advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Which sugar substitute is cheap and a one to one substitute?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 18, 2023 09:04PM
?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Which sugar substitute is cheap and a one to one substitute?
Posted by: steve...
Date: October 18, 2023 09:30PM
I'm also interested.

I started out with the little pink Sweet'n Low packets for my coffee, then switched to Splenda, which tastes much better. I hear Truvia is good, but don't know how it compares pricewise.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 18, 2023 09:40PM
Some substitutes are hundreds of times sweeter than sugar. I want something where if a recipe calls for one cup of sugar,I use one cup of the substitute.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 18, 2023 09:41PM
Not a 1 to q replacement, but we use Stevia drops. Very small amounts required, like 2 drops in my morning cuppa.

Posted by: vision63
Date: October 18, 2023 09:48PM
Maybe some Corn Syrup.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: October 18, 2023 10:42PM
Splenda granulated sweetener is 1:1. Don't know about cost.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 18, 2023 11:52PM
I hate "fake" or manufactured substitutes, so I use things like as agave, honey, maple syrup. Or just hit the saccharine.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: pqrst
Date: October 19, 2023 01:15AM
Another thing to think about when you use a sugar substitute for other uses like baking
. Is that “bulk” of the substitute maybe very different and that could throw off the recipe.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 19, 2023 06:42AM
agave, honey, maple syrup

The question here is it about a sugar substitute because of a medical condition like diabetes? Agave, honey, and maple syrup-and corn syrup-are all different versions of refined sugars.

And I'll have to research this but I thought I heard something just recently about a problem with stevia.

Something different.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 19, 2023 06:51AM
Dennis,

Different substitutes fair better for different tasks. What is best for baking isn't necessarily best for coffee. What you use for other types of cooking won't necessarily be good for baking or coffee. There is tons of info about this all over the web but knowing the reason and purpose of your request is key to finding the answer. Some sites are geared towards substitutes that have little to no glycemic impact (which is critical for diabetics) others are geared to just avoiding plain ol' sugar whether or not it has a glycemic impact. You get the idea.

Robert
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 19, 2023 07:28AM
Not sure what "one to one" means. (well I guess you explained it)

However, sugar has other functions as Robert M noted.

Sugar is hygroscopic, so it helps baked goods remain moist, if that is desired.

It also functions as a shortening agent in baked goods, which helps to tenderize them.

Salt is something else that can have more than one function in baking. It has its traditional role as a flavor enhancer, but it also controls yeast activity. It is used to retard the growth of yeast, which means longer rise times, and therefore makes breads more flavorful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2023 07:29AM by freeradical.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 19, 2023 08:02AM
….don’t think any are 1 to 1 as each substitute has a different level of sweetness….they make stevia and splenda especially for baking….it is lighter, almost like fake snow……

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2023 09:07AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 19, 2023 08:30AM
It cheap, but good:: allulose
Date: October 19, 2023 08:31AM
Newton,

Some substitutes are definitely one to one replacements for sugar. Xylitol and stevia/erythritol are just a couple. The form of the alternative makes a difference, too. Same goes if the alternative is a blend of different alternatives. Stevia by itself is different than stevia combined with, say, erythritol. Again, Dennis needs to provide more information before anyone can offer him any guidance.

Robert
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: October 19, 2023 08:48AM
anonymouse1

It's expensive here, and it takes about 3-5 times more allulose to match the sweetness of refined sugar. But it does bake similarly to refined sugar. So, I sometimes mix it with stevia for cakes.

Date: October 19, 2023 09:09AM
….don’t use the sugar alcohols (end in -itol)…..they have laxative effects…..

Date: October 19, 2023 09:12AM
NEwton,

True but it's generally a non-issue when you use them in moderation. Some impact people more than others. I use Xylitol for coffee. 1.5 teaspons for a 12 oz mug. No issues.

Robert
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 19, 2023 10:45AM
I use saccharine in coffee because in that liquid I perceive no aftertaste.

Most diet sodas use sucralose and acesulfame potassium but that combination literally makes me nauseous.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 19, 2023 12:19PM
They still use Cyclamates in Europe.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 19, 2023 03:42PM
I use allulose, though it isn't cheap. It's got almost an identical structure/formula to sucrose but is not digestible so has zero effective calories. The taste is pretty close to sugar. You need to use about 130% of the amount of sucrose you would normally use. I don't think there's any such thing as a one-to-one substitute in the world of artificial sweeteners.

In the past I used pure stevia (as opposed to all those commercial products that only have "some" stevia in them and make up the balance by other things that are not necessarily healthy like dextrose, erythritrol, etc.). It's OK but has a bad aftertaste if you put too much in, and the amount needed (<1/8 tsp for 1 tsp sucrose equivalent) is difficult to measure.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: October 19, 2023 03:43PM
….nothin can substitute for the sweet, sweet sugar that your wife gives ‘ya……

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 20, 2023 10:26PM
Allulose is 70% as sweet as table sugar. So you need an extra 33%.

Tiangou
anonymouse1

It's expensive here, and it takes about 3-5 times more allulose to match the sweetness of refined sugar. But it does bake similarly to refined sugar. So, I sometimes mix it with stevia for cakes.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: October 20, 2023 11:13PM
anonymouse1

Tiangou
anonymouse1

Whatever the product is that they sell in grocery stores, either it's not 100% allulose or the story that it's nearly as sweet as table sugar is marketing BS that otherwise legit sites/papers have republished as fact without testing it.

Posted by: davester
Date: October 21, 2023 10:12PM
Tiangou
anonymouse1

Tiangou
anonymouse1

Whatever the product is that they sell in grocery stores, either it's not 100% allulose or the story that it's nearly as sweet as table sugar is marketing BS that otherwise legit sites/papers have republished as fact without testing it.

I've never seen oure allulose (or pure stevia for that matter) in grocery stores. You need to get it off the internet. Anonymouse1 is correct that it is about 70% as sweet as table sugar but the math is wrong. 70% means that you would need to put in 143%, which is about right. Definitely no way would 3-5 times work.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 381
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020