advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
‘ Mazda’s DMCA takedown kills a hobbyist’s smart car API tool ‘
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 17, 2023 11:37PM
“ Reverse engineering for interoperability, such as exposing the Mazda app's particulars to Home Assistant, could be considered a fair use exception to the DMCA, as explained by the Electronic Frontier Foundation. And while the Supreme Court declined to rule on whether APIs are subject to copyright, it ruled in Oracle v. Google in 2021 that, depending on certain factors, re-implementation of an API, particularly for the purpose of connecting and extending products, is protected under fair use. “

[arstechnica.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ‘ Mazda’s DMCA takedown kills a hobbyist’s smart car API tool ‘
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: October 18, 2023 05:49AM
That is seriously short sighted of them considering Volkswagon and Tesla opened theirs to third parties.

I seriously doubt Mazda is planning their own expandability of the app.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2023 05:50AM by Lizabeth.
Re: ‘ Mazda’s DMCA takedown kills a hobbyist’s smart car API tool ‘
Posted by: gadje
Date: October 18, 2023 06:21AM
This seems to stupid. I could understand this if Mazda had some material loss because of this software. But they don't. In fact quite the opposite. Now some people may be less attracted to Mazda if they cannot make these integrations and could probably look at buying other brands more open to such integrations.

My guess is that some lawyer who has no clue about software took this action. Stupid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 245
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020