How are our NYC folks doing today?
Posted by: hal
Date: September 29, 2023 10:56AM
Looks like bumper cars

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How are our NYC folks doing today?
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 29, 2023 11:04AM
I wonder how widespread that flooding is.
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 29, 2023 11:05AM
[www.bbc.com]

[amp.cnn.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 29, 2023 11:06AM
Flooding similar to Ida a couple of years ago. Where i live probably have gotten maybe 3.5 inches of rain (that's a lot).

I live up on the glacial moraine, so I wouldn't want to be in the lower areas as the water rushes downhill. I have been listening to the rain heavy on the air conditioner case for at least 16 hours.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 29, 2023 11:08AM
It's an excellent day to test the adequacy of your rain gear. Nearly all of mine flunked. I'm still feeling a bit chilled.

It took an hour and 40 minutes to get home from my second job this morning. Normally it would take about half an hour once I'm on the first bus.

FDR drive is a mess, as is the subway system.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2023 11:13AM by ka jowct.
Date: September 29, 2023 11:21AM
This is affecting and moving northward into Weschester, CT and the Hudson River valley. The sloping land features will concentrate the deluge.

Steadily proceeding into New England as well. Not good.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 29, 2023 11:30AM
Steve G.
This is affecting and moving northward into Weschester, CT and the Hudson River valley. The sloping land features will concentrate the deluge.

Steadily proceeding into New England as well. Not good.

Yep, steady rain here in W. MA near the Vermont border and even heavier rain just south of here.
Date: September 29, 2023 11:49AM
now a state of emergency in NYC

pics and vids and a lot of ?s for the mayor here: [hellgatenyc.com]
Date: September 29, 2023 12:10PM
Latest: about 5 inches of rain around here in Queens.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 29, 2023 12:20PM
…..Noah……arc…..

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 29, 2023 01:11PM
I am supposed to fly up on Tuesday.
I hope you guys have better weather by then.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 29, 2023 03:09PM
Hi everyone,

Nassau County, North Shore of Long Island. Here are some details:

This morning, I’d never seen so much water on the sidewalks by my building. There was so much water, neither I nor Little M could walk on them as we made our way to the school bus. We walked on the grass and, once we reached the sidewalk adjacent to the street, I picked her up and carried her across the sidewalk and planted her into the bus.

My feet were in at least 2" of water both times I passed over the sidewalk. Thank goodness my work shoes have very good waterproofing. That I dosed them with waterproofing spray in addition to it probably helped quite a bit.

The rain itself had let up a bit as I started the drive to my office. Normally, I travel on three highways to get to my warehouse: the Northern Parkway/Grand Central Parkway, the Cross-Island Parkway and the Southern Parkway. I heard there was flooding in various places on the highways and took local roads instead.

The main thoroughfare that runs north-south that I use to get part of the way to work if I take local roads is Lakeville Rood. Two lanes in each direction from the Long Island Expressway until just past Hillside Ave. The right lanes in both directions were flooded to the point that drivers in big honkin' SUVs and trucks were the only ones using it. Most drivers avoided the lanes entirely.

Shortly after I started the drive the rain kicked up multiple notches. Enough so that it was safer to pull over than to keep driving at times. I took advantage of a moment when pulled over to text my operations manager and tell him to stay home. He travels on the Belt Parkway most of the way to work and it's an annoying drive in nice weather. It often floods with just a bit of rain. Today? He'd need a friggin' boat to get to work.

I got to my office without an issue. It just took nearly an hour to get to it.

The rain got _much_ worse after about a half hour at my office and I decided to finish the day at home. It let up somewhat just long enough for me to do the drive. This time, there were far fewer vehicles on the road. Got home in about 305 minutes. The sidewalks were still flooded.

I'm glad I finished the day at home. Now I just have to get Little M from school. It's only a five minute drive. At least the rain has let up for a bit.

Robert
Date: September 29, 2023 03:17PM
sounds like a horrible day Robert M

glad everyone made it home
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 29, 2023 03:41PM
My personal reference point is hurricane sandy. The flooding looks worse from what I can tell.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 29, 2023 04:03PM
Hal,

I've been through worse. Just got home with Little M. No problems at all when it comes to weather issues. Driver and pedestrian problems, yes. Weather problems, no. Nearly got t-boned and sideswiped multiple times. Don't get me started on the ones who ignore stop-signs. That and jaywalkers were causing no end of agita. I'm betting the local town would make a ton of money if they'd ticket for jaywalking! More than enough to make a profit after paying the officers (and their benefits) and court costs (when the @$@#$#@$@ fight the ticket).

Robert
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 29, 2023 04:20PM
from one wag on XTwit...

BREAKING: Eric Adams has authorized the NYPD to shoot at the floodwaters if they refuse to disperse.
Posted by: d4
Date: September 29, 2023 04:42PM
Reminds me of the torrential flooding storm we had in Fall(?) 2021. I remember the news stories of immigrants living in illegal basement apartments in Queens drowning because the water came so fast. The pressure of the water made it impossible for many to open their doors and escape. I've lived in an illegal basement apartment. 7 foot ceilings. A 12-inch "window" at the ceiling for ventilation. Too small to crawl through in an emergency. At the time, I was young, poor, and didn't know better. In hindsight, it was f'n terrifying and insane I lived there.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 29, 2023 05:29PM
[www.wired.com]

Hurts like a bastid...
Date: September 29, 2023 06:31PM
Totals now up to about 7 inches locally in Queens.
Date: September 29, 2023 08:04PM
Steve G.
Totals now up to about 7 inches locally in Queens.

in 24 hours? that's nuts!
Posted by: Cary
Date: September 29, 2023 08:46PM
My drive home from Queens to Long Island took over 2 hours. Weather wasn’t terrible, a little flooding. A lot of people who don’t know how to drive, or care about anyone else on the road.
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 30, 2023 05:16AM
Warnings were issued for Northern NJ as well.

No real flooding in my area, but crummy visibility and slippery shallow muddy puddles at the foot of every hill. I had a doctor appointment, so I got a lot of honking from idiots who still wanted to drive at autobahn speeds.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 206
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020