advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recording of a national anthem in a public setting
Posted by: abevilac
Date: October 18, 2023 09:00PM
I was visiting Wales recently and stumbled upon a political rally. It was for Welsh independence from the UK. There were many flags flying and very passionate speakers. At the end, the entire crowd started singing what I guess would be the national anthem if they ever get independence. I recorded it as it was very stirring. I made an iMovie of the Wales trip using photos and video clips and I detached the singing from the original video and used it in the new video.

Facebook is withholding the audio because it says there could be a copyright issue. How can I find out if the song is in the public domain? I’m not exactly sure of the title because it’s all in Welsh.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recording of a national anthem in a public setting
Posted by: abevilac
Date: October 18, 2023 09:19PM
I did a little more digging and found that it’s the unofficial anthem written in the 1980s, so it’s clearly still under copyright. sad smiley Facebook was right.

Here’s a rousing version of it by the author (who sang in my video too) before a football game.

[m.youtube.com]
Posted by: Diana
Date: October 18, 2023 09:43PM
Contact the author and explain what you are wanting to do. Are you monetizing this? If so, see if they will arrange a fee for it. If not, explain how you think it may be to their benefit; for instance, if the goal is Welsh independence, then since it was written and has become the unofficial anthem, sell it in such a manner. If you’re not monetizing, then explain why you included it. By all means, ASK for permission.

The author can write up something saying they grant permission (for all I know, it may have to be notarized as I’ve not done this before). A copy can be sent to Facebook proving permissions were granted.

The deal with copyright is simply that the work is the author’s and not your own. A small portion of the work, or paraphrasing it, may not require permission but a large amount? Yes. Yes, indeed. More so, attribution is important. Give the author their due.

Good luck. Now, I need to watch the video!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 19, 2023 05:29AM
That is very stirring.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 155
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020