advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anybody planning to get an iPhone 15?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 12, 2023 06:43PM
I'm currently using an 8 Plus, and it's starting to sputter, so I'm going to get a 15.

I'm leaning towards the 15 Pro with 256GB storage-I figure if I start taking 48MP pictures, I may need it. And I've got 256GB right now.

So the 15 Pro is smaller than the 8 Plus, and still has a larger screen--the 8 Plus has always felt kind of lumpy in my pocket. The 15 Pro Max has the 120mm tele lens, which is appealing-it could be good for portraits, which are one of my favorite photographic genres. And for 256GB, it's only $100 more than 15 Pro.

The slower data transfer rates on the plain 15, and the older chip, provide a lot less value for me, so I'm unlikely to get them.

I wonder how the cameras compare between the plain 15 and the Pro....

With luck, either this weekend or next, I'll be able to see them in person in the Apple Store, and find out how they feel in my pocket.

Anybody else have any iPhone 15 plans?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anybody planning to get an iPhone 15?
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 12, 2023 07:11PM
we are on V12, wife and daughters have texted me their orders.

both kids need more storage, even after purging a ton of stuff, but their phones are full of images and texts and offline music.

since we are ATT unlimited, they will just be cost of tax after trade in. I always call and get the activation fee wavied.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 12, 2023 07:18PM
Keep in mind that the Pro Max is even bigger than the 8 Plus, and heavier, but at least the 15 Pro's got a slight weight reduction from the 12/13/14 Pro series.

I'd normally be in the market for an upgrade now, but the 12 Pro Max is chugging along just fine still. If the 14 Pro Max's take a decent price cut on the used market, I might just pick up one of those instead (partly because I don't want to deal with a mix of lightning and USB-C between my wife's and my phone).
Posted by: polychrome
Date: September 12, 2023 07:55PM
I’m getting the 15 Pro Max, upgrading from the 13 Pro Max.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: September 12, 2023 08:13PM
I'll probably get a Pro Max when I see a decent discount. 1TB storage is $1600. (Yikes!)

Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 12, 2023 08:27PM
I really want one.
My iPhone 11 seems to be just fine. I replaced the battery last year, so it should be good for another year.

I really do want a superzoom camera I keep telling myself I don't need.

My 5.1 system is about 18 years old. Sometimes just shuts off by itself. Want a Dolby Atmos Soundbar system.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 12, 2023 08:34PM
anonymouse1
I'm currently using an 8 Plus, and it's starting to sputter, so I'm going to get a 15.

I'm leaning towards the 15 Pro with 256GB storage-I figure if I start taking 48MP pictures, I may need it. And I've got 256GB right now.

So the 15 Pro is smaller than the 8 Plus, and still has a larger screen--the 8 Plus has always felt kind of lumpy in my pocket. The 15 Pro Max has the 120mm tele lens, which is appealing-it could be good for portraits, which are one of my favorite photographic genres. And for 256GB, it's only $100 more than 15 Pro.

I made a similar jump to the 13 Pro. I think you'll be very happy.

I'm half tempted to get a 15 Pro for USB-C, but I'm likely too much of a cheapskate to do that. Oh, the improve AirTag tracking is very nice too.

---

Actually, looks like I could get about $700 for my phone, a new one would cost $400 more. At that rate my 13 Pro has cost me about $19/month which isn't bad. I also like the payment plan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2023 08:59PM by mattkime.
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 12, 2023 08:37PM
I’m eyeing an iPhone 13 Pro on the refurb store.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 12, 2023 08:44PM
I don't quite understand using titanium, it's about 70% heavier than aluminum for one thing and it's more difficult to obtain and machine. Also the majority of people don't keep a phone long enough to take advantage of the durability of titanium over aluminum.

Grateful11
Date: September 12, 2023 08:56PM
mattkime
I made a similar jump to the 13 Pro. I think you'll be very happy.

I'm half tempted to get a 15 Pro for USB-C, but I'm likely too much of a cheapskate to do that.

almost all carriers have trade in, right? Pro models get $1000 credit = just pay tax/activation?

I don't plan on upgrading my 12 mini yet. ATT website says the 13 mini not eligible for trade in discounts... so full A$600 price.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 12, 2023 09:46PM
jdc
almost all carriers have trade in, right? Pro models get $1000 credit = just pay tax/activation?

No, only the big three (AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon), where you pay a ton more for the plan.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: September 12, 2023 09:47PM
Grateful11
I don't quite understand using titanium, it's about 70% heavier than aluminum for one thing and it's more difficult to obtain and machine. Also the majority of people don't keep a phone long enough to take advantage of the durability of titanium over aluminum.

Well, for one thing, Titanium is much better in hotter environments.

Google
Titanium has an extremely high melting point. Titanium has a very high melting point, meaning that it won't liquify until it's reached 3,034 degrees Fahrenheit. In comparison, aluminum reaches its melting point at only 1,221 degrees Fahrenheit.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 12, 2023 10:22PM
TheTominator
Grateful11

Well, for one thing, Titanium is much better in hotter environments.

Google
Titanium has an extremely high melting point. Titanium has a very high melting point, meaning that it won't liquify until it's reached 3,034 degrees Fahrenheit. In comparison, aluminum reaches its melting point at only 1,221 degrees Fahrenheit.

Never seen a iPhone case melt under normal use but aluminum transfers heat much better than titanium.

"Aluminum has a high thermal conductivity of 1460 BTU-in/hr-ft²-°F (210 W/m-K) compared to titanium 118 BTU-in/hr-ft²-°Fm (17.0 W/m-K). This is why it is given preferential treatment when it involves applications including heat exchangers, cookware, and heatsinks."

Grateful11
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 13, 2023 12:05AM
We will upgrade from the 11 Pro 256GB to the 15 Pro 512GB if possible. It sounds like there will be a good rebate for the 11 Pro. The camera is the main draw for me.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 13, 2023 12:59AM
Yep, it's time for me to move up from my iPhone Xs Max.
Date: September 13, 2023 04:37AM
AllGold
jdc

No, only the big three (AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon), where you pay a ton more for the plan.

ATT, we pay $45 a line. Unlimited everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2023 04:38AM by jdc.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 13, 2023 06:35AM
No.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria
Posted by: Sam3
Date: September 13, 2023 06:37AM
Me, possibly. My daughter, almost definitely. She's coming from the 12 Pro Max and wants cinematic mode (she's studying film production in school.) and more storage.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 13, 2023 07:57AM
Well, my iPhone 3 3G stopped working, so I guess it's time...

Seriously, though, I will be downsizing to the 15 Pro from the 13 Pro Max.

Either hand me down to the spousal unit or trade it in.

I used to automatically upgrade the spousal unit, but each time she would complain about having to re-enter passwords and re-download app, etc (she is VERY bad at remembering passwords*).

So I told her she had to specifically request an upgrade (or get it herself). She will probably keep her 11 S Max or whatever it is until it dies. She had an iPhone 6 as a work phone. Never asked for an upgrade. One day, she had an issue with it and called the help desk, and they were like, "Yeah, you need a new phone." Now she has a nice iPhone 14 for work.

* I set the Netflix password to her maiden name plus the PIN she has used for EVERYTHING for decades. She still asks me what it is from time to time. Seriously?
Posted by: maco
Date: September 13, 2023 08:53AM
It's tempting, I'm still using a 7 Plus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2023 08:54AM by maco.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 13, 2023 09:24AM
Lux Interior
* I set the Netflix password to her maiden name plus the PIN she has used for EVERYTHING for decades. She still asks me what it is from time to time. Seriously?

well, now we all know her password is Interior1234

(train her to use a password manager)

Posted by: rz
Date: September 13, 2023 09:41AM
I replaced my 6s when the 13 came out. So, I'll probably wait until the iPhone 20 comes out to replace my 13 Pro Max
Posted by: decay
Date: September 13, 2023 10:48AM
12 mini purchased in 2021 (on T-Mo), battery down to 85%, which is my biggest complaint about it.

Considering a 14 since the price dropped and I only need 128 GB.

---
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 13, 2023 11:25AM
I'm still using my 7. I might consider a refurb 14 if the 7 starts to show signs of impending death.

I really strongly prefer the idea of Touch ID. I keep my mask on when I'm in indoor settings with lots of human emissions, such as stores, elevators, and the transit system. So Face ID won't cut it for me in those locations. And I don't want to be constantly entering my PIN in crowded situations. Thefts by miscreants who have seen and memorized PINs are on the rise, and a royal pain since they can lock you out once they have your phone.

Everything else about the newer phones is desirable. I love the clarity of the screen on the 14. I just wish they'd figure out a way to restore Touch ID.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Date: September 13, 2023 11:39AM
ka jowct
So Face ID won't cut it for me in those locations. And I don't want to be constantly entering my PIN in crowded situations.

You can train Face ID to recognize you in a mask and a I believe a few pairs of glasses (i.e. if you have different glasses for indoors, outdoors, reading).

(Although it would be nice if they put in the power button Touch ID that the iPad mini has).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2023 11:40AM by Gareth.
Posted by: clay
Date: September 13, 2023 12:15PM
my XS has gotten to 80% battery capacity after just shy of 3 years with it (it was sealed/new when I bought it, but probably sat on the shelf for 2+ years before I got it). I have been toying with the idea of getting a new one for a while now. Wish they would have kept the mini, but I understand why they didn't.

Will probably get a base model 15 if I find an unlocked one for a decent price at some point in the next year.
Date: September 13, 2023 01:20PM
TMo has the 14 for $830, less a $350 credit to trade in my 12 mini.
Apple offers $200 for the mini.

---
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 13, 2023 03:42PM
Ti is lighter than the stainless steel used in the 14 lineup.

It's a lot more durable than aluminum.

It resists denting and scratching really well.

I wonder if it can be thinner than stainless or aluminum while being as strong or stronger, and allow for a bigger battery.

Anyway, if I didn't abhor the larger sized 'Phones, I'd get a 15, maybe even a 15 Pro (no Max, no way) for that zoom camera.

And I really like the high capacity storage (well, 256G anyway) and 4K/60fps video.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Wags
Date: September 13, 2023 09:40PM
I have an 11Pro. Bought it primarily for the camera. Still pretty happy with it. It’s been a solid device, still holds a good charge. I’d need a good wow factor to justify dropping another $1k. What’s ya’ll’s opinion? Big enough change, especially the camera?
Date: September 13, 2023 10:06PM
Wags
I have an 11Pro. Bought it primarily for the camera. Still pretty happy with it. It’s been a solid device, still holds a good charge. I’d need a good wow factor to justify dropping another $1k. What’s ya’ll’s opinion? Big enough change, especially the camera?

that depends on whether or not you are with a carrier. Trade in is $1000?

Date: September 13, 2023 10:09PM
jdc
Wags

that depends on whether or not you are with a carrier. Trade in is $1000?

T-Mobile, don’t think the 11Pro is worth much. Guess I should find out.
Date: September 13, 2023 10:11PM
This guy likes them, in theory at least. Be interesting to see the reactions when they actually start using it.

[youtu.be]
Date: September 14, 2023 11:15AM
Wags
I have an 11Pro. Bought it primarily for the camera. ...Big enough change, especially the camera?

If we're talking the regular Pro, then you're going from:
0.5x (12MP), 1x (12MP), 2x (12MP) to
0.5x (12MP), 1x (48MP), 2x (12MP), 3x (12MP)

And some software tweaks for the high res, low light and portrait photos that won't make it down to the 11 Pro.

Slightly bigger display and ProMotion (I really like this on my iPad Pro).

I think the Pro Max with the 5x telephoto lens is the better upgrade (if that's on the table). For the 11 Pro, I think you could squeeze another year or so out of it, but if you've got the itch, I won't tell you not to scratch!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 14, 2023 09:44PM
mattkime
Lux Interior

well, now we all know her password is Interior1234

(train her to use a password manager)

Dude! MAIDEN name, which would be Biafra if you remember from the DealMac days.
Date: September 15, 2023 11:28AM
decay
TMo has the 14 for $830, less a $350 credit to trade in my 12 mini.
Apple offers $200 for the mini.

Today, T-Mo is offering $650 credit on trade-in because I have the Magenta Max plan.

iPhone 15 (128 GB) would be $13/mo for 24 months - think I may jump

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020