advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Spotify or Apple Music for offline/downloaded music playback?
Posted by: clay
Date: October 02, 2023 01:24PM
Working an event for a client and they've requested some background music during a dinner. I don't have any streaming music subscriptions. Unless I can find a single album's worth of music to buy and download, I'm thinking a month of a streaming music subscription that allows for download/offline playback will fit the bill for this event.

Any recommendations?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Spotify or Apple Music for offline/downloaded music playback?
Posted by: ArtP
Date: October 02, 2023 01:48PM
I don't think either will allow for download playback -- both are streaming only.

That said and legality aside there are third party apps that allow you to download from streaming services. Usually you can use the FREE subscription with ads and commercials instead of the paid ad free ones

Years ago, a computer nerd buddy of mines had a free Deezer hack that worked in Terminal to download from the streaming site Deezer - worked cool for years until it got patched because it became "too popular".

I was on the search for similar for years and eventually ran across this one (Scroll down - 3rd panel - lossless music conversion)

It is marketed for the Tik Tok crowd to add music to their video clips but the small part that "aquires" the music from the streaming sites is pretty amazing.
Date: October 02, 2023 01:53PM
download as in you can "download" music in the app so that you can play those songs from within the app when you don't have a network connection of any sort (like out in the boonies).

Both Apple Music and Spotify advertise this feature as included.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 02, 2023 02:01PM
yes, they both offer offline download.

my teenagers would say spot is way way way better.

as long as you have net, you can just stream. no commercials with a subscription.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2023 02:17PM by jdc.
Date: October 02, 2023 02:02PM
jdc
yes, they both offer offline download.

my teenagers would say spot is way way way better.

as long as you have net, you can just stream. no commercials as long as you have a subscription.

thanks for that.

I'll probably have a connection, but this event is out in the boonies and I don't want to count on streaming access. Looks like I can do a 1-month trial of Spotify premium, so that should do the trick.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 02, 2023 02:10PM
My concern would be that it wouldn't play downloaded tracks w/o an internet connection to "verify" that you are subscribed.

No idea if this is the case, though. I have downloaded playlists, but I always have an internet connection when I play them.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 02, 2023 02:16PM
Lux Interior
My concern would be that it wouldn't play downloaded tracks w/o an internet connection to "verify" that you are subscribed.

No idea if this is the case, though. I have downloaded playlists, but I always have an internet connection when I play them.

Not a problem, kids do this on flights all the time. Same concept as netflix movie downloads.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 03, 2023 08:33PM
I have Spotify and Apple Music. i think the Apple Music audio quality is better.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: gabester
Date: October 04, 2023 02:16PM
Umm... why not just load the music files into your playlist on your favorite music player? Or is the requested background music not something you have readily available in your music library or are concerned about playback rights to a large group?

g=
Date: October 06, 2023 08:32AM
gabester
Umm... why not just load the music files into your playlist on your favorite music player? Or is the requested background music not something you have readily available in your music library or are concerned about playback rights to a large group?

Because I don't have access to a large CD library/downloads library that is the type of music needed for this event.
Date: October 06, 2023 08:33AM
Post-event report -

I had the Spotify app on my MBP, an iPad and 2 iPhones, downloaded several playlists in the app on each device. Ended up using the MBP and it worked quite well for the event.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020