advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My 2011 MacBook Pro...
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 18, 2023 06:37PM
Fired up my 2011 MacBook Pro to check on something, and the trackpad felt funny... stiff.

The left side appears to bee slightly high, no longer sunken below the level of the wrist rest area, but the right side still is.

Guessing the battery is swollen.

Can I run this Mac on power adapter only and pull the battery, or should I get rid of it?

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: This is the 2nd Battery. I did replace the original, barely running, but not swollen battery with a model from our sponsor. Kept it going. Now I keep the old one as a museum piece, and to run an old Photoshop on the OSX Lion Partition.

Will probably just remove the battery, my 9 month old M1Pro MBP is wonderful!

Any idea what to do with a swollen Li Ion battery?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2023 09:36PM by Rolando.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My 2011 MacBook Pro...
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 18, 2023 06:50PM
Yes, a swollen battery.

Off the top of my head, I don't know if it will run without a battery but you can get a new battery from our sponsor and replace it yourself.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 18, 2023 07:00PM
it will run w/o the battery
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 18, 2023 07:13PM
It will run without the battery however it will only run at it's minimum 800 MHz speed and not the 3.x GHz it's supposed to run at. You will notice the new slowness quite a bit but it'll still run.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 18, 2023 07:38PM
PM me if you're interested in getting a new battery, I may just have a line on a really good deal for you.....
fruits of my recent labors/foray into trying to acquire a couple of 2012 MBP's. Non-retina 15" unibody, BTW.
==
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 18, 2023 08:00PM
IIRC, OWC sells a battery for that model.

It is what it is.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 18, 2023 08:22PM
[eshop.macsales.com]
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 18, 2023 08:24PM
Tools included*
Posted by: pqrst
Date: June 19, 2023 04:28AM
Battery is probably the problem but also could be need to clean and reseat the track pad switch. Check online for videos on that .
Posted by: gadje
Date: June 19, 2023 07:48AM
13" integrated GPU or 15" with both integrated and discrete GPU, the discrete one which will fail, not if but when. I reflashed my FPGA to bypass it completely.
Posted by: Microman
Date: June 19, 2023 10:27AM
Refresh the FPGA?, must be for professional user only? Or one with the proper equipment?. Have a 2011 and no problems as of yet.
Posted by: gadje
Date: June 19, 2023 12:50PM
Microman
Refresh the FPGA?, must be for professional user only? Or one with the proper equipment?. Have a 2011 and no problems as of yet.

Reflash, not refresh.

[doslabelectronics.com]

I bought the Lattice HW-USBN-2A ICSP FPGA Programmer from eBay and a pogo pin kit also from ebay. I think you need to make sure the pogo pin kit has 0.5 1.27 mm pitch (I was thinking of 0.05"). Let me see if I can find the link to what I got

EDIT: this is the pogo pin kit, 1.27 mm pitch

[www.ebay.com]

And this is the reprogramming tool

[www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2023 12:53PM by gadje.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 149
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020