advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
monitors for the digital nomad?
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: October 16, 2023 08:29PM
Attracted by the low cost of lodgings, I’m kind of thinking of trying the digital nomad lifestyle in March, doing three weeks in Buenos Aires and maybe a couple more in Santiago de Chile. I’ll take along my “work” Mini, as I do when I visit my sister in Texas for a few weeks each year. But my work is drawing maps, meaning I like two 1920 x 1080 displays, one landscape and one portrait (for palettes). I’m thinking about the best way to achieve that at low cost and bother. The studio apartments I’ll rent probably will have a TV with HDMI input, and probably I can figure out how to remove it from the wall and flip it vertically. I have a pretty lightweight LCD monitor that I could put in my rolling bag, I guess. (I like to travel pretty light, but I may need to take two bags for an extended stay like this.) .

I’ve been thinking about other options, though: buying a cheap used monitor once I’m there; one of the mini projectors I see on Dealnews, one of the new folding travel monitors. Thoughts?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: monitors for the digital nomad?
Posted by: gadje
Date: October 16, 2023 08:56PM
Laptop? then you only need a second monitor, i.e. the TV.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: October 16, 2023 09:16PM
Laptop doesn't have the client files, the data, the software I might need to use for serious work. Screen is too small and low; keyboard too cramped. I do take my MBA on all trips to keep a journal, surf the web, check email, and—if I have to—remote desktop to my desktop at home. But this would be a trip where I'd be doing real work at least part of most days.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: October 16, 2023 09:30PM
Rent monitors?

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 16, 2023 09:51PM
iPads can be used as a second monitor too.

There are 4k 15" monitors too
[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 16, 2023 10:23PM
12.9" iPad Pro and use Sidecar.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 16, 2023 11:14PM
Mr Downtown
Laptop doesn't have the client files, the data, the software I might need to use for serious work. Screen is too small and low; keyboard too cramped.

Get a bigger laptop? Get a laptop stand to raise the screen. You're presumably also bringing along a keyboard and a mouse anyway.

What is an "ok" monitor size? They make "portable" screens up about 18.5" inches. Of course, the problem with portable screens is getting them up to an acceptable height also, but you could bring a stand or put them on a box or something. Some of them do have VESA mounts, so you could bring a VESA stand, but that's more stuff.

ASUS even has a 24" "portable" monitor. [www.amazon.com]

And there's the 27" LG "Suitcase" screen: [www.lg.com]

For the 14/16" MBP, there's the premium "triple" display option, Monduo: [www.monduo.co]

I wouldn't count on being able to flip a provided TV to portrait mode. Wouldn't it be easier to use it as your main display and use a 2nd monitor as the portrait monitor?

In the past, I've traveled with a laptop + 2 portable screen and various stands to raise it all up, plus keyboard and mouse. I think my next iteration will be to use some sort of monitor clip for the side monitors (plus maybe a more compact stand to take some of the weight).
[tenonedesign.com] (Probably the original version)
[www.elecrow.com] (Probably the cheap imitation)

At least by keeping everything "laptop" sized, you can throw the portable monitor(s) in a laptop case, inside a rolling carry-on, so you don't have to worry about rough handling and breakage in a checked bag.

I think the mini projectors will probably be too dim to be useful and may not be easy to setup where you want it.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 16, 2023 11:26PM
24" 1080 screens are small, so I could see how one would easily fit in a carry-on. Or $100 locally.

Mini to TV, 24" screen for pallets. Dunno why you might try to flip a big 60" TV...

Wireless keyboard and mouse... so 4 cables total. mini Power, monitor Power, HDMI to HDMI and USBC to HDMI... seems compact for travel.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020