advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: Get your colonoscopy done people!
Posted by: Diana
Date: October 31, 2023 01:45PM
A week ago this past Sunday, I texted my mom’s doctor regarding her stomach pain and decreased appetite. They called me the next day, wanting her to go to a walk-in facility for testing so the doctor would have the results back for her appointment later that week. I chose to take her to an ER, as they would have most of the equipment needed to adequately handle the work up. They did a CT, and from those results decided that she needed admittance to the hospital as the results strongly suggested colon cancer. More tests were done, and the biopsies came back as an aggressive malignancy with what appears to be some metastasis.

On Saturday, she underwent surgery to remove the “monster tumor” (her surgeon’s words) along with any involved tissue he found. Two-thirds of the colon (approximately) was removed, as well as more of the small intestine than he originally thought, and the associated lymph glands in the area. One of the adrenals has a mass as well, but that has to wait. She is currently recovering, and isn’t happy about the pain nor the food, so I guess she is getting better.

We will have to wait until she heals from the surgery before we can discuss any further steps.

All because the colonoscopy prep was “unpleasant.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Get your colonoscopy done people!
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 31, 2023 01:49PM
I did the Cologuard option this year.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 31, 2023 01:55PM
Sorry to hear!

Also, two of my grandparents died of colon cancer, making it through 8 decades but still very active. Proper screening would have prevented the problem.

I will get mine on time. Its not far off.

Posted by: Numo
Date: October 31, 2023 02:01PM
Also sorry to hear about your mom. Thank you for the reminder.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: October 31, 2023 02:13PM
One of my professional associates regrets not getting colonoscopies after being diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. He's still alive for now but had his colon removed. He's been living with a stoma and a colosotmy bag for a couple of years, but he's not sure if he'll be around next year.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 31, 2023 02:16PM
I hope your mother recovers. Take care, Diana.

The prep is nothing compared to getting colon cancer, a horrible disease.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 31, 2023 02:20PM
The prep is an inconvenient DAY. The result of not catching something in time is not worth the gamble. Best of luck to your mom.
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 31, 2023 02:21PM
Got mine two weeks ago, the full prep route, they always find a couple of benign polyps to remove when they're in there. And mine is done in a hospital building, if there's any complications I can be admitted immediately. This time they want me back in 5 years, the time before they said 3 years, I think they base it on what they find and the size.

It seems that after a certain age they stop doing them, not sure how old your mother was and if she was in the age range where the tend to stop.
Posted by: jardster
Date: October 31, 2023 02:22PM
I am 2 years from my Stage 3B Colon CA diagnosis. No symptoms, was doing a routine colonoscopy at 47 years old. Doing it then saved my life.

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: October 31, 2023 03:04PM
Best wishes everybody.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 31, 2023 03:12PM
Just a couple weeks short of my 14th year since I was diagnosed with what turned out to be stage 3 colon cancer. Only symptom was a minor change in movements that persisted. Was 54 at the time, having a colonoscopy had fallen off my radar due to some family issues and needing to get a new primary care doctor after the one I had before that had moved away.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 31, 2023 03:29PM
Hoping for the best for your mom, Diana. Thanks for the reminderd.

Posted by: Gilbert
Date: October 31, 2023 03:40PM
Good reminder to all and hope your mother has a speedy recovery.

I had my first colonoscopy at 52. Came back without any issue so doctor said to come back in 10 years. As wurm said, it was only one day of inconvenience, but now gives me 10 years of peace.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 31, 2023 03:46PM
I had diverticulitis in 2016 which went septic, and I ended up having my sigmoid colon removed. Had the colostomy bag for a few months, and had a colonoscopy before being reattached. They told me I was good for 10 years, so I have a few years before I'm due.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 31, 2023 05:11PM
Hope your mom gets well enough to get angry, (my wife's benchmark for demonstrating recovery). And thanks for the reminder, it's coming on 10 years since my last so it's time to saddle up again.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: October 31, 2023 05:19PM
Just a bit of advice. The colonoscopy procedure is a piece of cake. However, the prep beforehand is the unpleasant part. It you are having a routine colonoscopy, you can choose your prep method. I recommend against the gallon of nasty salt water they want you to drink. You can use Supa-prep which is a small volume med followed by water or they have pills you can take, followed by drinking water. Both of these are way more pleasant.
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: October 31, 2023 06:11PM
Like Maddog mentioned, I did the SuTab pills prep and it was much better/easier than what my wife had to do for hers. The insurance didn't cover all the cost, but it was worth it to me.
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 31, 2023 06:20PM
Mine is scheduled for next Tuesday. Monday will be unpleasant!
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 31, 2023 06:51PM
Hope for the best for your family.

Yeah, pester people in your lives to get it checked. You are doing them a favor.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 31, 2023 06:53PM
I’ve never had the required driver for a lift home so I get to see and hear everything. I cannot tell precancerous polyps from normal tissue so I don’t recommend a do it yourself colonoscopy. Fortunately, my Medicare Disadvantage plan covers the cost so that do it yourself was just a one time thing.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: October 31, 2023 07:22PM
Got the call into the surgeon last week, just waiting for them to call back with a time. I'm on the 3 years schedule as I had 8 polyps removed last time.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: November 01, 2023 12:07AM
Reminds me - I did the Cologuard thing earlier this month but never logged on to get the results.

Gotta find the details (was busy that week)
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 01, 2023 07:54AM
Wishing your mom a speedy recovery.

I did Cologuard during COVID, and so was due for either a repeat of that or a colonoscopy. Because Cologuard can miss things, I opted for the latter, which I got done this past summer and luckily everything came out clean (pun intended).

I agree that the prep is the awful part... my insurance wouldn't cover the pills, so I had to do the nasty liquid. That part wasn't all that bad, I felt... the really hard part was not being able to eat. There is one little pro tip I learned on that point: check with your doc, but gummy bears (colors other than red) were OK to eat, since they're essentially just thick gelatin.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2023 07:55AM by PeterB.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 01, 2023 08:17AM
PeterB
Wishing your mom a speedy recovery.

I did Cologuard during COVID, and so was due for either a repeat of that or a colonoscopy. Because Cologuard can miss things, I opted for the latter, which I got done this past summer and luckily everything came out clean (pun intended).

I agree that the prep is the awful part... my insurance wouldn't cover the pills, so I had to do the nasty liquid. That part wasn't all that bad, I felt... the really hard part was not being able to eat. There is one little pro tip I learned on that point: check with your doc, but gummy bears (colors other than red) were OK to eat, since they're essentially just thick gelatin.

Actually, one can "drink" clear chicken broth. Very clear! But it's enough to keep you on two feet. I've nearly passed out twice from the lack of nutrition but i learned this workaround my last time. But I'm overdue again.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: decay
Date: November 01, 2023 09:18AM
[talkleisure.com]

There is no scientific objection to drinking kombucha before a colonoscopy.

In fact, the probiotics in kombucha will help to keep your gut healthy and bacteria-free in the days leading up to your procedure.

However, you cannot take anything with red, blue, or purple dye.

---
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 01, 2023 10:42AM
I had three of them done last year because I had put this off.

Three of them because there are are only so many polyps that can be removed in one procedure.
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 01, 2023 10:48AM
Encouraging news for your mother: in 1993 operation and a year of chemo for stage 3 colon cancer. Still alive and 91!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 01, 2023 11:02AM
samintx
Encouraging news for your mother: in 1993 operation and a year of chemo for stage 3 colon cancer. Still alive and 91!!!!!!!!!!!

That's beautiful, Sam. Here's to more happy days.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: rz
Date: November 01, 2023 11:21AM
A couple of tips I learned about the prep:
1) Try to make the stuff you have to drink as cold as possible
2) Drink it with a straw

The straw allows you to direct it to the back of your throat so that you don't taste the nastiness as much
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 01, 2023 02:39PM
Regarding the ColoGuard thing, I was encouraged to order a kit (free with insurance), but after reading all the disclaimers that "a negative result doesn't mean you don't have it and a positive result doesn't mean you do", I figured why bother. I had my last one in 2016 and am due again in a couple of years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2023 03:35PM by wurm.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 01, 2023 03:10PM
Had it done recently after a positive Cologuard result.

SuTab tablet prep for me as well.

Couple of polyps removed with no indication of cancer, so I'll be back in a few years.

No problems with the prep, but given this was my first rodeo I discovered:

1. couldn't 'deflate'...after 30 miserable minutes in recovery I just had to go home & wait several very uncomfortable hours for that to resolve.

2. apparently I'm allergic to propofol...first words I said after waking were "emesis basin" & so needed a couple of syringes of Zofran in my IV to get that under control.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2023 03:12PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 01, 2023 04:43PM
Bill in NC
1. couldn't 'deflate'...after 30 miserable minutes in recovery I just had to go home & wait several very uncomfortable hours for that to resolve.

If you are unable to deflate after four hours, please see your doctor.

smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 368
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020