Baseball Is
Posted by: karsen
Date: April 24, 2007 01:06PM
Baseball Is
-------------------------

by Greg Hall ©

Published: ESPN Radio (2000)

Baseball is grass, chalk, and dirt displayed the same yet differently
In every park that has ever heard the words play ball.

Baseball is a passion that bonds and divides all those who know it.

Baseball is a pair of hands stained with newsprint,
A set of eyes squinting to read a boxscore,
A brow creased in an attempt to recreate a three-hour game
From an inch square block of type.

Baseball is the hat I wear to mow the lawn.

Baseball is a simple game of catch
and the never-ending search for the perfect knuckleball.

Baseball is Willie vs Mickey, Gibson vs Koufax, and Buddy Biancalana vs the odds.

Baseball links Kansan and Missourian, American and Japanese,
But most of all father and son.

Baseball is the scent of spring,
The unmistakable sound of a double down the line,
And the face of a 10-year-old emerging from a pile of bodies
With a worthless yet priceless foul ball.

Baseball is a language of very simple words that tell unbelievably magic tales.

Baseball is three brothers in the same uniform on the same team for one brief summer
Captured forever in a black and white photo on a table by the couch.

Baseball is a glove on a shelf, oiled and tightly wrapped,
Slumbering through the stark winter months.

Baseball is a breast pocket bulging with a transistor radio.

Baseball is the reason there are transistor radios.

Baseball is a voice in a box describing men you've never met,
In a place you've never been,
Doing things you'll never have the chance to do.

Baseball is a dream that you never really give up on.

Baseball is precious.

Baseball is timeless.

Baseball is forever.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Baseball Is
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 24, 2007 01:12PM
Baseball is boring.

Posted by: will2000
Date: April 24, 2007 01:13PM
Baseball is a nice game. But don't call it a sport.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 24, 2007 01:17PM
mattkime
Baseball is boring.

beat me too it =)

on TV, golf is more exciting that baseball -- at least they always show something happening, whether it be driving, chipping or putting, theres rarely a break in the action

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: April 24, 2007 01:27PM
Baseball IS "boring," but come playoff time, you can't beat a great, tension-filled pitchers' duel.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: April 24, 2007 01:29PM
jdc
on TV, golf is more exciting that baseball -- at least they always show something happening, whether it be driving, chipping or putting, theres rarely a break in the action

What!? When I want to take a nap during the day, I turn on golf. I had a great nap during the last Masters.

Have any of you actually been to a baseball game? I don't mean at a low market expansion franchise like the Devil Rays or the Rockies (no offense to either team). There's no experience like it, especially at the old parks like Wrigley and Fenway. It doesn't take a winning team. Heck, you can still have fun at the AA and AAA parks.

Buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks!
Posted by: RonT
Date: April 24, 2007 01:37PM
I'd honestly rather watch grass grow as to sit through an entire professional baseball game. Boooooring.

The last game I listened to while a captive at the inlaws house the announcers droned on thusly:

"Allright fans, Fern Caseys, at bat and he generally averages hitting 190 when the sun is in the east and the wind is coming out of the north and the pitcher is a left hander who predominately throws knuckle balls from the inside out. But if the home plate umpire doesn't whisk off home plate before the first pitch then his average goes up to 193.5 . . . etc, etc, etc. ad infinitum. Yak, yak yak, statistic, statistic, statistic.

And then good old "Fern" scratches himself half a dozen times, kicks a 1/4 ton of dirt around, spits a small lake. . . and then, finally after fouling off six or eight balls he, thankfully, finally strikes out.

Sheesh, it's mind numbing. And do baseball fans really give a rats @$$ about all those freekin statistics? Or do they suffice to take the place of action in the mind of the fan?
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: April 24, 2007 01:54PM
I'm amazed at some of the responses here. I thought you lot in the US just loved your baseball. Never seen it myself although we have a similar game over here but it's played by schoolgirls and the interest in that is slightly different.
Date: April 24, 2007 01:55PM

Baseball is timeless.

Baseball is players wasting too much time scratchin' 'n' spittin'. If they did less of that, it would speed the game up.

Baseball is forever.

Between the batter taking practice swings and the pitcher stepping off the mound, a Baseball game takes forever.

:-)

A classic:
[burlingtonbaseball.com]
Date: April 24, 2007 01:56PM
i was at the SF giants game last thursday, good seats, 3rd base side, a few rows up with about 10 other friends -- not a bad game either -- but still a yawner

they dont call it the 7th inning stretch for nuthin =)

oh, and FWIW, peanuts were $6.50 and cracker jack was $5, beer was $8.50 and hot dogs were $7 -- ouch.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 24, 2007 02:00PM
voodoopenguin
I'm amazed at some of the responses here. I thought you lot in the US just loved your baseball. Never seen it myself although we have a similar game over here but it's played by schoolgirls and the interest in that is slightly different.

Be very careful where you look for evidence of typical Americans.

Basketball hasn't ben my favorite sport since I didn't make it past the Freshman team. :-)

One might think the National Pastime is condemning everything not understood.
Date: April 24, 2007 02:03PM
jdc
oh, and FWIW, peanuts were $6.50 and cracker jack was $5, beer was $8.50 and hot dogs were $7 -- ouch.

What, no garlic fries?
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 24, 2007 02:04PM
voodoopenguin

Baseball is a GREAT sport and game. These are just people that aren't crazy about sports. You can't go by them.
Date: April 24, 2007 02:06PM
Seacrest
jdc

What, no garlic fries?

LOL, yeah we had some fries with our garlic as well =)
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 24, 2007 02:09PM
Baseball is GREAT if you call in sick to work and catch a day game at the park on a sunny weekday. Oh,,, and the tickets are free. Indoor "domed" parks are an atrocity.

Like professional wrestling, it's a hoot to watch live and in person grinning smiley
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 24, 2007 02:22PM
I don't think baseball is boring. Basketball, that's boring: back and forth throw the ball it goes in or it doesn't back and forth throw the ball it goes in or it doesn't back and forth throw the ball it goes in or it doesn't back and forth YAWN.

That's why there are different sorts of sports. If one game satisfied everybody then that's all we would need.

Posted by: PodBoy
Date: April 24, 2007 02:25PM
Baseball is THE thinking person's game. It's good for someone who likes to absorb, reflect and strategize, to play "...wonder if" or "what if"... A game where strategic decisions are key and the smallest of statistics become vitally important. Not so good for someone who has a short attention span, needs to see constant action or a body blow a minute.

No offense meant; to those who don't like it, you have your NFL, NBA, WWE, etc... that leaves more room in the stands for us baseball fans to spread out and enjoy a few hours of leisurely pleasure.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: April 24, 2007 02:26PM
Pro Sports is really amazing: grown men paid millions of dollars to play a boys' game.

A huge, huge money-generating industry built around a game.

Yet the "men" who play & get paid so much often behave worse than kids.
Posted by: TLB
Date: April 24, 2007 02:32PM
incognegro
Pro Sports is really amazing: grown men paid millions of dollars to play a boys' game.

That's why I don't go to MLB games any more. I prefer them minors, especially single A. Most of the players have yet to be corrupted, they are in awe that they are paid to play (albeit about $850/month), and they really appreciate the fans--especially the young ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2007 02:33PM by TLB.
Date: April 24, 2007 02:42PM
TLB
incognegro

That's why I don't go to MLB games any more. I prefer them minors, especially single A. Most of the players have yet to be corrupted, they are in awe that they are paid to play (albeit about $850/month), and they really appreciate the fans--especially the young ones.

The vast majority of players do not create a bit of trouble, are humble and are passionate about playing the game. Especially baseball players that typically spend up to a decade in the Minor Leagues. You can't let the media define atheletes. Gotta use your own mind.
Posted by: Jem
Date: April 24, 2007 02:53PM
I agree with $tevie and PodBoy.

Baseball is not boring. It just isn't for everyone.

The strategic nature of pitting certain resources against the opposing teams resources can make it very interesting. The statistics are a tool for gauging the risk and reward of using different players in different situations... or even saving them for a later game... in effect making it not about just a single game, but an ongoing season.

Golf is hard for me to watch (though I enjoy playing) becasue it is very difficult to get a true sense of what is going on with each shot. You'd really have to *be there* to appreciate what they are doing.

I don't "get" basketball as a spectator sport either, for the reasons $tevie gave.

I didn't used to "get" football either, but for the same reason I like baseball I have come to appreciate football. It can be a very strategic, thinking game at a certain level... and that is what makes it interesting to me... the tactical deployment of resources, not just the hard hits.

Each to their own I guess.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 24, 2007 03:00PM
consuming way too much TV time away from the normal schedule. What's it take to play a game nowadays, 3hrs?

Grateful11
Posted by: comaplate
Date: April 24, 2007 03:02PM
Baseball is great.

Besides, everyone knows Fenway Park is Boston's biggest bar... Watch a game, have a Fenway frank, and get retahded off of $7 beers (stereotypes of Boston baseball fans are alive and well at every home game. I regard it as secondary entertainment...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2007 03:03PM by comaplate.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: April 24, 2007 03:05PM
RonT
I'd honestly rather watch grass grow as to sit through an entire professional baseball game.

My point exactly. You're opinion is centered around watching a televised version of the sport. It's completely different when you're in the playing environment.
Date: April 24, 2007 03:09PM
I listen to many games on the radio. But then I grew up on Vin Scully.
Boring? You mean...
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: April 24, 2007 03:24PM
"If they build it, they won't come." (???)
Posted by: Maddog
Date: April 24, 2007 03:27PM
You know, I didn't really like baseball until my son got old enough to play the game. Playing catch with the boy and being able to sit down with him and catch a game on TV is a pleasure. There is so little on TV that is really appropriate these days for an 8 y/o, but baseball gives us common ground and interest. He has started collecting baseball cards (and football too) and is always excited to see a recognizable face on a team. The only really bad thing is that, for some inexplicable reason, he loves the Yankees. He did not get that from me!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 24, 2007 03:32PM
vision63

Which gives me an excuse to post this:
[www.npr.org]
Date: April 24, 2007 03:59PM
[www.veoh.com]

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: Microman
Date: April 24, 2007 04:06PM
I'd rather watch paint try. Been to professional games, and I said the last time, would be my last. Boring , Boring , Boring.

Unless I go to my sons slow pitch softball game, and I know someone that is in the game, it is not fun at all.

I am still surprised that 50,000 people will pay the price and spend the day at Dodgers Staduim
Date: April 24, 2007 04:16PM
Baseball is a beautiful game. Yes, it's filled with stats and numbers but that's one thing that sets it apart from other sports. You can go back in history and compare two teams, from any era and determine with fair accuracy which was better. That's something nearly impossible in other sports.

Boring? I suppose it may seem that way if you aren't familiar with the posturing and positioning that goes on between plays. I think the short pause between pitches is a perfect time to lean in and discuss the previous play with a fellow fan.

Maybe it's different if you didn't play the game, or you grew up in a place that didn't have baseball, like communist Russia.

Maybe you've never been to a game, or heard one called by Vin Scully or Ernie Harwell.

Maybe your father never took the time to teach you how to throw a curve ball, and you don't have the knowledge or desire to pass it on to your son.

Maybe you didn't have the opportunity to go to a game as a kid and see the greenest grass and the bluest sky you've ever seen.

Maybe you've never experienced chatter and the anticipation of the crack of the bat.

I don't know what it's like to not love baseball, and for those of you who do, I feel for you.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 24, 2007 04:23PM
Really, if you think Baseball is boring, play (or watch) Cricket.

Baseball positively crackles with energy and vitality by comparison.

Cricket is, IMHO, a game designed to teach endless patience to Subjects who will have to deal with the Empire's bureacracy.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: April 24, 2007 04:28PM
When I got out of the Army and was going to grad school, I made 79 of 81 games sitting in the centerfield bleachers at Wrigley. One dollar per game. Each game got better. I like the the stats and box scores.

Da Good Life

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2007 04:32PM by spearmint.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: April 24, 2007 04:32PM
I actually find myself wishing baseball games would last longer sometimes. I can appreciate other sports but I love baseball.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: April 24, 2007 04:34PM
(vikm)
I actually find myself wishing baseball games would last longer sometimes. I can appreciate other sports but I love baseball.

You the man.

Da Good Life
Date: April 24, 2007 04:37PM
spearmint
When I got out of the Army and was going to grad school, I made 79 of 81 games sitting in the centerfield bleachers at Wrigley. One dollar per game. Each game got better. I like the the stats and box scores.

That had to be the best. Nothing I can think better in life than that.
Date: April 24, 2007 04:43PM
$tevie
vision63

Which gives me an excuse to post this:
[www.npr.org]

Wow. What a cool thing.
Posted by: will2000
Date: April 24, 2007 04:44PM
karsen
Baseball is a beautiful game. Yes, it's filled with stats and numbers but that's one thing that sets it apart from other sports.

Baseball invented stats because it is so boring
Posted by: Silencio
Date: April 24, 2007 07:28PM
$tevie
I don't think baseball is boring. Basketball, that's boring: back and forth throw the ball it goes in or it doesn't back and forth throw the ball it goes in or it doesn't back and forth throw the ball it goes in or it doesn't back and forth YAWN.

The NBA is boring. College basketball is more interesting -- they play the game like they're actually emotionally involved. The NCAA basketball tournament is the best sporting event of the year IMO, especially the first weekend with all the small schools getting their time in the spotlight and their shot at the big upset.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 24, 2007 08:58PM
I used to be a big baseball fan, liked to watch all of the "home team" games and even played for a few years on our leagues at work. The baseball strike and the greed that all sides displayed ruined it for me. I won't go to a major league game today or watch a game on tv.

I always liked the George Carlin bit Baseball and Football. It seems appropriate for this thread.

[www.youtube.com]

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: comaplate
Date: April 24, 2007 09:14PM
vision63

That would do it. I have the MLB extra innings package and watching a Dodgers game with Scully calling is a total brain-melter.

If you listen to just the audio, he does a masterful job of calling the game - none better out there. If you try and watch the TV, it's almost like something's out of sync - he's calling the game at a completely different pace than the current generation of announcers.
Date: April 24, 2007 10:02PM
comaplate
vision63

That would do it. I have the MLB extra innings package and watching a Dodgers game with Scully calling is a total brain-melter.

If you listen to just the audio, he does a masterful job of calling the game - none better out there. If you try and watch the TV, it's almost like something's out of sync - he's calling the game at a completely different pace than the current generation of announcers.

Yes, Scully (and my favorite, Harwell) know when to pause, and let you take in sounds of the game. The guys the Rays have never shut up.
Date: April 24, 2007 10:30PM
Silencio
$tevie

The NBA is boring. College basketball is more interesting -- they play the game like they're actually emotionally involved. The NCAA basketball tournament is the best sporting event of the year IMO, especially the first weekend with all the small schools getting their time in the spotlight and their shot at the big upset.

I would assume that you'd be a Warriors fan. They're "very" exciting this year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 155
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020