advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The market for the Mac Pro Trash Can sure has collaped
Posted by: JPK
Date: August 31, 2023 12:18PM
What what $650 a year ago is $225 today!

Wow

JPK
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The market for the Mac Pro Trash Can sure has collaped
Posted by: decay
Date: August 31, 2023 12:34PM
wow!

---
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 31, 2023 12:36PM
It was only a matter of time that this would happen once Apple Silicon came out.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 31, 2023 12:40PM
mikebw
It was only a matter of time that this would happen once Apple Silicon came out.

agree smiley

Posted by: gabester
Date: August 31, 2023 12:50PM
I bought a forumite's 2010 Mac Pro a couple years ago for $200... I'd much rather have one of these for $250... depending on storage configuration. And, well, the fact that you can't add extra internal drives.

g=
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 31, 2023 01:11PM
gabester
And, well, the fact that you can't add extra internal drives.

"Untrue". Before I "retired" my trash can, I had 3 x NVMe drives in it using an Amfeltec adapter, so theoretical capacity of 24TB. Of course, not really cheap to do so, and you certainly can't add any 3.5" drives. And my bluetooth/wifi card eventually died after doing so (might have been coincidence, or it might have been the added heat, but at least that's a cheap part).

The trash can still "smokes" the M1 Studio in one task, Excel, but that's only because it could run Excel 2011 on an older OS, which is way faster (for me) than Excel 365.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 31, 2023 01:26PM
Gareth
gabester
And, well, the fact that you can't add extra internal drives.

"Untrue". Before I "retired" my trash can, I had 3 x NVMe drives in it using an Amfeltec adapter, so theoretical capacity of 24TB. Of course, not really cheap to do so, and you certainly can't add any 3.5" drives. And my bluetooth/wifi card eventually died after doing so (might have been coincidence, or it might have been the added heat, but at least that's a cheap part).

The trash can still "smokes" the M1 Studio in one task, Excel, but that's only because it could run Excel 2011 on an older OS, which is way faster (for me) than Excel 365.

Agreed, and this is definitely a YMMV kind of situation; and I am 100% for continued use and life extension of pretty much any Mac model -- my agreement is more about mikebw's comment on how the market dried up. Cheap (relatively speaking) M1 Macs are going to (and have) drive down pricing. That's just how it's going to work out.

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 31, 2023 03:22PM
A fully functioning SE/30 can go for more than that.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 31, 2023 05:28PM
They were insanely fast in their day, I remember getting two when they were first released and they were amazing. It was short lived though. The $599 M2 Mini runs circles around it.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 31, 2023 05:42PM
I've been noticing the price collapse seems to be tumbling more for the trash can than it is for the cheese grater tower but I'm looking at FB Marketplace prices. 27" iMac prices are also tumbling, seen some really nice ones for $250-300.

Makes me want to replace my Mid 2010 27" iMac with something a little newer but it still does what I need it to do.

Grateful11
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 31, 2023 06:54PM
Grateful11
I've been noticing the price collapse seems to be tumbling more for the trash can than it is for the cheese grater tower but I'm looking at FB Marketplace prices. 27" iMac prices are also tumbling, seen some really nice ones for $250-300.

Makes me want to replace my Mid 2010 27" iMac with something a little newer but it still does what I need it to do.

The trashcan has nothing going for it. It isn't expandable easily, it doesn't run any of the "holy grail" Mac OS versions that people cling to, it has video card and logic board issues, and generally speaking wasn't that well received in the first place. I might pick one up for $100 just as a decoration but that is about the extent of their usefulness.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Date: August 31, 2023 07:03PM
C(-)ris
...it doesn't run any of the "holy grail" Mac OS versions that people cling to...

Well, it does run High Sierra and Mojave, the last OS's for 32-bit compatibility, which is why I was using mine until this year.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 31, 2023 08:10PM
C(-)ris
They were insanely fast in their day, I remember getting two when they were first released and they were amazing. It was short lived though. The $599 M2 Mini runs circles around it.

Maybe fast when it came out 10 years ago, but no ability to upgrade processors past that specific generation of Xeons. Then the GPUs were proprietary, no upgrades possible outside of them. So stuck at 2012 tech for its entire life.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 31, 2023 11:03PM
Not interested at all. Was a clearly bad idea when announced.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 01, 2023 12:31AM
Grateful11

Really dug my 2010 w 2.93 i7. Speedy. IF I was looking to replace, Id move to at least a 2015, 5K screen, 64 GB of DIY ram and will run up to Monterey.... but not ventura. should last a good while longer.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 01, 2023 06:18AM
I had been wondering if anyone around here had any love for the Trash Can. I guess not.

They have become cheap enough that I am thinking about grabbing one anyway. Not that I really have much use for one, but the novelty piqued my interest a little.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 01, 2023 08:33AM
Only appeal of it to me is as an example of where "form over function" resulted in a decent looking system, but a technological dead end.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 01, 2023 08:35AM
AllGold
I had been wondering if anyone around here had any love for the Trash Can. I guess not.

They have become cheap enough that I am thinking about grabbing one anyway. Not that I really have much use for one, but the novelty piqued my interest a little.

I had the pleasure of using one in 2013 for about a year. Paired with dual Apple 27" displays it was a stunning setup. Added an OWC external dual drive enclosure for video files and I had zero complaints.

I can see Apple doing another iteration of this concept, like they did the G4 cube, then the MacPro Tube, but with a future M-series processor. It won't sell a ton and it won't be expandable, but it will look cool and a set of people will love it for a time.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: September 01, 2023 10:28AM
JoeH
C(-)ris

Maybe fast when it came out 10 years ago, but no ability to upgrade processors past that specific generation of Xeons. Then the GPUs were proprietary, no upgrades possible outside of them. So stuck at 2012 tech for its entire life.

High incidence of GPU failure. Low power on the USB ports. Expensive to repair or upgrade. Can't run the latest macOS.

The enclosure is nice. I've considered modding one to put a M2 Mac mini inside.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 01, 2023 12:12PM
Tiangou,

Everything you said is an issue and the other compelling problem is that it has Thunderbolt 2 ports. I'd be a bit more forgiving of the model if it had Thunderbolt 3. Thunderbolt 2? Nope. I wouldn't consider one as a Mojave machine because of it doesn't have Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Robert
Date: September 01, 2023 01:58PM
C(-)ris
Grateful11

The trashcan has nothing going for it. It isn't expandable easily, it doesn't run any of the "holy grail" Mac OS versions that people cling to, it has video card and logic board issues, and generally speaking wasn't that well received in the first place. I might pick one up for $100 just as a decoration but that is about the extent of their usefulness.

I knew about the lack of expandability but wasn't aware of the technical issues. They do still look cool though. Thanks.

Grateful11
Date: September 01, 2023 02:26PM
jdc
Grateful11

Really dug my 2010 w 2.93 i7. Speedy. IF I was looking to replace, Id move to at least a 2015, 5K screen, 64 GB of DIY ram and will run up to Monterey.... but not ventura. should last a good while longer.

When I put a 256Gb OWC 3G SSD in my mid 2010 i5 quad it made a night and day difference in the speed. I'm still running 8Gb of RAM but have a new pack of 16Gb's of RAM in 8Gb strips may still put them in to see if it makes much difference. I still have a 21" secondary display and 5 external drives connected to that thing, 3 Firewire, two WD 2Gb FW800's and a very old 320Gb FW400 Acomdata and the darn thing is still going after 16+ years. Two WD USB drives a 8Tb and a 4Tb.

We use mainly for shipping for my wife's eBay store, still have a Radio Shack USB Scale connected to and it's dead accurate with the Post Office scales.

Going got make a Note of the model you recommended for an iMac. My 2010 still has the screen with the faint black mines in it. Just not cost effective to replace the LCD panel.

16 years ago: New External HD, do I need to format it? early Father's Day gift
[forums.macresource.com]

Grateful11
Date: September 01, 2023 09:16PM
Mine was maxed also with a SSD, speedy. Minie is sitting in the garage, it still runs great as well. Ive kept it, but duunno why really, since I have a 2014 iMac as backup if necessary. More RAM will not make it faster.

To me the big bonus moving to a LATE 2015 is the 5K screen, and USB 3 (500 MB/s) = 10X the speed of USB 2 (48 MB/s) -- giving your externals more ooomph.

2015s also can run High Sierra, so if you have maxed out your 2010 to HS, just a simple clone over.

They have Mid 2015s at our lovely forum sponsor, starting at $400. Bump to 16/500 @ $500. Not awful, not great, LATE 2015s are a step up.

my local craigslist has a couple of bottom level late 2015s -- $325 and up..

Posted by: iaJim
Date: September 01, 2023 11:01PM
My problem with it is that it has to sit on your desk top because you need to reach the switch. They put all of the hookups on the same side as the switch, so there is always a wire mess to look at. It is supposed to be this beautiful thing, and it is, but the wire mess makes it much less so. Oh, and it isn't a speed demon today.
Date: September 02, 2023 02:39AM
Do people turn off their macs? maybe a poll.

Since there are no updates for my mac, I don't think I have turned mine off in... 6 months? more?

Date: September 02, 2023 11:17AM
iaJim
My problem with it is that it has to sit on your desk top because you need to reach the switch.

I don't need to see the switch to press it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 374
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020