advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone using Sketchup ?
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: July 21, 2023 03:20PM
Residential design commission in the offing.
Haven’t used a CAD program in 15 years.
Advice, tips ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone using Sketchup ?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 21, 2023 03:32PM
it's really good, but I found it a steeeeep learning curve.
Though that was some time ago.

Good community.
[forums.sketchup.com]

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2023 03:33PM by Fritz.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: July 21, 2023 03:39PM
It's good, up to a point.

They've done next to nothing to optimize the app's performance.

The clipboard handling, in particular, is obscene. One copy/paste operation can take ages. (Hours in some cases.)

Per their forums:
Within a Sketchup instance, the fastest way to copy geometry is to select, move, and then activate copy (Ctrl on Windows) just before committing.

Between two Sketchup instances, however, you cannot move geometry. So natively, you have to copy via memory.

And this often takes many minutes. One minute. Two minutes. Five. Ten. Fifteen. Twenty minutes, indeed. And counting. So, why is this?

Apparently, Sketchup forces lots of internal consistency checks when copying to memory. When creating new containers. When doing many other things. These checks are incredibly slow. From a programming point of view, Sketchup’s behaviour is most likely very badly optimized. There is either something sloppy about the internal database structure, or about how it is being processed, or about both.

We know this because other 3D modellers are much, much faster doing similar tasks. Both copying between instances and doing other editing of non-trivial geometry. Sketchup can do OK in terms of showing complex geometry. It’s editing that grinds it to a halt.

While we’re staring at Sketchup’s blank and irresponsive screen after a sizeable copy, no processor core is even near maxing out. So this process may be memory-bound. Its slowness does not matter when working with three cubes, for it escapes notice. As it did around twenty years ago.

However, when working with contemporary, real-life models, i.e. complex geometry, like you and I do, the recurring waiting times is a real pain.

All this would be bearable if it were not for the fact that other 3D modelers do perfectly fine without all this waiting time. Which proves this is unnecessary...

Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 21, 2023 04:38PM
S              ?
cool smiley
==
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 21, 2023 04:44PM
I'm also interested in the answer. It's been a long while but I tried to get into it many years ago and found it not like anything else I had used and gave up. Perhaps I should look again; it would be very useful.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 21, 2023 09:11PM
.....with my.....Sketchers....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 22, 2023 01:14AM
Sketchup looks okay but I get the impression that the free version to start learning with, does not have the same workflow as the full commercial version.

I have been out of CAD for 11 years, so sort of in the same boat. What CAD program did you use, and what OS? If the program you used 15 years ago has a version for your current OS, use that. Having a somewhat familiar place to start can help a lot with your first couple of weeks of productivity.

[architosh.com] used to be a good resource for Mac users but it now it seems to be solutions for big companies rather than single users.

From online reviews... TinkerCAD (web app with version for iPad) and FreeCAD sound like they have the fastest learning curves. LibreCAD seems like a step in being more complex to get running and learning.

In the 'professional/paid' category, next is TurboCAD, then AutoCAD (50 to 200 hours of watching videos and doing tutorials).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Re: Anyone using Sketchup ? update
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: July 22, 2023 08:34PM
Thanks for the info !
Downloaded a supposed full version 30 day trial.
More after I give it a test drive.

Installed, but incredibly slow just to load !
Not authorized yet, so more to follow.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2023 09:11PM by nwyaker.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020