advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Blue B*******s?!.....'Blue Beetle' seems to be underperforming....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 18, 2023 11:11PM
.....made $3.3m in early previews which is the lowest so far for DC movie this year......it may turn around.....

Blue Beetle Box Office Earns DC’s Lowest Thursday Night Previews of 2023

....Blue Beetle earned the lowest Thursday night previews of any other DC movie in 2023 at the box office.

2023 has not been the strongest year for DC commercially. Their first two superhero movies—Shazam! Fury of the Gods and The Flash—both bombed at the box office. The Flash, which cost $200-220 million to make, is now estimated to be one of the biggest box office bombs of all time.

Blue Beetle box office
However, Blue Beetle earned $3.3 million in Thursday night previews at the box office. This is lower than the previews for Shazam! Fury of the Gods, which earned $3.4 million, and The Flash, which earned $9.7 million. Blue Beetle is currently tracking to make $25-32 million in its opening weekend, which would put it on par with Shazam 2’s $30 million opening.

As Blue Beetle and Shazam 2 had similar budgets, their Thursday night previews are a harbinger that the two will perform similarly at the box office. The new film featuring DC’s first Latino protagonist in a movie will have to rely on word of mouth and a lack of competition if it hopes to outperform the other DC superhero movies from 2023.

..........so far...............not so good..........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Blue B*******s?!.....'Blue Beetle' seems to be underperforming....
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: August 19, 2023 12:26AM
[www.rottentomatoes.com]

Tomatometer 77%

Audience Score 91%

Blue Beetle is on my radar, I’ll give it a chance…

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2023 12:30AM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 19, 2023 02:40AM
its a barely known character with powers that no one understands, not even BB... maybe destined for failure?

Flash had decent reviews as well... we never went, and we go to just about everything,

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 19, 2023 07:17AM
jdc,

Blue Beetle is actually a more well known character than you might think, especially if you've followed recent DC cartoons and books. However, though, it was definitely a mistake to use Blue Beetle as the main character of his own movie. DC has a vast collection of characters and teams and I could name a slew of others who would have made for superior choice. A movie about the Teen Titans, the Legion of Super Heroes, characters from each of the teams, you name it.

Robert
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 19, 2023 11:29AM
I guess the ad agency was hoping to soak up some of that Rocky magic by osmosis.

‘Blue Beetle’ Ad on the Steps of Philadelphia Museum Rankles Locals
[www.artnews.com]

[www.inquirer.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 19, 2023 12:52PM
Agree — I have followed and watched all of the toons and I’m aware of his current and past story. They gave him a big arc in later young justice. But he was never a standout.

And if you were to ask most peeps “blue beetle” go… super hero (or whatever u want to classify him) wouldn’t be in the top 20 guesses. ;)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 20, 2023 10:46AM
I like the kid from Cobra Kai, but this movie looks really terrible judging by the trailers.
Date: August 20, 2023 01:12PM
jdc,

Agreed and, the rare time Blue Beetle comes to mind, I think of Ted Cord. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: August 20, 2023 07:45PM
Robert M
jdc,

Agreed and, the rare time Blue Beetle comes to mind, I think of Ted Cord. smiling smiley

I think of a bunch of forgettable second-stringers, including Booster Gold and Robotman (tho Robotman has had a bit of a boost lately with Doom Patrol).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2023 07:45PM by Tiangou.
Date: August 21, 2023 12:32PM
Tiangou,

Robotman is interesting since he's been a part of Doom Patrol from the very beginning, which as a team, has always enjoyed a surprising level of popularity. There has been a series or mini-series or something happening with the Doom Patrol constantly over the years.

Robert
Date: August 21, 2023 01:16PM
Was talking about the surge in Robotman’s popularity following the TV (streaming) show.

Relatively few people follow Doom Patrol in the comics.

Date: August 21, 2023 02:03PM
Tiangou,

The publication history seems to disagree with you. Doom Patrol may not be incredibly popular but iDC wouldn't keep publishing books about them if few people followed the team and/or characters. DC started _another_ Doom Patrol mini-series in March 2023. This is after several other series over the years and after reintroducing many of the characters to mainstream Dc continuity, i.e. Robotman, Elasti-girl, Negative Man, Dr Niles Caulder. Makes you wonder.... Who is more popular, the current Blue Beetle which earned a movie and a significant arc in a cartoon or Doom Patrol which has earned books and a TV series.

Robert
Date: August 22, 2023 07:49AM
When I was growing up, Doom Patrol was one of those team-ups that everyone was peripherally aware of because the characters would occasionally team up with one of the A-listers, but few followed their stories.

IMHO, it became a TV series because the IP was cheap and "Guardians of the Galaxy" had shown that lesser-known comics/characters could blow up when given the right opportunity... And Titans was underperforming so they were throwing whatever they could at the wall.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020