advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
dead EGO battery - rebuild?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 02, 2023 01:35PM
I've had my first EGO battery failure. Its five years old so well past its warranty. Has anyone tried their luck at rebuilding a battery like this?

I guess I'm wondering if I should keep it or what. Maybe I can sell it on ebay. I have two other batteries so losing this one isn't much of a loss practically speaking.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: dead EGO battery - rebuild?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: October 02, 2023 01:59PM
Most are popular 18650 batteries inside, and you can get them almost anywhere. You would need to solder them, so get them with tabs.
You might check with BatteriesPlus, they may be able to rebuild it.
[www.batteriesplus.com]

If is is a bigger lawnmower battery--it is even easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2023 02:00PM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: gadje
Date: October 02, 2023 02:06PM
There are videos on YouTube about this topic. I also have one that failed. I opened my battery to see what’s inside and try to repair it. I decided not to proceed to the repair. I think it’s too many contacts and wires and something can go wrong.
Posted by: gadje
Date: October 02, 2023 02:07PM
By the way, I think the best way to keep these batteries working is to charge them before using them. Otherwise the self discharge to 30% in about a month. Definitely do not use one that is not fully charged.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 02, 2023 02:11PM
gadje
By the way, I think the best way to keep these batteries working is to charge them before using them. Otherwise the self discharge to 30% in about a month. Definitely do not use one that is not fully charged.

This. On the first day of the season, my son tried to use one that had been sitting, and it flaked out. It would show an error on the charger.

However, I was able to revive it by repeatedly putting it on the charger. It would charge for a brief second before flagging the error, but it was a brief charge. Eventually I got it over the hump. It has been working since. This was not a particularly old or heavily-used battery, it had just been left to discharge over the winter.
Posted by: Z
Date: October 02, 2023 02:57PM
I had one fail at four years in August. Ended up purchasing a new 7.5AH one... though the price stung, especially relative to the cost of fuel for four years of mowing... but much quieter and certainly better for the local air.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 02, 2023 03:14PM
Probably worth a shot given how much a new one will be. I had a Craftsman 19.2v pack I thought about re-doing, but have mostly switched to Ryobi 18v, so it's not really worth it to me.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: October 02, 2023 10:49PM
I did the same thing Acer did, and got a battery that was flashing red to work again. Wish I had known before I purchased a new replacement. Sigh.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 03, 2023 06:09AM
.....Kanye's EGO is so large.....it probably would never die.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 03, 2023 02:21PM
My Greenworks batteries have seen eleven summers, and are still going strong. The fact that they work fine after spending the winter unused makes me wonder if they are LiFePO4, which has a low self-discharge rate.

When they fail, I’ll be taking them to Batteries + or similar for rebuilding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2023 02:22PM by S. Pupp.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020