Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Al Di Meola suffers severe heart attack onstage
Posted by: hal
Date: September 29, 2023 05:05PM
[apnews.com]

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — The award-winning U.S. guitarist Al Di Meola suffered a heart attack during a performance in Romania’s capital but is currently in a stable condition and receiving treatment, a hospital spokesperson said on Thursday.

Di Meola, 69, began playing a concert at a venue in Bucharest at 9 p.m. on Wednesday night.

Dragos Cristescu, a photographer who attended the concert, told The Associated Press that he saw Di Meola clasp his chest during the performance and that the guitarist struggled to walk off stage. The other two members of Di Meola’s trio continued to play for several minutes until they announced the show would be cut short.

In a statement, the Bagdasar-Arseni emergency hospital said Di Meola was admitted to a cardiology ward where he is being treated for a segment elevation myocardial infarction, or STEMI.

yikes!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Al Di Meola suffers severe heart attack onstage
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 29, 2023 05:17PM
Facing a medical emergency, there are worse places to be than Romania - just not many.
Date: September 29, 2023 05:29PM
I t would certainly make me rethink a world tour...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 29, 2023 05:39PM
Di Meola has been touring almost non stop for a year and a half, if not longer. I read a statement that he's recovering but had cancelled the rest of the year shows.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Wags
Date: September 29, 2023 06:29PM
Sorry to hear this. Touring is the only way to make money these days. Lots of pressure to stay out there. Hope he gets good care and keeps giving us such great music.
Posted by: gadje
Date: September 29, 2023 06:50PM
RgrF
Facing a medical emergency, there are worse places to be than Romania - just not many.

Actually they have excellent doctors. The medical system as a whole is not on par to US, but there are good hospitals and excellent doctors. They have good medical schools, I know doctors here in the US were trained there.
Posted by: Smote
Date: September 29, 2023 07:01PM
Wags
Sorry to hear this. Touring is the only way to make money these days. Lots of pressure to stay out there. Hope he gets good care and keeps giving us such great music.

I heard that its the touring merch and tickets are where they make their money. The recording deal in and of itself isn't very lucrative. At some point, near the end, selling of the rights to your catalog can be lucrative, and many end up doing that.

"Defending your own life when in immediate danger to me is a basic right of each person. " Lemon Drop 11/17/2023 03:10 pm

Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008) Private citizens have the right under the Second Amendment to possess an ordinary type of weapon and use it for lawful, historically established situations such as self-defense in a home, even when there is no relationship to a local militia.

"The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner." Right to Keep and Bear Arms: Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-seventh Congress, Second Session. U.S. Government Printing Office. 1982. Digitized September 30, 2008.

From the NYSRPA v Bruen "Today, we decline to adopt that two-part approach. . . . Despite the popularity of this two-step approach, it is one step too many. Step one of the predominant framework is broadly consistent with Heller, which demands a test rooted in the Second Amendment's text, as informed by history."
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 29, 2023 07:44PM
gadje
RgrF

Actually they have excellent doctors. The medical system as a whole is not on par to US, but there are good hospitals and excellent doctors. They have good medical schools, I know doctors here in the US were trained there.
Did some look up before posting and by most accounts Romania has the worst health care in Europe. That's not a reflection on Romanian people, it's a government run system.
Posted by: gadje
Date: September 29, 2023 08:48PM
RgrF
gadje
RgrF

Did some look up before posting and by most accounts Romania has the worst health care in Europe. That's not a reflection on Romanian people, it's a government run system.

He most likely was admitted to one of the best hospitals in Bucharest.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 29, 2023 10:25PM
Been a long time since this. I'm sure their health care system has come a long way...

The staccato flickering of the fluorescent lights overhead cast shadows on the barren walls, revealing the angular bodies of children in rows of metal cribs. Babies tightly swaddled in tattered blankets lie intermixed with toddlers subdued by cloth restraints binding an arm or leg to the bars of the crib. In the corner of the room is a nurse left alone to care for these abandoned children. She looks barely old enough to be out of high school and is overwhelmed by the magnitude of the children's suffering. Because she knows that they are malnourished and severely anemic, she decides to inject each baby with a “microinfusion” of whole blood every day. The blood has not been screened, and she has only 1 syringe, which she uses on each child as she circles the room. Around the country, this standard practice purported to “boost immunity” ironically left a generation of children with the ultimate immunodeficiency – HIV – and so begins the complex story of the Romanian AIDS epidemic, in which 94% of initial cases were in children under age 13.[1]

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 30, 2023 11:08AM
He’s already doing much better . He posted this 18 hrs ago on FB:

“As it turns out, it’s World Heart Day today (Sept 29) and I want to specifically thank the Doctors and Nurses at Bagdasar Arseni Hospital in Bucharest/Romania for getting me back on track! I‘ll be forever grateful ”

JoeM
Date: September 30, 2023 11:25AM
yay!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020