advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Have you ever experienced an aborted landing?
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 26, 2023 09:09PM
Yesterday as I was returning to SFO from JFK we were getting close to landing, I didn't have a view of any windows so I wasn't sure how close we were, but I knew we were slowing, descending and the landing gear was down. Then suddenly the engines went to full throttle, we started climbing and the landing gear was retracted. I knew we weren't landing anymore and also knew that was the standard procedure for a "Go Around".

Once we got higher and things were more settled they made an announcement letting us know that at the last minute we were told to abort the landing because there was another aircraft still on the runway.

What they didn't tell us and what I didn't know since I couldn't see outside was how low we got. Lowest recorded altitude from the flight tracking was 25 feet, and we were just about at the beginning of the runway.

[flightaware.com]
[www.flightradar24.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Have you ever experienced an aborted landing?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 26, 2023 09:22PM
not a landing, but a takeoff. it was in Mexico and and we were getting good speed for takeoff and all of a sudden, bam! I was eating the back of the seat in front of me. I guess a dog wandered onto the runway according to the pilot. Mexico.

Hurts like a bastid...
Date: July 26, 2023 09:29PM
mrbigstuff
I guess a dog wandered onto the runway according to the pilot. Mexico.

Speaking of dogs and Mexico, as I was walking through the terminal after getting off the plane, the name of one restaurant caught my eye as being unusual and wondering exactly what they serve.

It was a Mexican restaurant called "The Little Chihuahua".

[www.flysfo.com]

Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 26, 2023 10:09PM
It doesn't count unless you do a touch and go.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 26, 2023 10:25PM
Yep. Happened on a flight from San Francisco to Amsterdam with a stop in New Jersey. We were peacefully floating in for a landing in NJ with the wheels just about touching down, when suddenly the engines revved up to full throttle and the plane took a hard bank to the left. Shortly thereafter the captain came on the intercom and said that there was nothing to worry about but that he had aborted the landing due to excessive traffic near the runway (in other words we were going to collide with another plane!). That scared the bejeezus out of me but we made it all the way to Amsterdam and subsequently had a great time wandering all over Europe.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 26, 2023 10:27PM
Only intentional ones while I was learning to fly.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: July 26, 2023 10:45PM
My wife has been on a couple of planes that have touched the runway and then aborted and circled around for a do-over. One happened recently. The other was about 5 years ago. I believe both were in icy conditions.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: July 26, 2023 10:52PM
Yes, I was on a flight landing at O'Hare that suddenly throttled up and did a go-around. Pilot said it was because "Brand X" hadn't cleared the runway fast enough before we arrived.
Posted by: apocketfulofwry
Date: July 26, 2023 10:58PM
I had a similar experience flying into LaGuardia some years ago—not as close to the ground, but I had a window seat, and saw another plane crossing the runway in front of us.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 26, 2023 11:01PM
......after Supreme Court ruling.......illegal in most states.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Wags
Date: July 26, 2023 11:55PM
Yeah, coming into the old Denver airport during Christmas season where I had to change planes. Just before the wheels were about to touch the pilot threw the throttles open and surged forward. Everyone on the plane began to scream. For several seconds we all literally thought we were going to die. After he got some elevation the pilot came on the radio and said something like, “I guess we’ll circle around and try that one again”. Never found out why. Went straight into the bar after.
Posted by: Smote
Date: July 27, 2023 01:52AM
the only thing that really matters is that number of take-offs and landings are equal.

"Defending your own life when in immediate danger to me is a basic right of each person. " Lemon Drop 11/17/2023 03:10 pm

Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008) Private citizens have the right under the Second Amendment to possess an ordinary type of weapon and use it for lawful, historically established situations such as self-defense in a home, even when there is no relationship to a local militia.

"The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner." Right to Keep and Bear Arms: Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-seventh Congress, Second Session. U.S. Government Printing Office. 1982. Digitized September 30, 2008.

From the NYSRPA v Bruen "Today, we decline to adopt that two-part approach. . . . Despite the popularity of this two-step approach, it is one step too many. Step one of the predominant framework is broadly consistent with Heller, which demands a test rooted in the Second Amendment's text, as informed by history."
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 27, 2023 03:34AM
Yes. About to land in Jamaica and a woman goes into the bathroom. Pilot gets on the intercom telling passenger to return to their seat. She doesn’t. Pilot pulls up last minute. When she finally exited, we all clapped. Needless to say, she stayed in her seat until everyone else deplaned.
Posted by: DP
Date: July 27, 2023 06:38AM
Yes, a few times. Usual reason was an aircraft still on the runway.

Something different.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 27, 2023 06:49AM
I flew into Toncontin in Honduras on a regular basis. It was regarded as the third worse international airport in the world. Pilots had to thread their way through mountain passes and then corkscrew into the airport (you could literally look into people's houses while doing so). The runway was short and with a shear drop at one end, and at one time there were fuel storage tanks at the other end. Crews had to receive special certification to land there.

Aborts were common, but the craziest was in the mid-late 80s' when Eastern was flying. We aborted 3-4 times before just flying away and landing in San Pedro Sula. The crew got off and a local crew from Tan Sasha Air came on, flew us back to Toncontin, and landed on the first try.

Built in the 40s', Toncontin is no longer the primary international airport as Palmerola took over a few years ago. It has a straight-in approach with a long runway. Safe but boring.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: flareslow
Date: July 27, 2023 08:17AM
Go-arounds are all about safety. We trained on them in the simulator, because we didn't need to actually do them very often. The procedure for doing one is a little like a takeoff, but since you aren't usually in the frame of mind where you are thinking about the steps involved, it's easy to screw it up if you try to do it using the autopilot - usually by overspeeding the flaps. The aircraft weight at landing is much less than normal takeoffs, so it becomes a real hot rod. A little throttle goes a long way.

Or you could be in one of the early model Airbus planes that had fly-by-wire throttles and turn the aircraft into a multimillion dollar chainsaw when the engines won't respond to pilot inputs because the flight management system wants to land. Happened at an industry airshow some years back.

Something folks don't consider. We guessed that each go-around costs the company about $10K (1990's costs)
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 27, 2023 08:31AM
SFO is the king of aborted landings. At least twice there.

Nothing is scary on a plane until the pilot announces there has been a fire in the cockpit the windshield is shattered and he is turning around. And you're one hour over the Atlantic.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 27, 2023 08:36AM
I think so, but didn't find it that noteworthy.

Posted by: gadje
Date: July 27, 2023 08:58AM
Smote
the only thing that really matters is that number of take-offs and landings are equal.

are you posting from a plane right now?
Date: July 27, 2023 09:37AM
mattkime
I think so, but didn't find it that noteworthy.

The most noteworthy part to me was the altitude. When it's reported as 25 feet, you begin to wonder if it got even lower between sampling/reporting periods, and what part of the plane that's measured from. With the landing gear down and with the nose angled up a bit I could imagine close to 25 feet difference between the highest and lowest parts of the plane itself.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 27, 2023 09:50AM
Wow. Never had it happen and I hope it never does!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 27, 2023 10:24AM
Fortunately has never happened to me. Worst thing that ever occurred was the captain announcing that nothing was wrong with the plane, but we were diverting to Gander, Newfoundland. We didn't find out why until we were sitting on the ground with 38 other jumbos at this tiny airport.

Spousal unit was on a CRJ that had to return to the airport because the thrust reverser indicated that it was deployed. Thankfully, it was just a faulty sensor.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: July 27, 2023 11:41AM
GGD
mrbigstuff
I guess a dog wandered onto the runway according to the pilot. Mexico.

Speaking of dogs and Mexico, as I was walking through the terminal after getting off the plane, the name of one restaurant caught my eye as being unusual and wondering exactly what they serve.

It was a Mexican restaurant called "The Little Chihuahua".

[www.flysfo.com]

Fantastic burritos!
Posted by: Spock
Date: July 27, 2023 12:15PM
Hong Kong's old airport, Kai Tak. Definitely a brown trouser event.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: gadje
Date: July 27, 2023 02:01PM
Lux Interior
Fortunately has never happened to me. Worst thing that ever occurred was the captain announcing that nothing was wrong with the plane, but we were diverting to Gander, Newfoundland. We didn't find out why until we were sitting on the ground with 38 other jumbos at this tiny airport.

9/11?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 27, 2023 06:04PM
Lux Interior
Spousal unit was on a CRJ that had to return to the airport because the thrust reverser indicated that it was deployed. Thankfully, it was just a faulty sensor.

Thankfully, indeed. A thrust reverser engaged in flight is 100% fatal (unless the pilots can shut down the engine instantly, but that would require super-human reaction).
Date: July 27, 2023 09:46PM
AllGold
Lux Interior

Thankfully, indeed. A thrust reverser engaged in flight is 100% fatal (unless the pilots can shut down the engine instantly, but that would require super-human reaction).

I know nothing of aircraft mechanisms, but I'd have to believe that there's something that prevents such an occurrence, given that even auto makers can prevent you from throwing the car into reverse.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 27, 2023 10:09PM
mrbigstuff
AllGold
Lux Interior

I know nothing of aircraft mechanisms, but I'd have to believe that there's something that prevents such an occurrence, given that even auto makers can prevent you from throwing the car into reverse.

There are supposed to be mechanisms to lock out the thrust reversers, but they have failed on more than one occasion.
Posted by: Black
Date: July 28, 2023 08:02AM
Date: July 28, 2023 09:44AM
Black
Lauda flight 004 1991

JFC! I hate flying as it is, something else to be worried about. But the physical locking preventative measure was in use, apparently, in earlier versions of the 767.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 28, 2023 11:27AM
Yes, coming in to LaGuardia. We had a very, very bumpy descent, and we were close to the runway when the pilot pulled us out of there and took us to JFK. Wind shear conditions at LGA but not at JFK. Scary.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2023 11:27AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 29, 2023 11:46AM
Yep. Flying from Austin to Birmingham in 2004 in bad weather. It was... interesting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 183
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020