The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Entomologists: What's this bug?
Posted by: DP
Date: July 04, 2023 09:18PM
It's maybe a half inch long.

Something different.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Entomologists: What's this bug?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 04, 2023 09:22PM
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: July 05, 2023 12:25AM
I usually have a policy of live and let live in our garden and accept the odd chewed leaf however these get squashed every time I find them. They and their larvae can devastate lilies.

Paul
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 05, 2023 04:18AM
voodoopenguin
I usually have a policy of live and let live in our garden and accept the odd chewed leaf however these get squashed every time I find them. They and their larvae can devastate lilies.

Paul

You commit insecticide...
Posted by: DP
Date: July 05, 2023 06:10AM
voodoopenguin

Paul

Apparently they came to North America from Europe in a batch of lilies. That is a lily seed pod the beetle is pictured on. First I've seen of these critters in my town here in SE lower Michigan. I'll have to start squishing them too...

Something different.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 05, 2023 08:30AM
God does have an inordinate fondness for beetles…
Posted by: rz
Date: July 05, 2023 11:01AM
voodoopenguin

Paul

I do the same with lubber grasshoppers. They’re actually very cool looking as adults, but they cause lots and lots of damage. Took years to eradicate them at my old house. Moved to a new house a few years ago and they’re everywhere. You can only kill then with chemicals when they’re little. As soon as the change from black to green, the only way to kill them is to stomp on them.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 05, 2023 03:53PM
rz
voodoopenguin

Paul

I do the same with lubber grasshoppers. They’re actually very cool looking as adults, but they cause lots and lots of damage. Took years to eradicate them at my old house. Moved to a new house a few years ago and they’re everywhere. You can only kill then with chemicals when they’re little. As soon as the change from black to green, the only way to kill them is to stomp on them.

Where my mom lived has the HUGE black Eastern lubbers with the red stripe down the side.
There are literally thousands of them all over her garden. She used to wage a personal war on them each year.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 05, 2023 04:18PM
Ok…. Now I’m chuckling because I remember how mom had us swatting grasshoppers in her big organic garden. With badminton racquets !
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 464
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020