advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Garage door automation (geofencing?)
Posted by: gadje
Date: October 30, 2023 10:06AM
I would like to try to automate the garage door opening so doors open automagically when when approach home, so I do not have to press the buttons on the car ceiling to open the doors.

I have iPhones, and MyQ garage door openers. I am not sure if I can integrate MyQ with geofencing... I can try.

But how does the phone know which garage door ope open? we have 2 cars and I like to part car 1 in slot 1 and car 2 in slot 2, regardless of who drives the car. Can the geofencing shortcut figure out which car I am driving and open the appropriate door?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Garage door automation (geofencing?)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 30, 2023 10:16AM
How long is your driveway?

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 30, 2023 10:44AM
Tesla used to offer an option that would open/close the garage door as you approached it.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: October 30, 2023 10:46AM
mattkime
How long is your driveway?

about 70 feet
Date: October 30, 2023 10:47AM
ztirffritz
Tesla used to offer an option that would open/close the garage door as you approached it.

My neighbor has that, it's nice but I do not own a Tesla.
Date: October 30, 2023 10:50AM
I don't think this is straight forward for a number of reasons but there are plenty of people working through this such as - [community.home-assistant.io]

Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 30, 2023 10:59AM
gadje,

I understand the feeling. There is many a time when I get to my office and I'd love to have the smart garage door opener open the garage for me automatically or close it when I leave. The thing is, I don't trust smart systems enough to give them that level of automation.

A light? Sure. Even an alarm system, possibly. Actually open a door that allows someone physical entrance to the premises? No. That I wouldn't allow. This is especially true since there are times when I just pass my office and not actually need to go in just yet, i.e. drive by on my way to the post office or the bank. I'd feel the same way if it was my home.

The last thing I'd want is a smart system to glitch and inadvertently open or close a garage door accidentally.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2023 02:21PM by Robert M.
Date: October 30, 2023 11:07AM
Robert M
The thing is, I don't trust smart systems enough to give them that level of automation.

Agreed.
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: October 30, 2023 01:10PM
You can do it in a roundabout way. For safety and security reasons, Apple won't let HomeKit do it nor will MyQ/Chamberlain.

But the workaround is you can get a HomeKit supported plug in outlet, and trigger that using geofence, and have that in turn send the command "when light switch xxx turns on open garage door".

I have it so it pops up in CarPlay when I hit the geofence distance - basically it covers both entrances to my smallish subdivision (3 cul-de-sacs, with about 12 houses in each). Once I drive into the subdivision, and am 30 seconds from my house just press the MyQ popup that appeared on the infotainment system and the door triggers. No "drive in and the door goes up" as that would be rather foolish and prone to accidental opening.

Reddit Thread

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Date: October 30, 2023 01:44PM
Thanks, I’ll check that Reddit after I get off the plane.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2023 01:45PM by gadje.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 30, 2023 02:06PM
You want to automate something that takes like 1/2 a second to reach up and push a button?
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 30, 2023 02:24PM
Seems like the easiest option would be to buy a Tesla?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 30, 2023 02:26PM
Nice, Jamie!
Date: October 30, 2023 02:40PM
If your garage door opener supports HomeKit, you'll get a garage door button in carplay. Its an extra step to press it, and your phone needs to be connected, but its very convenient.

I do have automations set up for my garage door. I have them for leaving and arriving, so I hit a button on my phone once and the door opens and closes.
Date: October 30, 2023 04:15PM
rz
You want to automate something that takes like 1/2 a second to reach up and push a button?

Why not make things complicated when you have an opportunity?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 30, 2023 04:21PM
rz

I'd like to do the same thing, because if the gate can start opening when I'm down the block, then it'll be open by the time I get there. Otherwise, I have to pull up to it (range is limited), spend the 1/2 second to push a button and then wait 10 seconds for the gate to open.

I'd be happy with a CarPlay button to accomplish the task (don't need geofencing), but, I'm waiting for SwitchBot to add Matter/HomeKit to their button pusher before I can begin my setup.. It's supported now! Let the automation begin!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2023 04:22PM by Gareth.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: October 30, 2023 06:02PM
- Hey Siri, open gate one.
- You’ll have to unlock your IPhone first.

No unlock if done on Apple Watch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2023 06:04PM by rich in distress.
Date: October 30, 2023 06:45PM
gadje
rz

Why not make things complicated when you have an opportunity?

Previous response was a joke, and from an airplane.

Now from the laptop I can provide a better explanation. One car: OK, I back off into the garage anyway, and by the time I stop the car, put it in Reverse and slowly back off, the garage is fully open.

The other cars I drive it straight in, and like Gareth, I have to slow down or even stop and wait for the garage to fully open.

I am not concerned like Robert M since I never drive by my house without stopping. And the same script can be used to close the garage once I am outside the geofence. So even if I were to drive by and the garage would start opening, it would also close when I exit the geofence.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 01, 2023 10:36AM

What your 1/2 is to you isn't what it is to somebody else, and you don't get to decide it is.

I say if you can eliminate that 1/2s not because of the time but because of the inconvenience, why not.

If you can't, you can't, but if you can...

I like that supermarket doors open as I approach, even though I'm thoroughly capable of pushing a 'manual' door open without breaking stride.

They're automated because some people can't open the doors easily, and mainly because pushing the doors open with a cart is not a good alternative.

I like that some lights turn on and off when I enter and leave a room.

I like that elevator doors open with they arrive at a floor without the 1/2s it would take to push the Open Door button.

I love the über convenience automation can bring, it's the unreliability in various instances that I don't like.

I'd love to have my door unlock with I approach with a bags of groceries, and lock X minutes after I leave.

That hasn't been practical yet, but maybe one day, before I die.

And on my bike, saving that 1/2s motion would be a huge convenience, and a varying degree of safety.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 283
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020