advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
well, that settles it?!....AstraZeneca to pay $425 million to end U.S. lawsuits over heartburn drugs [ Nexium & Prilosec ].....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 03, 2023 08:57PM
.....Nexium and Prilosec.....can cause chronic kidney disease....no admittance of wrongdoing.....

AstraZeneca to pay $425 million to end US lawsuits over heartburn drugs

....Britain's AstraZeneca has agreed to pay $425 million to settle about 11,000 lawsuits in the United States that claimed its heartburn drugs Nexium and Prilosec caused chronic kidney disease.

AstraZeneca did not admit wrongdoing under the settlement, part of broader litigation against makers of a class of heartburn drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). Its shares dipped 0.4%.

"Today's settlements are a significant victory for the thousands of patients who suffered kidney injuries as a result of using" the drugs, the plaintiffs' attorney Chris Seeger said in a statement.

A single lawsuit is still scheduled to go to trial in April in Louisiana, according to AstraZeneca.

Nexium brought AstraZeneca about $1.3 billion in revenue last year. The company did not report sales figures for Prilosec.

Many lawsuits against makers of PPIs were consolidated in a New Jersey federal court in 2017, while other cases covered by the settlement are in New Jersey and Delaware state courts.

Plaintiffs in the lawsuits allege that PPI use led to kidney damage or failure, and that the companies failed to warn of the risk. The lawsuits include claims over both the prescription versions of the drugs and the lower-dose over-the-counter versions.

Claims remain pending against Abbott Laboratories and Takeda Pharmaceutical over their PPI Prevacid, and against Takeda over its Dexilant drug.

Separate litigation is pending against GSK and other companies over the now-withdrawn heartburn drug Zantac, which plaintiffs say can cause cancer. The company has settled individual cases before trial, but still faces tens of thousands in state courts.

GSK and other companies that have sold Zantac previously won dismissal of some 50,000 cases that were pending in federal court after a judge concluded the claims were not based on sound science.....

.......another medication......with 'side effects'..............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2023 09:06PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: well, that settles it?!....AstraZeneca to pay $425 million to end U.S. lawsuits over heartburn drugs [ Nexium & Prilosec ].....
Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 03, 2023 09:24PM
Sometimes it feels like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Re: well, that settles it?!....AstraZeneca to pay $425 million to end U.S. lawsuits over heartburn drugs [ Nexium & Prilosec ].....
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 03, 2023 11:26PM
We love our drugs here. But don't worry if the drug you are taking for one ailment gives you another ailment - there's a drug for that, too!

Hurts like a bastid...
Re: well, that settles it?!....AstraZeneca to pay $425 million to end U.S. lawsuits over heartburn drugs [ Nexium & Prilosec ]....
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 04, 2023 08:00AM
FWIW, Nexium and its precursor drug Prilosec (both omeprazole) have an interesting history. When Prilosec was first made and patented (circa 1980), it was a mixture of enantiomers. For non-chemistry types, it had a…let’s say…kink in the chemical structure which could either go right or left. Because of corresponding complexities of the human target, drug molecules were active if the kink went left, and inactive if the kink went right. No particular problem with that, as long as you had enough active molecule in the (roughly 50-50) mix.

By the time they were approaching patent expiry in 2017, the company (Astra-Zeneca, I think) found a way to separate the right- and left-handed versions of the (otherwise identical) drug molecule, and they tried to get a new patent on the same (quite profitable) drug, with the inert right-handed stuff pulled out of the mix - what was left became, voila, Nexium, the “purple pill”.

Not an expert on all this, but it looks like the EU said nuh-uh, not a new drug, no new patent protection for you. Don’t know if the US patent conclusion was different. Maybe this settlement was somehow related?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2023 08:03AM by pdq.
Re: well, that settles it?!....AstraZeneca to pay $425 million to end U.S. lawsuits over heartburn drugs [ Nexium & Prilosec ]....
Posted by: Diana
Date: October 04, 2023 11:44AM
This is nothing new. Zyrtec, the allergy drug, is a mix of two enantiomers and has been marketed for long enough it has come off patent. It is otherwise known as cetirizine. Only one of the enantiomers is pharmacologically active. Zyzal is the active form (levocetirizine). I just looked and its generic is also available (didn’t realize that) at 5mg vs the 10mg for Zyrtec (10 mg for the mix, 5 mg for the active compound, assuming a 50/50 enantiomeric production in the final reaction). Zyrtec still is slightly cheaper in price for the same amount for the active ingredient.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 04, 2023 11:44AM
The reason for coming out with Nexium (Esomeprazole) was that most people have an enzyme that will convert the inactive enantiomer to the active form. For those who lacked that enzyme they used to prescribe twice the amount of Prilosec (Omeprazole), the excess inactive enantiomer would be excreted mostly through urine.

The percentage of people who lack the enzyme varies. For example about 2-2.5% of African Americans and whites poorly metabolize the inactive enantiomer, the estimate is that over 20% of those of Asian descent lack it.
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 04, 2023 12:25PM
Unfortunately I am a user so guess I can count on kidney disease later. My heartburn gets unbearable at times. Dr prescribed a stronger form by Rx.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 04, 2023 06:06PM
I take a 40mg Omeprazole every three days and seems to keep things at bay for me.

Grateful11
Posted by: fauch
Date: October 04, 2023 08:16PM
More from the "Safe and Effective" department. Thankfully big pharma does not have blanket immunity for drugs other than vaccines.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 159
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020