advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So what are you doing for Halloween
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 31, 2023 11:33AM
All sorts of neat stuff to do for Halloween from parades to handing out candy to decorating your yard to handing out glow stick bracelets for kids to be seen...what are you up to today?

for some of us...

not much change from regular routines
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So what are you doing for Halloween
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 31, 2023 11:51AM
Watching the World Series with the porch lights off. Maybe I'll stick my head out the door and yell "Get off my grass!

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: timg
Date: October 31, 2023 12:04PM
sacrificing a couple pumpkins ... not many other plans. we don't tend to get many trick or treaters so it'll be a slow night.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: October 31, 2023 12:07PM
Pumpkins have been carved in the past 2 days. Decorations have been put up. Costumes for the kids procured. Plans have been made where to trick or treat. On to chaperoning!

Unfortunately I have been diagnosed with prediabetes in the past couple of weeks. Yay. Gotta be good.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 31, 2023 12:12PM
We should have a fairly quiet night. For the last 5 years a nearby church did a "trunk or treat" event. Our street became an overflow parking lot and that also brought hundreds of trick or treaters. For some reason they are skipping it this year. Last year we just decided to not be home.

We should have a quiet night with maybe a few dozen kids from the neighborhood. We have some minimal decorations and only a plastic pumpkin as I have an allergy to all squash.

We plan to have a warming fire in a Solo fire pit as eventing temps will be at freezing. Yes, we will take extra care to avoid flaming costumes!

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 31, 2023 01:06PM
handing out about 30lbs of candy. We usually get 1000+ kids

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: October 31, 2023 01:14PM
Watching the "Free Candy - Movie Trailer" at least once and the going out to see I Think I'm Falling: The Songs of Joni Mitchell at a local theater.

The Free Candy trailer was created by many of the folks associated with the Seinfeld sitcom. It's held up after all these years. Apparently, it's a spoof that was created as a promo for one of Seinfeld's books.

Todd's Caramel-covered-keys board
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 31, 2023 02:18PM
I’ll be handing out candy to the first hundred or so kids. When we run out of candy I will turn off the lights and hide in a back room.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: October 31, 2023 02:54PM
I went to Trader Joe’s in costume this morning, rode the horses, had their feet trimmed, and we are going to a friend’s place because he gets lots of trick or treaters. There will be costumes and beer. We don’t get any kids at our house.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 31, 2023 03:22PM
…..lederhosen……

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rz
Date: October 31, 2023 03:42PM
We're going to our old neighborhood for their Halloween parade. They started it during the pandemic, and it was really popular so they decided to do it every Halloween since. Neighbors have a table at the street (there are no sidewalks) and the kids parade by and pick up treats. Afterwards, the adults get together at a couple of the houses for a party.

New neighborhood - two years ago, we had maybe a dozen kids show up, but we were at the old hood and left out a tray with candy. Saw each one on the Ring... kids were good, only taking one piece each. Last year we decided to stay home and had NOBODY show up.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 31, 2023 05:19PM
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: October 31, 2023 05:56PM
Whole from yard covered in assorted graveyard scenes, witches cauldron 'burning' smoke machine, 7 ft wooden Sasquatch bungied to a tree, and my John Deere tractor running over and spewing out skeleton bones. I'm dressed as the Swedish Chef handing out full size candy bars, only kinds we like, so if there are leftovers...

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 31, 2023 06:24PM
Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died

They are in the front yard. devil smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 31, 2023 06:25PM
Fewer and fewer kids are coming by each year. There will be 2 families coming by and probably a couple of teens at 8:00. We'll turn off the lights by 8:30.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 31, 2023 06:34PM
Just came in from outside, not one house on the street has their lights on. The last time the street was this dark was after a hurricane knocked out power (and even then several places had lights from generators).

We only got 5-10 kids, and most of them drove up themselves.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 31, 2023 06:58PM
Slow here, too. I think some of that is due to the 29° temperature. That leaves more candy for me - Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and plain Hershey Chocolate bars. I’ve already eaten more than I’ve given out.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 31, 2023 07:56PM
rgG
Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died

They are in the front yard. devil smiley
smiley-laughing001

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Date: October 31, 2023 07:58PM
Just shut down the outside lights and displays.

Had 45 kids, slightly down from the 50 last year.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: pqrst
Date: November 01, 2023 12:17AM
Went over to give a friend a hand with setting his front yard. Very elaborate (he is in film effects). Fog machines, flashing lights, couple of giant spiders on house. Lots of kids 200-300. Most common was Wednesday Adams (20), next was princess peach (Mario brothers).
Date: November 01, 2023 05:48AM
DinerDave
Whole from yard covered in assorted graveyard scenes, witches cauldron 'burning' smoke machine, 7 ft wooden Sasquatch bungied to a tree, and my John Deere tractor running over and spewing out skeleton bones.

I'm dressed as the Swedish Chef handing out full size candy bars, only kinds we like, so if there are leftovers...

Dave

Swedish Chef is one of my favorites. I wore a Beaker mask/hat most of the day. Then I was Cookie monster,
Date: November 01, 2023 05:52AM
Oh, and it was quite cold, so we think that is the reason for a little lower turnout where my friend lives. He had more un-costumed older teens than anything, including a group who tried to come to the house twice, claimed they didn’t know where they were, and then, when he asked where they were from, stalled and then said they didn’t know. That’s different. There were a few families that came on golf carts where the dad driving was drinking and smoking… they said it’s the way to maximize candy (can get to more houses).

There were a few cute little kids - I love the light up or stuffed animal costumes. People get trucked in from all over fof this neighborhood for some reason.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 01, 2023 07:47AM
I went to school (work) in costume ... we were requested by our department to do so.

By the time I got home, it was dark out, and my Ring cam only recorded ONE trick-or-treat'er, and I wasn't home when they came by...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 01, 2023 09:36AM
I'm guessing we ended up with about 150 kids tonight, which is more than expected. Especially since we hit 32° right at sunset.

I think a lot of families did not get the memo that the nearby church was not having a trunk or treat this year. Families still parked at the church and said "That neighborhood was pretty good last year".

Camp fire was a hit. Kids were confused, as we have two houses now with our ADU finished. I was giving candy as was my daughter in law. We were known as the "two for one" house.

Once difference was that by 7:30pm it was over. Most of my neighbors had turned out the lights so I did as well. We had two pieces of candy left.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: mspace
Date: November 01, 2023 09:44AM
Celebrated the Other's b-day.

Starting to pack up the Pumpkin Collection for The Apt Painting (first time in 23 years of being here). Waited until after The Day.

Luckily, the super agreed to do it in sections, so one of 3 sections a month or so. First is hallway, kitchen, bath. Then bedroom, last living room. I'm calling him Sensei now, as he's been teaching us a lot about what to do re: finer details. Although NYC says management can paint for free every 3 years, he'll be worth paying for his care and expertise.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 332
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020