advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Lutron dimmer switch requires it's own hub?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 21, 2023 11:26AM
Jumping into the home automation game I bought a Lutron Caseta dimmer switch. Very attractive and the manual controls work as expected. Went to add it to HomeKit and the instructions say I need an $80 Lutron hub to make it work. What? That seems pretty steep. So my questions are:
1) Am I correct in thinking I need a Lutron hub?
2) Should I have bought a different dimmer?

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Lutron dimmer switch requires it's own hub?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 21, 2023 12:10PM
Its up to you. Decided to use Lutron fan controllers because I wanted something that contrasted with my Leviton dimmers - I have no idea why a company would make fan and light controls look similar but there you go.

I have the hub. It works well. I basically never think about the Lutron fan controls.

What are you using for a smart home hub? You mention homekit - do you have an appletv 4K? Hm, I think it can be a hub but I'm not familiar with using it as such

Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 21, 2023 12:23PM
I use an Appletv as my HomeKit hub but the instructions for this Lutron dimmer seem to say I need the Lutron hub to connect the dimmer to HomeKit. Just want to verify before spending $80 which sounds crazy expensive for this task.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 21, 2023 12:25PM
Yes, you need the hub. I haven't connected it to homekit but I have connected it to my raspberry pi powered smart home setup.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 21, 2023 12:34PM
As everyone has noted, yes, you need the Lutron hub (to use the Lutron app) and then ALSO an AppleTV or other HomeKit hub to add HomeKit compatibility.

Up to you if you want a different dimmer. I like the Caseta ecosystem because there's no neutral required for the dimmers (oddly there is for the on/off switches). The range from switch to hub is really good (I have the hub in a cabinet on the first floor and no issues with switches on the 3rd floor, likewise with switches in the basement through concrete/cinder block where WiFi was terrible).

I also like the Pico remotes which means you can create your own 3/4/5+ way switches.

PM me if you want to buy a hub at a discount. I have some extras that were broken out from kits.

The only thing I don't like, since HomeKit integration seems like an afterthought, is that it can take a while for changes made in the Lutron app to sync with HomeKit.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 21, 2023 12:59PM
That said, if you're only planning on having 1 or 2, maybe a few switches, then maybe something else is a better choice than adding a hub.

I have 20+ switches and 12+ pico remotes, so the hub is not a big cost of my overall system.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 21, 2023 07:02PM
I like Lutron Caseta as well. Have a bunch of their light switches and a few fan controllers. With a Pico remote, one can easily create 3 and 4 way switches.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 21, 2023 11:57PM
I like Lutron but the company is not up-to-date with its home automation efforts.

As an aside, Dave, did you consider not using dimmers at all and instead going with dimmable lights, e.g. Nanoleaf Essentials bulbs? If not, why not?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 142
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020