advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Added a 27" 4K next to my 30" Apple Display. Everything looks so tiny on 4k
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 19, 2023 09:48AM
I didn't realize how much more "real estate" would fit in adding this 4K monitor next to my 30" Apple display. The added resolution makes everything look so tiny including dialogue from the OS and applications. I almost need a magnifying glass.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Added a 27" 4K next to my 30" Apple Display. Everything looks so tiny on 4k
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 19, 2023 10:21AM
I finally had to give in and decrease the resolution on my monitors. I'm aged. I needed binoculars to see anything in 4k.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 19, 2023 10:36AM
I just replaced my aging 27" 2560x1440 displays with 27" 4k displays. I use a 27" 5k display as my main display.

I think there are 3 basic options with 4k:
Run it at the native 4k and everything will be tiny, but more real estate.
Run it in "Retina" mode, which will basically be 1080p, so less real estate, everything will be big but sharp.
Run it in between, i.e. 2560x1440 (which matches the resolution of a 5k display in Retina mode).

I was hesitant to run at a non-native resolution, thinking back to old days when doing so would result in a slightly fuzzy picture, but I'm happy to report that running a 27" 4k display at 2560x1440 is almost as sharp as a 27" 5k display (and sharper than my native 1440p displays). So, I'm very happy with the outcome, and I spent less than a quarter of what it would cost to add 2 more 5k displays.

I went with the ThinkVision 27 inch Monitor - P27u-20 [www.lenovo.com] which is the cheapest Thunderbolt 4 monitor I've seen at $500 new and it even has a TB4 pass through port, unlike the Apple Studio Display. I picked up "refurbs" on eBay for $270/ea (out of stock now).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2023 10:37AM by Gareth.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 19, 2023 10:41AM
This is one area where Windows handles these resolution differences better than Apple as there are 125, 150, 175, up to 300% options instead of only Native and 200%/Retina.

You can mix n match depending on your display, I use 100, 125, and 150% on different displays and there are only a few utility apps which just take the 100% and do a fuzzy scaleup. Everything else scales nicely.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 19, 2023 11:20AM
Once upon a time there was ResEdit.

I never used it, but didn't in allow some gappage to be filled?

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 19, 2023 11:22AM
Everything looks so tiny on 4k

This is why I decided that getting a 4K display wasn't that important for me.

I'd rather have a bigger 4K display, >30" or 40".

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 19, 2023 11:27AM
RAMd®d
Everything looks so tiny on 4k

This is why I decided that getting a 4K display wasn't that important for me.

I'd rather have a bigger 4K display, >30" or 40".

Very much this. I have a really nice LG 43" display which is currently set to 2560 x 1440.

Posted by: hal
Date: October 19, 2023 12:05PM
For my TV mini, a 55" 4k screen running as 1080p is perfect from across the room.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 19, 2023 12:20PM
Gareth
I just replaced my aging 27" 2560x1440 displays with 27" 4k displays. I use a 27" 5k display as my main display.

Run it in "Retina" mode, which will basically be 1080p, so less real estate, everything will be big but sharp.
Run it in between, i.e. 2560x1440 (which matches the resolution of a 5k display in Retina mode).

I was hesitant to run at a non-native resolution, thinking back to old days when doing so would result in a slightly fuzzy picture, but I'm happy to report that running a 27" 4k display at 2560x1440 is almost as sharp as a 27" 5k display (and sharper than my native 1440p displays). So, I'm very happy with the outcome, and I spent less than a quarter of what it would cost to add 2 more 5k displays.

I went with the ThinkVision 27 inch Monitor - P27u-20 [www.lenovo.com] which is the cheapest Thunderbolt 4 monitor I've seen at $500 new and it even has a TB4 pass through port, unlike the Apple Studio Display. I picked up "refurbs" on eBay for $270/ea (out of stock now).

Does this monitor use a power brick or cable. By the contents listing it appears to be a cable but I can't tell. I despise power bricks for monitors.

Edit: Nevermind. I found the instruction manual. Product listings that don't clearly show connections are BS. I don't need a thousand photos of the front from all different angles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2023 12:29PM by macphanatic.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 19, 2023 12:30PM
macphanatic
Gareth

Does this monitor use a power brick or cable. By the contents listing it appears to be a cable but I can't tell. I despise power bricks for monitors.

Standard power cable. I also didn't want a power brick and was wondering the same thing and had to find a "big enough" picture of the back of the monitor to see the power cable icon to be "sure".
Posted by: rz
Date: October 19, 2023 02:11PM
Y’all do know you can adjust the font size of Finder windows and icon sizes, and scale of browser windows, right? So you can take advantage of the extra real estate and still be able to see things.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: October 19, 2023 02:51PM
(Hush! Let’s see what happens!..)
Date: October 19, 2023 02:57PM
rz
Y’all do know you can adjust the font size of Finder windows and icon sizes, and scale of browser windows, right? So you can take advantage of the extra real estate and still be able to see things.

No. I didn't know I could adjust the font size of the Finder windows (and icon sizes + scale of browser windows). I guess maybe I "kinda" knew in the recesses of my mind (in the back) but I'm sure laziness and sloth kept me from further investigation.

Posted by: clay
Date: October 19, 2023 03:05PM
I have found that the 1920x1080 "resolution" on a 27" 4k display looks retina to my eyes (sharper than a 24" running 1920x1200) and is a great middle ground for me.
Date: October 19, 2023 03:17PM
clay
I have found that the 1920x1080 "resolution" on a 27" 4k display looks retina to my eyes (sharper than a 24" running 1920x1200) and is a great middle ground for me.

So far, 2304 x 1296 is the sweet spot. I'm gonna fiddle around with rz's suggestion.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 19, 2023 03:23PM
vision63
clay

So far, 2304 x 1296 is the sweet spot. I'm gonna fiddle around with rz's suggestion.

adjusting fonts instead of rez can be very frustrating. THe finder and browsers should be ok, but there is always text somewhere that isn't controllable. Lots of text in webpages are images. And good luck reading the text on photoshop palette windows - stuff like that...
Posted by: clay
Date: October 19, 2023 03:25PM
yeah, I've found the res swapping to be much easier for me. It just works with no futzing around.
Posted by: Diana
Date: October 19, 2023 03:31PM
I had thrown the video from my laptop to the TV through the AppleTV-thingy. The resolution of the TV (it's kinda big?) made everything so small I couldn't read it sitting right in front of it. I may give the ideas this thread have spawned a try...
Date: October 19, 2023 03:38PM
hal
vision63
clay

adjusting fonts instead of rez can be very frustrating. THe finder and browsers should be ok, but there is always text somewhere that isn't controllable. Lots of text in webpages are images. And good luck reading the text on photoshop palette windows - stuff like that...

I spend half my time looking at Photoshop and LIghtroom Panels.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 19, 2023 04:16PM
Gareth

I too run my 27" 4K monitor @ 2560x1440 and am more than happy with how things look onscreen.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: October 19, 2023 05:33PM
The Dell Ultrasharp QHD monitors have been native 2560 x 1440 for a decade or so. The Dell UltraSharp U2722D 27" LCD Monitor is on Amazon for $313
Posted by: JoeM
Date: October 19, 2023 06:21PM
This is why when I recently replaced my Dell 2408 monitors I went with 2 24” Viewsonics @ 1920x1080 instead of 27” 4K monitors. I’ve been working at that resolution on 2 monitors for about 12 years and it’s always been enough real estate for me working in Photoshop and Pro Tools. Plus the 24” screens were about half the price of the 4K 27”.

JoeM
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 19, 2023 08:21PM
I had the same experience a few months ago and posted here.

In the end, I gave the monitor to my son for his windows box. For all the grief we give Redmond, WA, but they are far better at offering good native resolution options for a 27" 4k monitor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 264
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020