advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Selling Apple items - is shipping to buyers on Facebook Marketplace stupid?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 18, 2023 07:54PM
I just listed my MacBook Pro and I instantly get a bunch of FB marketplace messages asking me if Im willing to ship. Apparently I don't have the seller history to properly ship via Facebook Marketplace, so this would be done via paypal, at least I suspect.

Anyway, I suspect these are scammers. "I'll buy at asking price and pay for shipping!" Sure thing buddy!

Still, I don't know what the scam is. I suspect its revoking payment or claiming the item wasn't sent. Its been a while since I've had items of value to sell, certainly nothing since eBay has taken such a strong buyer stance.

What should I be doing to protect myself?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Selling Apple items - is shipping to buyers on Facebook Marketplace stupid?
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: October 18, 2023 08:08PM
I do in person sales only on FB marketplace.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us." Justice Robert Jackson
Posted by: rz
Date: October 18, 2023 08:35PM
Yes, very stupid.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 18, 2023 09:25PM
rz
Yes, very stupid.

There are descriptive words beyond "stupid", and yes they apply to shipping items for FB Marketplace sales.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 19, 2023 03:02AM
The last time I tried to sell some stuff (not too recently), I discovered all the scammers had abandoned Craigslist and moved to FB Marketplace.

BTW, the scam is they won't pay by Paypal with shipping to a verified address, but will want to use a payment method that they can fake and/or revoke the payment.
Date: October 19, 2023 07:10AM
They all want to ship to Doral, FL

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 19, 2023 12:30PM
Ask them to meet you in the Doral PD parking lot to complete the sale. smiley-laughing001
Posted by: davec
Date: October 19, 2023 08:48PM
On a somewhat similar scenario, my late dad, when he was still living some 13 hours away, was contacted by a lowlife who claimed he had won a sweepstakes. In spite of my insistence that it was a scam my dad insisted it was legitimate. “All I (he) would have to do is prepay the taxes and a ‘processing fee’”. In a moment of insight I suggested that when the scum bucket called back to ask him for a meeting in the parking lot of the local PD. If it was legitimate (as my dad insisted) the person would have no issues meeting him there. My dad agreed. My dad called back no more than 30 minutes later to say that when he proposed meeting at the PD the man promptly hung up on my dad. My dad thanked me and acknowledged that my suspicions had been confirmed.

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Date: October 20, 2023 06:14PM
Sold to a human via Facebook marketplace. In person cash transaction for asking price. I’m much happier than I expected to be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 176
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020