advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
go together like a horse & carriage?!.....Spectrum / Disney carriage dispute resolved [ just in time ] but at a price.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 11, 2023 09:28PM
......resolved just in time for Monday Night Football.......but these channels will no longer be available on Spectrum..........Freeform, FXX, Disney Junior, Disney XD, FXM, Baby TV, Nat Geo Wild and Nat Geo Mundo........

.....however, the ad-supported Disney+ Basic will be provided to Spectrum customers who purchase the Spectrum TV Select package, and ESPN+ will be provided to Spectrum TV Select Plus subscribers.....

Spectrum, ESPN Update: Charter and Disney Resolve Dispute Ahead of Monday Night Football Kickoff

.....Charter Communications and The Walt Disney Company — with just hours left until the Monday Night Football season kickoff on ESPN and ABC — have resolved the 10-day-long dispute that left 15 million Spectrum cable subscribers without ESPN, FX and other Disney-owned channels.

As part of the multi-year agreement, a “more curated” package of Disney networks and stations will be immediately restored to Spectrum’s video customers, says a Walt Disney Company press release.

Networks that will no longer be included in Spectrum TV packages, however, are Freeform, FXX, Disney Junior, Disney XD, FXM, Baby TV, Nat Geo Wild and Nat Geo Mundo.

Among the deal points, the ad-supported Disney+ Basic will be provided to Spectrum customers who purchase the Spectrum TV Select package, and ESPN+ will be provided to Spectrum TV Select Plus subscribers.

Charter will be providing a prorated credit for Disney content that was unavailable during the carriage dispute to eligible Spectrum TV customers who had not received a credit already.

CNBC and the Wall Street Journal were first to report on the new deal.

All told, 18 Disney-owned networks, plus local ABC stations in several major markets, went black for Spectrum customers on Sept. 1. “We respect the quality video products that The Walt Disney Company produces,” Charter said at the time in a statement. “But the current video ecosystem is broken…. This is not a typical carriage dispute.”

Charter, the second-largest cable operator in the U.S., contended that as companies such as Disney put more focus and resources into streaming platforms/content, the value of their linear channels/product has vastly declined. And as more and more TV consumers “cut the cord” and defect to streaming, that leaves those who don’t to foot higher bills for packages that are stuffed with channels they don’t necessarily want.

Plus, Charter argued, those increased carriage rates are helping companies like Disney develop and beef up their — you guessed it — streaming product.

Charter had offered to accept The Walt Disney Company’s “market” carriage rates provided that it gave Spectrum cable subscribers, for free, access to ad-supported Disney+ and other Disney-owned streaming products. Disney declined, saying in a Sept. 1 statement that “Disney Entertainment has successful deals in place with pay TV providers of all types and sizes across the country, and the rates and terms we are seeking in this renewal are driven by the marketplace. We’re committed to reaching a mutually agreed upon resolution with Charter and we urge them to work with us to minimize the disruption to their customers.”......

........love & marriage.......................?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2023 09:41PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: go together like a horse & carriage?!.....Spectrum / Disney carriage dispute resolved but at a price.....
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 11, 2023 09:35PM
I suspect Charter will have lost (and will continue to lose) a large numbers of subscribers this month. This episode gave people a reason to look at alternatives, people who were satisfied and weren't looking to change. They discovered that streaming services like Hulu Live, Youtube, etc, could give them a nearly identical channel lineup at half the price.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Re: go together like a horse & carriage?!.....Spectrum / Disney carriage dispute resolved but at a price.....
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 11, 2023 09:35PM
I'll potentially "miss" FXX and FXM. In reality, I'll probably forget about them. I think I only watched them when I wanted something on in the background.

If there's an upgrade path to no ads Disney+, I'll be "happy". If I have to pay full price to get no ads, I'll be bummed.

I wish I could opt out of ESPN and save $10 or so a month.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 11, 2023 09:42PM
Ombligo
They discovered that streaming services like Hulu Live, Youtube, etc, could give them a nearly identical channel lineup at half the price.

It used to be "half the price" but that's no more. Streaming TV is almost at cable prices now.

For example, Hulu Live TV is going to be $76 in October. Spectrum TV Select (in my area) is $85 per month. (Although there appear to be newer packages: Signature for $80 or Plus for $90). And those are rate card rates for Spectrum, so people might be on intro or bundled promotions. Which means if you cancel TV, your internet rate might go up and wash out any savings.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 11, 2023 10:37PM
Ombligo
I suspect Charter will have lost (and will continue to lose) a large numbers of subscribers this month. This episode gave people a reason to look at alternatives, people who were satisfied and weren't looking to change. They discovered that streaming services like Hulu Live, Youtube, etc, could give them a nearly identical channel lineup at half the price.

They'll just increate broadband rates.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 158
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020