden's spicy brown mustard, and your choice of cole slaw (my favorite), sauerkraut, chili - mmmm....

One caveat - don't buy the low fat ones - terrible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2023 07:12AM by Cary.
Posted by: davec
Date: June 17, 2023 08:12AM
Its been years since I’ve had a HN hotdog, so I can't say I’ve done a dog-to-dog comparison, but Wimmers makes a very good hot dog in my opinion. We have a locally owned hotdog stand/restaurant that makes an excellent coney-style hotdog using Wimmers franks. The meat sauce on their “Bob's Dog” makes it outstanding!

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 17, 2023 09:18AM
All of the ones I've had in the last few years have been way too salty. I just don't bother anymore. Too bad, because I used to enjoy a good dog.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 17, 2023 09:20AM
....that's what she/he said.....!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 18, 2023 10:29PM
Disneyland or bust. =)

We had pickle wrapped crusted dogs a few months ago at downtown Disney… omg so good.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 19, 2023 01:59PM
I've eaten a lot of different stuff in my lifetime but a corndog is one thing I absolutely don't care for. Maybe I've just never had a good one.

Grateful11
Posted by: Maddog
Date: June 19, 2023 03:42PM
Well, they aren't exactly corn dogs, and I do think a fresh hot corn dog is delicious. However, you can try making up your favorite corn bread recipe in muffin tins and adding a chunk of hot dog to the middle. Pretty tasty.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 156
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020