advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Refilling/Reconditioning SLA batteries?
Posted by: fauch
Date: October 16, 2023 04:43PM
The battery in my UPS died (as it does every year or two, we have a TON of power failures here) and I bought a new one already but I am seeing some videos on the interwebz about opening them up and refilling them with either distilled water or if it's really bad, sulfuric acid and water. The battery is the correct voltage but goes dead after like 10 seconds of pulling the plug, so it's obviously not taking charge but may not be shorted out.

Has anyone ever done this? Will it actually work for any amount of time after or is it just a waste of time and energy? Obviously there is risk of it leaking after but I never move the UPS so barring a major earthquake I don't really worry about that.

Alternatively has anyone ever successfully desulfated one of these batteries using one of those fancy chargers/reconditioners (I may buy one for my car anyway).

Not really urgent as I bought a new one, I am more wondering for curiosity and as a pet project.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Refilling/Reconditioning SLA batteries?
Posted by: Smote
Date: October 16, 2023 06:15PM
I can't speak to SLA batteries in UPS use, but those quality chargers that have a recondition/desulphate function are incredible. I use those tiny chargers/conditioners on dozens of generator installs to keep the start-up batteries ready to go. I've had them last well over a decade with the proper tenders on them.

They work by pulsing the charge, which "knocks" the lead sulphate off the plates, and eventually it gets reabsorbed as the battery reaches charge.

I'm just guessing here, but if you get one of the smaller ones, about 1 or 2 amps, and run it on a SLA battery as a test, it might bring it back to life in a week or so. And if it doesn't, you still have a good charger/maintainer for your autos. Some have multiple output options. I have a 2/10/15 and another that is a 2/10/20. They are older and have a manual condition cycle that runs for about 20+ hours. Some of the newer ones are like 4 or 5 stage chargers, instead of 3 and a manual condictioner cycle.

Noco seems like a decent manufacturer these days. The battery buddy/battery tender brand is a tried and true manufacturer for outdoor equipment, motorcycles and classic/exotic car storage too.

Now, I have seen in reviews on Amazon that a small percentage of Noco brand are bad out of the box, so getting from Amazon is probably your safest bet. Plenty of time to find out and still be able to return a defective one.

IF this works, you have to post a follow-up.

Most battery UPS devices that people use for their computers and home electronics have horrible and crude charging circuits, and just destroy batteries after a few years. It's just a cost saving measure. I haven't seen any with decent charging circuitry, but I've never seriously investigated.

"Defending your own life when in immediate danger to me is a basic right of each person. " Lemon Drop 11/17/2023 03:10 pm

Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008) Private citizens have the right under the Second Amendment to possess an ordinary type of weapon and use it for lawful, historically established situations such as self-defense in a home, even when there is no relationship to a local militia.

"The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner." Right to Keep and Bear Arms: Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-seventh Congress, Second Session. U.S. Government Printing Office. 1982. Digitized September 30, 2008.

From the NYSRPA v Bruen "Today, we decline to adopt that two-part approach. . . . Despite the popularity of this two-step approach, it is one step too many. Step one of the predominant framework is broadly consistent with Heller, which demands a test rooted in the Second Amendment's text, as informed by history."
Posted by: gadje
Date: October 16, 2023 08:00PM
Battery in my car (Honda Civic) laster over 10 years and I replaced it just because I didn't want to risk getting stuck one day... I'm not sure why UPS only last a few years since the abuse is so much lower than in a car.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 16, 2023 08:08PM
gadje
Battery in my car (Honda Civic) laster over 10 years and I replaced it just because I didn't want to risk getting stuck one day... I'm not sure why UPS only last a few years since the abuse is so much lower than in a car.

lack of air flow?

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Smote
Date: October 16, 2023 08:13PM
constant trickle charge with no off in consumer UPS models, instead of voltage drops below a set-point and it tops it off, or charges it after use, then shuts off again.

I might get around to dissabling the charging portion of a big UPS I have and run a motorcycle 5 stage tender as the charging circuit.

"Defending your own life when in immediate danger to me is a basic right of each person. " Lemon Drop 11/17/2023 03:10 pm

Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008) Private citizens have the right under the Second Amendment to possess an ordinary type of weapon and use it for lawful, historically established situations such as self-defense in a home, even when there is no relationship to a local militia.

"The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner." Right to Keep and Bear Arms: Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-seventh Congress, Second Session. U.S. Government Printing Office. 1982. Digitized September 30, 2008.

From the NYSRPA v Bruen "Today, we decline to adopt that two-part approach. . . . Despite the popularity of this two-step approach, it is one step too many. Step one of the predominant framework is broadly consistent with Heller, which demands a test rooted in the Second Amendment's text, as informed by history."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2023 08:14PM by Smote.
Posted by: fauch
Date: October 17, 2023 09:21AM
gadje

Standard car batteries are NEVER supposed to be completely discharged. And if they are they get ruined pretty quickly as well. Sometimes even in one shot. They have deep cycle batteries that are better at this, but they are far more expensive. APS batteries can potentially get discharged every time the power goes out.

I can't even imagine getting 10 years out of a modern car battery. I am exuberant if I even get 4 or 5...
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 17, 2023 06:18PM
switch to LFP instead.

they are reasonably priced in the ~7ah standard UPS battery size.

when my SmartUPS needs new batteries that's what I'll be doing.

or buying a large LFP-based "generator" with UPS feature.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2023 06:19PM by Bill in NC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020