Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: PSA
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 18, 2023 11:51AM
Prostate cancer: To treat or not to treat

there's no charge to make an acct and read.
the only shares are anti-social medai, so ... not me.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: PSA
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 18, 2023 12:09PM
Didn't register, so only got to see the first 'graph, but it's a real dilemma which most of the male public doesn't know about.

A very large number of men will develop prostate cancer (or what looks indistinguishable from prostate cancer under a microscope) if they live long enough, and most will never know...unless their PSA goes up a little and a biopsy happens to catch it.

Now, lots of men die from prostate cancer. But many, many more will have a silent, asymptomatic cancer which will never bother them, and medical science has not yet entirely figured out which course any particular prostate cancer will take. And definitive surgical treatment (ie prostatectomy) can have pretty significant side effects which historically are kind of minimized by urologists.

For myself, I had a baseline PSA at around 60 years, and I'm not interested in the result (other than it apparently was normal) and won't be checking again unless I develop symptoms. I might regret that some day, but I've seen/heard of too many men who had big-time surgery for possibly no benefit.

It's a discussion men should have with their doctors, before they see the urologist.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 18, 2023 12:52PM

==
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 18, 2023 01:09PM
I just wanted to pass the Mayo:

[mcpress.mayoclinic.org]

…and this:

[www.thelancet.com]
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 18, 2023 02:23PM

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 18, 2023 04:08PM
Almost every man will die with prostate cancer (very small, slow-growing, etc.). Relatively few men die of prostate cancer.
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: July 18, 2023 05:12PM
Buzz

==

How Ya Gona Keep Im Down On The Ground After They fly PSA?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 644
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020