advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
John Warnock, co-founder of Adobe, has died
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 25, 2023 11:05AM
Warnock and Chuck Geschke founded Adobe in 1980 and, with others at Adobe, created Postscript, based on work done by Xerox PARC. The first Laserwriter (initially would have been called Lightwriter) used a Xerox engine with an interface board developed by Burrel Smith with more processing power than the Mac at the time. PS was being developed at the same time as the LW board. Early versions of PS sent to Apple for testing using the prototype printer with Burrel's board would often choke on a simple 2D vector monochrome wireframe drawing with 50 elements. Think early MacDraw files. PS was central to the desktop publishing revolution pioneered by Apple. WYSIWYG. But y'all probably know all that.

Warnock dead at 83, of pancreatic cancer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2023 11:07AM by lost in space.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: John Warnock, co-founder of Adobe, has died
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 25, 2023 11:33AM
I met him once, at some DTP event. RIP.

He came across as a very intelligent man who was a bit surprised by young DTP people (such as my coworker and I) coming up and thanking him for his work.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2023 12:19PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 25, 2023 11:39AM
Responsible for many many hundreds of thousands of creative careers. We all tip our hats.
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 25, 2023 12:02PM
What's up with pancreatic cancer. Seems like it's coming up a lot in the news and in my own local circles.
Date: August 25, 2023 12:06PM
Acer
What's up with pancreatic cancer. Seems like it's coming up a lot in the news and in my own local circles.

Yeah man. I even stop reading because it's so upsetting to hear about it.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: August 25, 2023 01:10PM
Adobe distributed his bio to the press as a PDF, which he invented.
Date: August 25, 2023 01:34PM
tronnei
Adobe distributed his bio to the press as a PDF, which he invented.

Cool move
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 26, 2023 07:34AM
Acer

Silent killer. My Dad was the strongest 80 yo man I've ever known, still cutting huge amounts of firewood, yard work, huge garden, camper permanently setup in the mountains, house on Oak Island, NC plus their main home and he maintained all of this himself, Mom helped with the gardening and canning and housekeeping.

He found out he had pancreatic cancer at 82 it was Stage 4. He was gone within 6 months, that @#$%& took him down to nothing in a hurry. He had symptoms, low back and stomach pain and kept telling his Drs. but one even put him on a anti depressant saying it might just be in his head. Finally one Dr. said lets run a scope down and I think it went through his stomach wall or something and the camera showed a tumor on his pancreas. It was too late.

Grateful11
Date: August 26, 2023 06:16PM
Grateful11
Acer

Silent killer. My Dad was the strongest 80 yo man I've ever known, still cutting huge amounts of firewood, yard work, huge garden, camper permanently setup in the mountains, house on Oak Island, NC plus their main home and he maintained all of this himself, Mom helped with the gardening and canning and housekeeping.

He found out he had pancreatic cancer at 82 it was Stage 4. He was gone within 6 months, that @#$%& took him down to nothing in a hurry. He had symptoms, low back and stomach pain and kept telling his Drs. but one even put him on a anti depressant saying it might just be in his head. Finally one Dr. said lets run a scope down and I think it went through his stomach wall or something and the camera showed a tumor on his pancreas. It was too late.

Dang. Your Dad deserved better. Bless him.
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 27, 2023 11:06AM
Would he be the guy who, with his son, released PS on Compuserve way back when?
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 27, 2023 04:21PM
vision63
Grateful11
Acer

Dang. Your Dad deserved better. Bless him.

Ditto, such a disappointment man (and that’s an understatement).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 173
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020