The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
what guitar is Mick playing?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 04, 2023 09:37AM
[www.youtube.com]

Is that a 335 or something else.?
Note: Bruce Gary, formerly drummer for the Knack playing Tony Williams. Pretty cool.
And young Carla Bley.

!#$@@$#!

composed with both pinkie toes

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: what guitar is Mick playing?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 04, 2023 09:47AM
[reverb.com]

Hurts like a bastid...
Date: September 04, 2023 09:53AM
yeow!
a bargain at twice the price.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: DP
Date: September 04, 2023 09:59AM
mrbigstuff
[reverb.com]

They charge you for shipping?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria
Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 04, 2023 03:49PM
Looks to be a Gibson ES-355TDSV with ebony fretboard. Look at the split diamond headstock to see the difference from the 335 and 345 markers. Also if you go to 6:31 in the video you'll see the round Varitone dial near the bridge.

[reverb.com]

JoeM
Date: September 04, 2023 04:37PM
even cheaper at twice the price.!

Not that I know that much about the physicality of electric guitars, I understood, back in the day, when the guitarist in the band went looking for a good, current model (1975?), Tele.

I get it on a solid body, but not so much on a semi or hollow like the 335.
Generally, wouldn't a current $3500 335 be reasonably close in tone to a "vintage" $12,500, 55 year old?

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: hal
Date: September 04, 2023 05:52PM
Since I've started playing guitar (and attempting to buy guitars), I stare endlessly at old pics and vids of guitar players and their instruments. Generally, everything that pros were playing in the 70s were incredibly beautiful instruments. Then I go to see how much something like would cost now (even current versions) and it's insane.

[edit] here's Derek Trucks doing amazing things with a 1965 335 [www.youtube.com] - the guitar: [www.groundguitar.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2023 05:57PM by hal.
Date: September 04, 2023 06:37PM
Derek Trucks is an amazing player for sure.
And his wife is a great singer and that band doesn't suck nuther.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 04, 2023 10:05PM
Fritz
even cheaper at twice the price.!

Not that I know that much about the physicality of electric guitars, I understood, back in the day, when the guitarist in the band went looking for a good, current model (1975?), Tele.

I get it on a solid body, but not so much on a semi or hollow like the 335.
Generally, wouldn't a current $3500 335 be reasonably close in tone to a "vintage" $12,500, 55 year old?

Actually many CBS Fenders from the 70s were lousy. When I worked on 48th St in the early 70s I got to play dozens of them in the course of selling/buying and setting them up. Late 50s were the holy grail, early to mid 60s were drool worthy and late 60s early CBS instruments were still excellent as there were many with Pre CBS parts and wiring. CBS hadn’t had time to start ruining things yet. In the 70s they really went downhill. I have a laugh looking at what these Fenders sell for now. Also you couldn’t give a Jaguar or Jazzmaster away in those days. Those were Surf music guitars and no rockers player them until they became the rage with the punks and hipsters who didn’t want to go near a Tele or strat.

Gibson went through the same thing when Norlin bought them in 69. The quality slowly but gradually declined. As far as a $3500 instrument sounding close to vintage instruments, there are videos on YouTube where they compare Squiers to American made to Custom Shop and to Vintage instruments. You might be surprised to see how little they differ.

JoeM
Date: September 04, 2023 11:34PM
"You might be surprised to see how little they differ."

kind of what I was thinking.

!#$@@$#!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020