advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FINALLY, USPS requires a bit of verification for address change form submission
Posted by: hal
Date: October 27, 2023 03:20PM
This always seemed to be the easiest scam of all - submit a change of address for someone else's mail and wait for good stuff to come to you. You could just fill out a form at the PO or online and that was it.

Now you actually have to prove that you are you. Hard to believe that it took this long into the Internet age to get this little bit of protection.

[www.usatoday.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FINALLY, USPS requires a bit of verification for address change form submission
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: October 27, 2023 04:02PM
I just went through this with my sister. I think it's funny they charge you $1.10 to verify your identity.
Re: FINALLY, USPS requires a bit of verification for address change form submission
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 27, 2023 04:09PM
cyclemax
I just went through this with my sister. I think it's funny they charge you $1.10 to verify your identity.

$1.10 per person/entity that delivers at that address. My son had to do a different change of address, as did the non-profit I contributed to as their official mailing address. Quite annoying, actually.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 27, 2023 04:41PM
hal
This always seemed to be the easiest scam of all - submit a change of address for someone else's mail and wait for good stuff to come to you. You could just fill out a form at the PO or online and that was it.

Now you actually have to prove that you are you. Hard to believe that it took this long into the Internet age to get this little bit of protection.

[www.usatoday.com]

About time.

When I had my run-in with identity thieves in early 2020, one of them had my mail held, I assume so he could either keep me from seeing the bills he planned to run up, or to try and grab my bank account information in order to rob me blind.

Thank goodness we have some wonderful people in our local Post Office who quickly helped straighten it out... but they were the first ones to tell me there were no safeguards at all, and that it could happen again tomorrow.
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 27, 2023 05:31PM
I'm embarrassed to say that I never even thought of the possibilities. Somehow I figured they magically verified everything behind the scenes.

To that end, remember when all you needed on your driver's license for a new address was a little sticker on the back?
Posted by: rz
Date: October 27, 2023 07:54PM
When we moved a few years ago, I thought I remember getting at least some verification letters from the post office to at least get some verification that it was from us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 248
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020