advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Have Sonoma installed on MacBook Pro 5,1. Late 2008. (Read 14.1 update warning)
Posted by: Microman
Date: October 25, 2023 10:50AM
IT works. Still some quirks. But doing this is a great learning experience. My main driver is a Late 2012 MacBook Pro running Catalina. And a while ago I thought I was going to be working on my Granddaughers MacBook, so picked up 3 MacBooks for $60, and they all worked.

So using Opencore Legacy Patcher, and following instructions by Mr MacIntosh, it worked great.

Sure its slow boot, but what support they have given to all of the old Macs. They do great work with OCLP!

Mr MacInstosh is the only way to go. His Videos are the greatest, and easiest to follow.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2023 08:59AM by Microman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Have Sonoma installed on MacBook Pro 5,1. Late 2008.
Posted by: gadje
Date: October 25, 2023 10:52AM
Interesting. how much RAM and SSD do you have in that machine? What CPU?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 25, 2023 11:01AM
Microman
IT works. Still some quirks. But doing this is a great learning experience. My main driver is a Late 2012 MacBook Pro running Catalina. And a while ago I thought I was going to be working on my Granddaughers MacBook, so picked up 3 MacBooks for $60, and they all worked.

So using Opencore Legacy Patcher, and following instructions by Mr MacIntosh, it worked great.

Sure its slow boot, but what support they have given to all of the old Macs. They do great work with OCLP!

Mr MacInstosh is the only way to go. His Videos are the greatest, and easiest to follow

[www.youtube.com]

Very cool! I might want to make a modest jump on a 2011 or 2012 model at some point. Good to know this works.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: gabester
Date: October 25, 2023 12:09PM
More importantly what video card do you have in that beast?

g=
Date: October 25, 2023 12:15PM
8 gig Ram
256 SSD

Graphic cards built in: , copy and paste

GeForce 9600M GT* VRAM Type: GDDR3
Details: *This system has dual graphics processors -- a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 256 MB of dedicated GDDR3 SDRAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

Also see: How much faster is the graphics performance of the "Unibody" MacBook Pro when using the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT compared to the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M?

I’m sure it would work great on my Late 2012, even better than this 2008
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 25, 2023 01:46PM
I have one of the same machine with the 2x GPUs and 2 lower models with the single GPU. Sonoma sounds like a fun project!
Posted by: rz
Date: October 25, 2023 05:01PM
How does Safari run?
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 25, 2023 05:33PM
I love that project, has kept several older iMacs out of the landfill.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 25, 2023 05:50PM
Hmm. thanks.

I prob should try this on my 2014 imac.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Smote
Date: October 25, 2023 06:46PM
anything on old MacPro classic towers?

"Defending your own life when in immediate danger to me is a basic right of each person. " Lemon Drop 11/17/2023 03:10 pm

Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008) Private citizens have the right under the Second Amendment to possess an ordinary type of weapon and use it for lawful, historically established situations such as self-defense in a home, even when there is no relationship to a local militia.

"The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner." Right to Keep and Bear Arms: Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-seventh Congress, Second Session. U.S. Government Printing Office. 1982. Digitized September 30, 2008.

From the NYSRPA v Bruen "Today, we decline to adopt that two-part approach. . . . Despite the popularity of this two-step approach, it is one step too many. Step one of the predominant framework is broadly consistent with Heller, which demands a test rooted in the Second Amendment's text, as informed by history."
Date: October 25, 2023 07:00PM
Supported models as of 3 days ago:

[dortania.github.io]
Posted by: Smote
Date: October 26, 2023 01:18AM
THANKS!!!!!!!

"Defending your own life when in immediate danger to me is a basic right of each person. " Lemon Drop 11/17/2023 03:10 pm

Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008) Private citizens have the right under the Second Amendment to possess an ordinary type of weapon and use it for lawful, historically established situations such as self-defense in a home, even when there is no relationship to a local militia.

"The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner." Right to Keep and Bear Arms: Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-seventh Congress, Second Session. U.S. Government Printing Office. 1982. Digitized September 30, 2008.

From the NYSRPA v Bruen "Today, we decline to adopt that two-part approach. . . . Despite the popularity of this two-step approach, it is one step too many. Step one of the predominant framework is broadly consistent with Heller, which demands a test rooted in the Second Amendment's text, as informed by history."
Re: Have Sonoma installed on MacBook Pro 5,1. Late 2008, 14.1 warning....
Date: October 26, 2023 08:58AM
OK, 14.1 has been released and you should watch this video and either go thru the hoops necessary to follow his directions or wait till the OCLP developers work the KDK thing into OCLP. But still lots of fun, and learning.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 240
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020