advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need some advice from the forum green thumbs, please.
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 29, 2023 05:12PM
As mentioned in previous threads, my campari tomato growing experiment was a raging success, and I'd like to repeat it next Spring. The question is, do I somehow save a few of this season's tomatoes I grew, for replanting the exact same way as I did this past Spring, and if so, how exactly do I save them?

Or would I be better off using the same method next year, but using next Spring's tomatoes from the supermarket?

I suppose I could try both, but the question remains, how do I preserve these tomatoes (or just seeds?) from this year's batch?

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need some advice from the forum green thumbs, please.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 29, 2023 06:11PM
Seeds are designed to sprout the next year after the tomato rots. Seeds for some plants do best after a trip through a digestion cycle.

Let a tomato on the best producing plant ripen completely. Cut it open, remove the seeds, rub/wipe off the gel around them, put on a paper towel to dry. When dry, put in a moisture resistant/proof container like a pill bottle and keep in a cool, dry location. Seeds from bulk producers might be conditioned in some form to sprout faster, even weighed and sorted to send out the most likely to grow. Plant like before, maybe a few days earlier than if you bought seeds from a commercial source. You should get 75% to 80% success.

They may not exactly resemble what you grew the year before if the flower that was pollinated with a different breed. That might be a reason to use seeds from one you buy at the store. Veggies grown on a big field of all the same type will more likely give you the same. A perfectionist would cover a flower before the end of the season and process it along the lines of:
https: //tgrc.ucdavis.edu/pollinating

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: September 29, 2023 06:56PM
Excellent info, Filliam. Thank you. Although that pollination link you provided seems like way more work than I want to deal with. smiling smiley

This may well lead to a bit of an experiment. How crazy would it be to freeze one of these current, ripe tomatoes, then just thaw it out in the Spring and slice it up the same way I did this past year? In addition, I can try your way of cutting and removing and drying the seeds from one or two. And I can also try it with a fresh one next year. The way I see it, I don't have much to lose. Worst case, none of them produce.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: September 29, 2023 07:12PM
I save seeds like crazy. I would not freeze anything I wanted to plant, unless it was a plant that required cold stratification. Some people let the gel ferment before drying.

I just let the tomato seeds dry thoroughly and save them in a cool, dry place. I have great luck germinating this way. If you grew other types of tomatoes, they may not breed true, but I think you’re starting from a hybrid in the first place.
Date: September 30, 2023 07:02AM
Thanks. Might as well save a bunch of seeds. The don't take up a lot of space. smiling smiley
Posted by: Black
Date: September 30, 2023 10:52AM
RecipeForDisaster
I have great luck germinating this way. If you grew other types of tomatoes, they may not breed true, but I think you’re starting from a hybrid in the first place.
Good point, web search suggests particularly true for Campari.
Date: September 30, 2023 04:25PM
Thanks. Yeah, I'm pretty sure these were hybrids, but I found a fairly straightforward and relatively simple solution which I just did a few hours ago. Here's hoping it works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020