advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"The Blind Side" Family claims they are the victims of an attempted shakedown
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 15, 2023 09:12PM
Looks like they are going to have to hash this all out in court with people under oath. I don't know many details but I wouldn't be surprised if the family helped him AND made money off the story. I can't imagine most young men that age from any background have a firm grasp of financial/contract law. The financial documents will tell the story. Too bad a feel good story turned sour.

Previous discussion: [forums.macresource.com]

[www.espn.com]

The Tennessee family accused by retired NFL star Michael Oher of tricking him into a conservatorship and claiming all the proceeds from a blockbuster film about his life responded to the allegations Tuesday by claiming that Oher threatened to go public with his story if they did not pay him $15 million.

Attorney Martin Singer issued a statement on the Tuohys' behalf that called Oher's claims "outlandish" and said "the idea that the family ever sought to profit off Mr. Oher is not only offensive, it is transparently ridiculous."

"In reality, the Tuohys opened their home to Mr. Oher, offered him structure, support and, most of all, unconditional love," Singer's statement said. "They have consistently treated him like a son and one of their three children. His response was to threaten them, including saying that he would plant a negative story about them in the press unless they paid him $15 million."

Oher's attorney, J. Gerard Stranch IV, declined to comment when reached by ESPN on Tuesday.

The story of Leigh Anne and Sean Tuohy and their efforts to help raise Oher out of poverty to the NFL was immortalized in the 2009 movie "The Blind Side." On Monday, Oher petitioned a Tennessee probate court with allegations that a central element of the story -- that the Tuohys had adopted him -- was a lie concocted by the family to enrich itself. Instead, less than three months after Oher turned 18 in 2004, the petition says, the couple tricked him into signing a document making them his conservators, which gave them legal authority to make business deals in his name.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "The Blind Side" Family claims they are the victims of an attempted shakedown
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 15, 2023 10:03PM
I worry that he is being taken advantage of by someone new now, after being taken advantage of earlier...
Re: "The Blind Side" Family claims they are the victims of an attempted shakedown
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 15, 2023 11:35PM
They are using their white privilege by figuring that we will easily believe that a black guy was trying to commit a crime. The same guy they made a fortune by claiming to have turned his life around. Guess they don't think they did such a good job raising him after all. Screw them.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 16, 2023 02:10AM
The families statement reads like a non-denial denial.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 16, 2023 07:35AM
…..blind….ambition….????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 16, 2023 09:21AM
We will see. I expect lawyers on both sides have been “trying the case in the media” as is tradition.
Date: August 16, 2023 10:06AM
I don't have a lot of information to work with and the following comment will be made with few facts. My gut feeling tells me this is something similar to the "A homeless guy game me his last $20, lets raise money for him" feel to it all. The family did assist him but also made bank off the book and movie rights. They did they promising him some of the proceeds without disclosing how much they profited. Maybe he caught wind of it and asked for what was his "fair share" and the family interprets this as a shake down.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: gadje
Date: August 16, 2023 10:23AM
Never heard of this. Have I been living under a rock?
Date: August 16, 2023 10:49AM
gadje
Never heard of this. Have I been living under a rock?

It's a feel good "based on a true story" movie that came out in 2009 about now retired NFL player.

From IMDB, "Based on the true story of Leigh Anne Tuohy and Sean Tuohy who take in a homeless teenage African-American, Michael Oher. Michael has no idea who his father is and his mother is a drug addict. Michael has had little formal education and few skills to help him learn. Leigh Anne soon takes charge however, as is her nature, ensuring that the young man has every opportunity to succeed. When he expresses an interest in football, she goes all out to help him, including giving the coach a few ideas on how best to use Michael's skills. They not only provide him with a loving home, but hire a tutor to help him improve his grades to the point where he would qualify for an NCAA Division I athletic scholarship. Michael Oher was the first-round pick of the Baltimore Ravens in the 2009 NFL draft."

Posted by: numbered
Date: August 16, 2023 10:55AM
This was a Michael Lewis book before the movie was made. Like Moneyball, etc. The negative reviews then were mostly that Lewis suggested that athletics was the only thing that mattered. That was not my take from the book.

Really unfortunate.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 17, 2023 04:59AM
That couple better have kept good records WRT the conservatorship so they can back up what they're saying.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 469
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020