advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Going to a Buc-ees is like going to church!
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: October 29, 2023 06:57PM
Wow. Saw a segment on them (Sunday Morning)

Went to TN for the weekend and saw two of them on the way down. Hit one this morning on the way home at about 9ish. Bad Xmas sweaters were out. Tons of beef jerky and fudge plus a lot of fresh food - including bbq.

Then there are a bazillion gas pumps.

Past the other one about 11ish and I could see from the highway there was a backup to get into it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to a Buc-ees is like going to church!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 29, 2023 07:23PM
i like how clean the bathrooms are and Buc-ees has a wide variety of road food but everytime I check they do not have the best gas prices on the road. If you notice the many signs leading up to their exit NEVER show their pump prices. Sometimes stop there but never to fuel my car.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2023 07:24PM by graylocks.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 29, 2023 07:50PM
Is that: beef jerky and fudge, or Beef jerky, and fudge?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 29, 2023 07:51PM
It's fun. They just put one in outside my old college, every time I've been by there it's absolutely covered up.

I recommend the Texas cheesesteak burrito.

(In my experience, the ones around here consistently have the cheapest gas. It's the stuff on the inside that they take you to the cleaners on.)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 29, 2023 08:00PM
There is one being built in Ocala, I'll check it out at some point but not worth a special trip.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 29, 2023 08:52PM
I don’t get it. It’s a gas station, although I nice one. I care to be in this gas station about as long as any other.

Date: October 29, 2023 08:56PM
mattkime
I don’t get it. It’s a gas station, although I nice one. I care to be in this gas station about as long as any other.

The store part is kind of like a combination Walmart, Michael's and every fast food franchise on steroids with very well kept, spacious bathrooms. In small town america it is a very big attraction.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 29, 2023 08:58PM
graylocks
mattkime

The store part is kind of like a combination Walmart, Michael's and every fast food franchise on steroids with very well kept, spacious bathrooms. In small town america it is a very big attraction.

Yup, an amalgam of disinterest.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 29, 2023 09:20PM
What is a Buc-ees and why is there beef jerky at your church?

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2023 09:20PM by davemchine.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: October 29, 2023 09:24PM
On I-75 between Florida and Tennessee, the 2 Buc-ees in Georgia are great for an old lady driving alone in the middle of the night, because they are always open, with plenty of gas pumps and plenty of ice, plus clean bathrooms with real doors. I was gobsmacked on my first visit at the size of the Warner-Robins store which seemed an amalgamation of Cracker Barrel and Dick's Sporting Goods with truck stop snacks and Seven-Eleven or WaWa grab & go sandwiches (plus barbecue and all the rest). I wish they had more vegetarian and healthier options for food, although most visitors really seem to go for the barbecue and the deli case full of jerky. Not to mention the popcorn, fudge, Dipping Dots ice cream, spiced nuts — aargh, it goes on and on! There is even an area of gourmet pet snacks.

Since they are busy night and day, it feels relatively safe as a place to stop in the wee hours of the morning (but perhaps that is just my perception). I don't think I'd ever consider it a destination itself, though, but maybe it's different for those who live close by (and eat barbecue!).
Date: October 29, 2023 09:58PM
A-Polly, I travel alone often. 14k road miles this year since March. Love’s Truck Stop are also clean and well lit at all hours plus they always have a selection of banana, apples, and cut up cantaloupe, watermelon, and honeydew melon in cups. There are other options on the heathy side like hard boiled eggs. Sometimes i have my dog with me and many have put in dog parks. Bathrooms are regularly serviced. Plus with their app you sometimes get 10 cents a gallon off on gas. They are more plentiful than Buc-ees. give them a visit.

Admittedly, this old lady no longer travels much past sundown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2023 09:59PM by graylocks.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 29, 2023 10:09PM
My brother and his wife stopped at a Buc-ees out of curiosity maybe a year-and-a-half or so ago. They both came down with Covid a very short while after. So Buc-ees is kind of a family joke now.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 29, 2023 11:07PM
We just don't never those ginormous gas convenience stores here. The closest we come is the truck stops along I-84.

But I have stopped at those places in DE and MD that have thr greasy fried chicken; those are pretty good.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 30, 2023 07:10AM
Been going to Buc-ees for more than a decade now.

If you know, you know. Simple.

It's a hoot. Don't take it seriously.

They usually have a dozen Tesla chargers now as well. I assume Tesla drivers are big spenders.
Park,
Plug,
Relieve
Shop
Unplug & Leave.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 30, 2023 07:14AM
Rolando
I assume Tesla drivers are big spenders.

Many that are have moved on to Lucid.
Posted by: August West
Date: October 30, 2023 11:35AM

...with very well kept, spacious bathrooms.

Never been to one, but this is travel gold.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: October 30, 2023 11:42AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Is that: beef jerky and fudge, or Beef jerky, and fudge?

We need single malt scotch to debate Oxford comma placement!
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 30, 2023 12:12PM
mattkime
graylocks
mattkime

Yup, an amalgam of disinterest.

Buc-ees is a place of glory.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 30, 2023 01:53PM
I'll admit to traveling the 30 minutes it takes to get to the nearest Buc-ees in Daytona Beach, just for fun. There's also a Direct Tools Outlet across the street, so I always go to both.

As I type this, there's a bag of Beaver Nuggets in front of me. I had a bag of their Teriyaki Beef Jerky with me last winter when visiting my BIL. Gave him some, and he liked it so much he ordered it online.

Any yes, their bathrooms are hands-down the cleanest public bathrooms I've ever been in. And each stall is completely separate... not your regular stalls. They have real doors on them.
Posted by: JPK
Date: October 30, 2023 11:53PM
I would go to church more often if they served beef brisket sandwiches.

JPK
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: October 31, 2023 07:07AM
I agree. Two places I have no desire to ever visit again.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: October 31, 2023 01:30PM
graylocks, thanks for the Love's Truck Stop recommendation. I've seen them but can't recall ever stopping there.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: October 31, 2023 03:30PM
Buc-ee's is a Texas institution going beyond the borders now. I don't buy gas there.... but really glad they have Tesla Superchargers at them now. Crazy amount of merchandise... but all starts with the best public bathrooms I've ever experienced... let along best along any drive/road stop. Always clean, always top notch, always no waiting, all the time....

That being said - Not like going to church, I get a lot more out of Church each week to say the least. Any comparable there might be the wrong church.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2023 03:31PM by OWC Larry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 289
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020